New to Satellite

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by keri50, Jul 29, 2011.

1. keri50

keri50 New Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Hi, we are cable users and are interested in trying out satellite. I have several offers for DirectTV that are really good offers but I have heard from my satellite friends that Dish is better. Does Dish offer any promos or discounts on top of their advertised prices ever? Like a AAA discount or something? The channel line ups on DirectTv are a little more family friendly also, there seem to be more kids channels. It seems with Dish you have to buy a top tier package to get all of the cartoon channels, like Boomerang and Nick Jr. I was wanting to pay out right for installation and not sign a contract in case we just do not like it. Since this is all new I wanted to ask your questions and experiences. I just found this forum today and I am so glad! :)

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The discounts and promotions only happen once. After that, any discounts you might get are based on what kind of customer you are (and they typically aren't much).

DISH Network doesn't have a AAA discount but like DIRECTV, they offer a referral credit program.

Bundling with phone service may or may not be available to you.

The key consideration is how much you pay month-to-month as you'll be stuck with it for at least two years.

The main thing to remember is don't aim low. Get everything you can when you give up your virginity as you won't get comparable offers again.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    What you need to do is to get information on DirecTV and DISH. See what each has to offer, compare, then choose which one will best provide what you are looking for as a satellite TV provider.

4. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Such is not to say that either of them are necessarily the best fit for a given customer.

5. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    One of the things you mentioned is that you don't want to be in a contract situation. That really changes things by quite a bit as all the 'discounts' and 'offers' are all based on the fact that they come with a 2-year contract that has significant early termination fees that can come into play should you want out of the contract.

Technically you can't buy DirecTV equipment, you are always leasing it. I don't think there is a way to start with DirecTV without a contract.

With Dish, you can buy the equipment and pay for the installation. And that incurs no contractual obligation.

Only you can determine if it makes good economical sense to you to not have a contract. From my point of view, I don't think it does.

With no contract and no discounts because of that, the programming costs are very close to get the 'family friendly' channels. To get all that you specified, you need Choice Xtra with Direct which is $66/month. To get those same channels, then you need Dish's Top 250 which is $70/month. Note that some of the children's stuff is not in HD on either service and that the SD on Dish is significantly better than Direct's.

You need to decide which equipment you want, how much is that going to cost with no discounts if you don't want a contract, and which programming makes the most sense for your situation.

In many situations with 1 or 2 receivers of any kind, Dish is usually cheaper. With more than 2 receivers, then Direct generally will be cheaper. That said, the difference is usually not big in most situations.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Really? The OP states he is a cable customer interested in trying out satellite. Where else do you suggest he look? :rolleyes:

7. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    If you are a sports fan, DirecTV would be a better fit. DISH still refuses to carry the MLB Network. In some areas they don't even carry the local sports teams , such as in New York.,

8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Dish is cheaper than DirecTV and cheaper.

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Based on the Dish home page I went to this a.m., looking down towards the bottom you could save up to $700.:D

[​IMG]

Actually, what you have to find out is what it will cost you after all the deals expire to get the channels you can't live without. And you need to be aware that the extensive "on demand" viewing with many cable systems (like Comcast) is simply not available on satellite. It's getting a little better, but that would be a big deal for some.

Satellite, on the other hand, offers generally better DVR equipment and other features.

But to repeat myself, what you have to find out is what it will cost you after all the deals expire to get the channels you can't live without.

10. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006

11. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Not to mention that Dishnetwork seems to be more generous.

Recent promotions such as Cinemax for a year for 1 cent, some had it for 2 or 3 years at 1cent a year.

Recently they gave 1 year of starz for free as a gift to current subscribers.

Equipment:
    The VIP922 has sling built in for example.
    the later HD DVRs hooked up to an antenna using the optional OTA module can record 2 satellite channels and two OTA HD channels at the same time for a total of four simultaneous recordings as well as playing back something previously recorded.

OTOH DirecTV has some nifty features too that seem to have come at the expense of their DVRs speed.

12. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    Duh !

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    IPTV. Parents recognize early on that children's shows are 80%+ repeats and the kids don't seem to care.

The point is that satellite may or may not be better than what the OP currently has; especially if they are heavily vested in media servers and/or have gobs of TVs littering the household.

15. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Well I've told many a potential subs, AFTER talking to them & assessing their needs, that they might be better off with "status quo". Sorry to have to say this in obviously a DBS forum, but satellite TV is NOT necessarily for everyone! There are many potential subs I've seen that should NOT touch it with a 10' pole & that the truth of the matter is, cable can be, & is simpler (& cheaper, actually) in some instances.

Again though, it ALL comes down to in what a sub is looking for...

It sure as hell is NOT if you are talking more than a couple receivers (particularly DVR's), assuming like for like prog packages! :rolleyes:

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    :welcome_s

And in case you haven't figured it out yet, there are some die-hard fans of one system here. "Their" provider can do nothing wrong and the other provider can do nothing right.

But they all mean well.

17. MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    Hi and :welcome_s to DBS Talk. You have gotten a lot of good advice regarding some of your options. If you would like any specific questions answered about DISH Network, please feel free to Pm them to any DIRT member and we would be happy to help in anyway that we can. Good luck and I wish you the best in the future!

18. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    If you are looking for kids programming, you could try Dish America Gold for $60/mo or America's Top 250 for $70 if you want Disney and the Nickelodeon networks.

It will cost $6/mo for a duo DVR that will power 1 HD & 1 SD TV.

Many people on this list (including myself) believe you will get a better installation if you go with a local retailer rather than contacting Dish directly (same goes for DirecTV).

Dish & Direct will try to get you into a contract any way they can, but I believe you can cancel within a short period of time without any penalty. You might have to ask about their cancellation policies and get it in writing.

19. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011

20. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    The OP mentioned that he would like to pay for the installation and avoid any term commitment. He can do so and still get all of the new customer goodies by paying a $99 installation fee. Not a horrible option If he feels strongly about avoiding the 24 mo. contract. He would also have to pay for HD or meet 1 of the requirements of the HD Free for Life promo.