New VS old customer and accounts.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by imjustdave, Dec 29, 2011.

1. imjustdave

imjustdave Cool Member

Dec 28, 2011
    So whats the deal with bending over exesting customers?

My soon to be ex is leaving and I need a new service in my name what issues will I run into if I try to become a new customer?

She has been a member for at least 10+ years and ownes the equipment "old Ultimate TV stuff" SD not HD equipment. When she moves and or cancells service how can that affect me? I will be staying at the house but the equipment is in her name.

Thanks

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    If she cancels you'll no longer have service at that address. Once she leaves you can call and setup your own account as a new customer.

3. imjustdave

imjustdave Cool Member

Dec 28, 2011
    I guess my Q is...

Will I have an issue ordering service again seeing as we have the same last name?

Would it be an issue to order it and then cancel the old service a few days latter... AKA I really dont want to not have TV for a few days + I need a new dish anyways so installer takes the old one down and she can take it on her marry way.

4. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    Before she leaves, if service is going to be terminated, make sure that the D* account at your address is cleared.

We had a poster not too long ago where the D* account was in her name. She left and the account was not cleared and boxes were not returned, so when he tried to set up a new account, the address was flagged with a $1,100 dollar balance due to equipment not being returned. If he wanted service, he had to pay off the balance owed. D* didn't care what the divorce decree said as they were not a party to the action.

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    You'll probably have to have her cancel her account first. I don't believe they'll allow 2 accounts at the same address.

The best thing you can do is call them and ask how you should handle it.

6. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Make sure she cancels, returns the boxes and pays any penalties.

Then call them, tell em you want service, and when they note the old account, tell them you were divorced, the account was cancelled by her and the boxes returned. You want a new account in your name, and you will be treated well with rebates and a fresh install.

7. Sarcasto

Sarcasto New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Port...
    Be sure to use her account# as a refer a friend...ex? to get your $100 off before she cancels it altogether.

8. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Yes they do. When we lived with my wife's parents for a few months we both had separate D* service at the same address. In fact, it was a call to Directv that told me we could do that.