New Update 0x489 can't get past 96% complete

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by endeavor, May 20, 2011.

1. endeavor

endeavor Cool Member

Jan 27, 2010
    A few nights ago (3 am) the new 0x489 update arrived, when I turned the tv on in the morning though it was stuck at 96% . . . during the next two days I've prolly reset the unit 25 times to try and fix it but the same things happened. Also another 25 times I tried unplugging the unit for an hour (even overnight) to reset it that way, but the same thing happens.

I can never get past those downloading software blue screens - the only thing it will do is try and download the software update but fail.

This unit has been fine since 2006 through all the updates, but this last update never took - what do I do? I have too many recordings I do not want to lose!

I have two HR20-700's, and the one in the living room took the update fine, the one upstairs did not. I swapped the locations back and forth but of course that didn't solve anything.

How can I get it out of this downloading software screen. I don't mind getting a new unit if needed - the problem again is I have too many recordings I do not want to lose!

...and so - is there a procedure, anywhere, anything! (I'm a pretty handy tech) I can do with this unit to get it past the software update screen so I can have access to my recordings? I've tried the scandisk function (record + down arrow) also the diagnostic (right arrow + active) neither will respond to that, but no matter what I do it insists on always starting up with the software download blue screens, and it goes though the motions to download... 5% ....all the way to 96% ...and that's it.

I also tried attaching my spare eSata drive to the unit... (previously I use to use this eSata with it and it always worked fine) ..I just tried attaching it again to see if I could get it past these software update screens, but it does the very same thing with it - and so I don't think it's even HD related.

I don't think it's a bad hard drive - Perhaps I can swap the HD's from one unit to the other to have access to what's on that one (I bought my units outright from DTV in 2006) and so I have no lease fee's

Any tech with more ideas to get it going before I try swapping internal HD's?

Thank You

Edit:
    ps,
    I wanted to also mention I've noticed sometimes when it gets to 96% and hangs there for 5 minutes, then it goes to a screen that say something like...

"Your receiver is unable to complete the startup process do to a hardware error, please call customer service, etc, etc.... message 799"

2. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Well, I guess its time to call DTV and get the unit replaced.

3. onthecake

onthecake AllStar

Dec 11, 2006
    I dont know how related my issue is to yours but I have a HR20-700 that will not take the new update at all. It's stuck at 0% and will not move passed it.

I have rebooted it 6+ times, unplugged it for 30 mins and nothing works.

When I called DTV this morning about it they mentioned that some HR20's were having issues with the update but I dont know how reliable that is.

Even though I told her that the unit was working fine the night before and nothing had changed since then she dispatched a tech out.

Since both of my other HDDVR's got the update fine I highly doubt its a signal issue as she claims. I am going to swap it out with an HR22 that got the update. If that fails also I guess I will wait for the service call and perhaps a new box if that fails.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    In both your cases, I suspect a hardware problem. When an update takes place, certain checks are performed to make sure the system is capable of accepting the update. It seems very likely that in both cases, these checks are failing, although at different points.

5. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    You've got your answer right there. Your hardware is shot, your recordings are toast. Sorry.

6. endeavor

endeavor Cool Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Which hardware? Do you mean the HardDrive?
    It was working for 6 years right up until the moment it did this last update!

Or is it another hardware item?

If it's the HD can I swap the HD from one unit to the other so I can finish watching the dozens of shows I haven't finished yet - or do they have the HD recording tied (encrypted) to the Receiver so that it can only play on the setup it was recorded on?

There has to be a few tricks in the book that a DTV bench repair technician knows what to do in order to let this Software Install Process finish so that it will release my unit; I know there is!

What's is that procedure though is the $1000 question?

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, the HD. When HD's are about to go, a software update will often "push them over the edge". If you hadn't have received an update, it would have failed in a few weeks anyway.

It's tied to the receiver, although their has been reports of success in changing them if you know what you're doing. See HERE

8. endeavor

endeavor Cool Member

Jan 27, 2010
    If it's just bad or too many reloacated sectors on the original DTV drive, I could remove the drive and run SpinRite on it to put correct it. I've used SpinRite on many a computer HD that had failed and wouldn't boot because of sector problems, and brought it back to life using SpinRite on it and they worked fine. I wonder if anyone ever used SpinRite on their DTV HD and fixed it? I will have to use the search function here and check it out?

So many questions about this DTV drive though.
    Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I wish there was a trick to get it going as is without taking it a part yet, but I will if I have to.

That is really an interesting thread, I will read it over more.

9. gomezma1

gomezma1 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    My R22-100 was on Tuesday morning. It came on by itself. I turned the TV and there was a message that receiver needed to download. I pressed ok thinking it would turn itself off but didn't. Nothing new downloaded. Wednesday, it insatlled new upgrade. I can tell when it has done something because I completely dim the center light on the receiver and when I turn it on, it is on again. That is how I can tell. The info bar now has selections from the new upgrade.

10. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Your error has nothing to do with the hard drive. In your case, the new firmware is failing it's error check and/or failing to be written to the eprom. Most likely its failing to be written to the eprom.

Your unit is dead as are all your recordings. As the recordings on it are tied to the receiver ID, they would not be viewable if you moved the drive to another unit.

Your only options are to let it continue and hope by some freak chance it takes or get it replaced.

I'd get it replaced.

