1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Whole Home DVR Install Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by heard006, Feb 14, 2011.

1. heard006

heard006 New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I searched the threads and couldn't easily find my question answered so here they go:

I am switching from Comcast to Directv on Wednesday and ordered the Whole Home DVR package (1 HD DVR + 1 HD Receiver). The rep said that I do not need anything else to make this work including ordering on-demand. My questions are:

1) Can the DVR & HD receivers communicate over the coax or do they need to be hooked into my home network via Cat 5?

2) Should I be requesting a certain DVR model (HR 24)?

3) Does anyone know if they will install the satellite dish on the fascia or eaves (vs. on the roof)? I am really worried about roof leaking which happened in a previous house.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    1. Everything (almost) connects over the Coax. Except for the optional interface to your router. This is the Internet Connection Kit aka Cinema Kit.
    -If you want On Demand or want to use TV Apps you must be sure you get this kit. Be sure its on your order.

2. HR24 and H24's are most desirable. No way to guarantee over the phone with Directv you will get them. What most folks do is when the installer calls that they are on the way, ask them if they have them on the truck. If not, politely ask to reschedule the install until they do.

3. They should install it on the side of your house. Right on the roof isn't recommended but local installers have their own way. You can request a pole mounted install on the ground but that usually costs extra.

3. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    they probably won't install on side of house and will use roof as policy restricts them from attaching to vinyl/aluminum siding and a kaku dish can't be fascia mounted.
    it will be roof most likely.

4. heard006

heard006 New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Is there any way that I can ensure they properly seal the mountings if it goes on the roof? I suppose I could have it installed over the eaves so that if it does leak, it is not going into the attic...?

Thanks for everyone's replies!

5. cawgijoe

cawgijoe Legend

Dec 22, 2005
    They will place a black seal "pad" underneath the mount where the screws go into the roof. This works. I have not heard of anyone have a problem with leakage.

If you are still leary and can get to it, you can always go up with a tube of silicone seal and place extra sealant around the base of the mount and screws.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The black "pad" is called "Bishop's Tape" or, generically, asphault-based mastec sealant. It is exactly the right product for the job, and is probably already used on most asphault shingle roofs to seal other items.

NOTE: Silicone does NOT adhere to asphault-based products like roofing shingles. If you're going to apply something in addition to the Bishop's tape (which should be unnecessary), you'd want to choose a product like Henry's roof tar, or something similiar that is asphault-based.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Although, can't you use the silicone on the inside of the attic where the holes were drilled?

- Merg

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I would tend to use it on the topside around the holes/bolts before installing, than afterwords hoping to stop the water as it comes in.

9. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    not as effective and can (rare cases) be worse, moisture could get into the hole and get blocked by silicone and trapped.

10. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    You could but I would think that by the time water gets through the roof and into the sheathing the damage is already done. The water will wick through the wood eventually rotting it and cause the silicone/wood bond to fail.

Preventing water intrusion in the 1st place is the best bet.

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I should have clarified... This would be in addition to any preventive measures taken on the outside...

- Merg

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Wouldn't you actually want any water that has gotten this far, to drain away?

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Would the signal pass through a thin plastic sheet? I.E. could one construct a plastic tent around the entire dish? [I'm not suggesting that as any sort of solution here!] Just curious about what the signal can pass through and can't.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The LNBs have a plastic cover, so it should work, though I'm not sure about black plastic, as it may have carbon.

15. heard006

heard006 New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    So, since I can't get up on my roof to see what he does do I need to lose sleep at night over this? Sounds like the standard install protects me. But I do live in Seattle--maybe i will try to have him install it over the eaves so if it leaks it doesnt make it down to the drywall.

Thanks for everyone's posts---I appreciate it!!