1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to OTA and have questions

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by ercjncprdtv, Sep 14, 2009.

1. ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv Legend

Feb 11, 2008
    My question is, when does the guide information start populating for my OTA channels? Or does it ever list such info? All the guide lists is "Digital Service" for all ota's, though it does list the correct channel/subchannel names or call letters. Yes, I do subscribe to the Los Angeles DMA locals package.

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Should take anywhere from a couple of hours to a full day. Sometimes the nightly download will trigger the listings.

3. ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv Legend

Feb 11, 2008
    ok thanks

4. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Have you tried doing a check switch. If not, might want to try that.

5. dishdude19

dishdude19 Cool Member

Dec 8, 2003
    I am new to Dish Network HD, and I want to connect an antenna to my box. However, before I can even do it, do I need to purchase an additional part? I don't see an antenna input on the back of the box. Thanks for the help!

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    dishdude -> Need to know what receiver you have, not all Dish receivers have an antenna input for OTA channels.

For the OP -> Do you subscribe to HD LiLs through Dish? If you don't, then you aren't going to ever get OTA EPG data in the guide.

7. dishdude19

dishdude19 Cool Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Thanks for the reply, Stewart. I have a 722vp HDTV receiver. In the menu, I have the option to scan for locals; I just couldn't find the antenna input.

No, I can't LiL HDTV because trees block my ability (according to the installer) to receive local HDTV. Thus, I put up a 20ft. outdoor antenna. I'm in Tallahasse, FL FYI.

Thanks again.

8. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The antenna input is on the back of the receiver really close to where the UHF remote antenna port is. It should be marked/labeled for antenna use.

The only other thing will be to make sure the "Analog" setting is on "offair" and then you can scan the channels and see what you get.

9. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    Some OTA channels never send guide data to Dish. Unfortunately, Dish does not get it from the OTA stream. It relies on the channel provider to send it to the labyrinth of data providers where any one of them can drop the ball leaving you with no guide data, and every vendor along the way poi9nting the finger at the others! :-(

I have 4 or 5 sub-channels which still have "digital service" in them, and likely always will. I have written emails to the base channels locally to complain and it took a few months and some followups on my part, but the data finally showed up for them. Not worth it to me to get all the sub channels working as fast as they change them.

In the end, the only place in this picture that cares about you personally is your local TV station. Use their leverage to get the guide data there. Sometimes they won't care either! :(

10. dishdude19

dishdude19 Cool Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Thanks, Stewart & Jeff, for the response. I was so afraid that some models of my receiver might require me to install equipment to get my locals via off air antenna. I will look again near the UHF remote area.
    Thanks again... Happy Thanksgiving!

11. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You're welcome... FYI, assuming you have a 722 you should find it just fine... BUT if you actually have a 722K receiver, then the OTA module is optional and you won't find it unless/until you add the optional expansion module.