11. endeavor

endeavor Cool Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Previously I have used a FAP on the unit but unplugged it months ago and it was sitting there next to the unit, so I thought to try it again and so plugged it back in, but the receiver won't pick it up now because on every power up or reset it just keeps going back to the blue screen of downloading the new software starting at 0%, and almost finishes but stops at 96% for a bit, retires a few times, and then on to that hardware failure screen 799

Anyway, I agree with you RobertE I don't think it's the internal HD either.
    And so in that case even if I cloned the HD (as per that great article here) I still couldn't get the unit going.... is my guess?
    I was ready to even to run my copy of SpinRite on it, but if it's not the HD then it wont matter anyway.

~Can I change (even solder in) a new eprom?
    ~How about using component cooler on the eprom, possibly that could let it finish? I just need to get it out of that downloading software function route, and back to the way it was.
    ~There's gotta be something I can do - a tech on the bench would do something to get it back - what is it they would do though?

You know I've seen a HR20 do that once before, where it would fail the software update and show that Hardware Failure screen 799, but being persistent and after about 15 resets - it went through... ...and so when you say 'freak chance' you must know it can (although not very often) happen. That's also why I asked about the component cooler, because in the shop I've seen many a semiconductor device start working if it was not, or stop working if it was intermittent. I'll try anything and nothing is beyond me electronically; I'd do it just for the fun of it and nothing to lose, but also of course so I can finish the shows I haven't watched!!! darn it.

In the meantime I'm going to Amazon and click a pair of DIRECTV PlusĀ® HR24 into my cart . I guess that's the best one to get right? I see they have them for $174

12. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Understand before you do that, these are leased units and it will reset a 2 year commitment. If you don't want that, call Directv and have it replaced by them.

If you need OTA be sure to tell them so you can get another HR20.

13. endeavor

endeavor Cool Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Yes I knew about the 2 year commitment, I'm not going anywhere anyway. And in my DTV cart they show it for $199 and don't gurantee what you will get right.
    I don't want DTV to replace it because of the stories we hear, so I don't want to gamble on getting a 'refurbished' older model. I want the latest model and certainly want it brand new! I never have used OTA since I'm out of range to far (but Yes it was nice to have it there anyway just in case.)

14. endeavor

endeavor Cool Member

Jan 27, 2010
    recapping, this is just a fwiw is all, nothing new here, but just wanted to detail it.

It seeks a new software download each and every time I red button reboot, or unplug & plug. Each time it restarts says it's searching for new software 04A9. The top left of the screen at this point numbers start counting 4/2/30 in increments for a few minutes and then it prompts it found new software and that number stops at 4/33/20 ...the middle screen now says it found new software 0458.

Then the bottom graph starts a black bar at 0% then to a light blue bar ... 5% ...10 % all the way up to 95%, then 96% is where it stops, I see on the top left of the screen the numbers changed and now say 1/1/70/02/55 (ending alternates from .../55 to .../F5) as a new darker blue graph bar starts overtop of the first light blue one, it advances a few inches but then stops and tries again - after doing this for maybe 3 to 4 minutes it then prompts something like... Your receiver is unable to complete the startup process do to a hardware error, please call customer service, etc, etc.... message 799

It won't shut off, and no matter which way I reset it I can't get it out of wanting to do the the software update loop.

15. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Do you have another DVR or receiver that you can move to the location where the one device is failing? you know, just to verify that you are getting a solid signal from the satellite.

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    It's dead Jim...

You can get DirecTV to replace it at no cost if you have the protection plan, or only $20 shipping if you don't, but then you get what you get. If you for sure want an HR24 get one from an online retailer. Then contact DirecTV and MAYBE they can work out a deal for you. If not just return the defective one as defective and tell them you already got a replacement.

Another option, which is somewhat of a long shot, is if you call them about what your DVR is doing they may want to send a Tech. At that point he MAY have an HR24 on his truck and can swap it out for you when he realizes your current unit is dead.

17. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Oh, never mind .. Yeah, hardware error. You need to get it replaced. If you have an external SATA drive to plug into the eSATA port, you could try that if you're not looking for a new box, but really, calling DIRECTV is your best bet on this one.

18. onthecake

onthecake AllStar

Dec 11, 2006
    The DTV tech just left my house.

He ended up replacing my HR20 with an HR22.

I tried to get an HR24 but he said he didn't have any :(

The DECA adapter was also replaced as it looked like it was malfunctioning. The new receiver is taking the latest release as I speak.

19. endeavor

endeavor Cool Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Yes as mentioned I have a FAP eSATA I used to use on it, and yes I even plugged that back in to try that, but still it always goes to that software download screen.

For the heck of it to try, I just completely unplugged the internal HD, no external one connected either, and then plugged the HR20 in, and wouldn't you know it with no HD connected at all it still goes right to that blue software downloading screen, all the way to 96%.... And so it seems once the receiver is instructed to download software, it stays in that loop until it succeeds I guess.
    I wonder if there is a way to force it out of the software download mode?

For the heck of it I just put the HR20 in the refrigerator, I'll leave it there for an hour and then try it. It's an old repairman trick to get some temp sensitive component to fail, or work. We'll see... like I said, nothing to lose

20. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I suppose it is too late now. However if I owned it I would pop the hood and take a look for failed capacitors. http://www.badcaps.net/ has images and tutorials on how to detect and how to change and so on.