1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to OTA... Question

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by CopyChief, Oct 28, 2010.

1. CopyChief

CopyChief Legend

Jan 17, 2005
    I'm brand-new to OTA with Dish on my 722. Bought an antenna today, getting ready for the probable shutdown of Fox next week. I'm in St. Louis, and am less than 20 miles from all of the network towers, so I figured an indoor model would be fine. Generally, it is. I'm getting a signal strength better than 75 on most channels. Strangely, though, the signal still drops out from time to time. It seems strange to me that the signals would drop out at this level. When it comes back, the level goes right back to 75.

Would a signal amplifier help with this problem? Or is there something else I should try? I have moved the antenna to all convenient locations, save installing one in the attic, which isn't going to happen anytime soon.

thanks.

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Probably the best answer would be an outside antenna.

What you're probably seeing is multipath on your indoor antenna.

3. hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    Copy Chief stated, "...getting ready for the probable shutdown of Fox next week."

---------

Here's hoping you can take that bad boy back!

4. iamru

iamru Cool Member

Nov 13, 2010
    The OTA guide data is missing on a couple of channels in the Birmingham AL area.

WBIQ PBS
    10-2
    IQ
    shows PBS programming (10-1) in guide
    instead of PBS IQ programming.

WCFT ABC
    33-1
    Shows Digital service in guide instead of programming info.

5. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    If your signal level indicator is varying greatly, it's more likely that you are experiencing multipath.

6. iamru

iamru Cool Member

Nov 13, 2010
    What is multipath

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The signal is bouncing off objects between you and the towers and multiple versions of the signal arrive at your location causing poor signal reliability. In the old days of analog, it would have manifested itself primarily in ghosting, if you remember ever seeing that. But digital signals just lock and unlock when it occurs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipath_interference