New versions are MUCH better!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HMC PC Playback Discussion (private)' started by PoitNarf, Mar 28, 2008.

1. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I haven't had as much free time to play around with the new versions, but so far tonight the playback has been much improved! I just went through an entire episode of South Park and the playback was nearly flawless. I even used some moderate trickplay and it still played fine. A lot of the issues I saw with the previous version seem to have been resolved from what I've noticed so far. How is it running for the rest of you?

2. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    It's been hit or miss for me. Of the shows I have watched, I've experienced a lockup of one form or another (and posted). This week has been a little rough though because I had surgery on my foot Wednesday and I've been a little out of it at times since then.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I agree with the "much better" comment but I am beginning to feel that my systems aren't up to the task. That will change very soon though.

4. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Same here. I documented the problems I had Monday night when I did a lot of testing. But, the SD programs usually do good with either wired or wireless.

Tony, hope you are on some good drugs to make you feel better! If not, I might be able to send some down your way. :D Get well!

5. kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    Don't worry. He's use to pain. He's a Michigan fan! !rolling

Pay backs Tfed. :p

Any ways. I'm getting mixed results. My HD programs do fairly well until I hit trick play then I've been blown out of them or my whole PC. But my SD programs have played very well.

Now I've upgraded my video card to specs, but will probably not upgrade my processor as going from 3.0 GHZ to 3.2 Ghz is not worth the $150+ dollars to me.

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I have to agree that the playback is much better. I have been tied up with a number of things this week due to Spring Break and and increasing workload at work (which is welcomed, BTW). I do have some time this weekend to beat it into submission, though.

I've had a couple of HR20 hangups that I'm almost certain are due to something between the PC app and the HR20. I have not diligently reported because I simply haven't had the opportunity to get all of the information correct, however, I'm sure the reboot notice was sent to DIRECTV via the network. I'm somewhat suspecting the Linksys switch I'm using which is a rather old 100 MB/s switch.

7. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    I actually had very good results with the last version. This version has been having the same good playback, but trickplay is causing me a lot of difficulty. If I just start the program and let it play its been almost perfect every time though.

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I watched a bit of TV yesterday via the PC playback interface and short of having trouble with switching between the servers, I was much happier with both the audio and video processing. There were times where it was it seemed like there were some bit rate issues, but I'm willing to attribute that to my network .. It was certainly watchable and much better than SD but it did have a hint of the VCD effect.

I will say that it's getting much closer and that I'm getting stoked. I fully expect things to continue improvement.