New 'X-Files' Wows at World Premiere

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Oct 6, 2015 #1 of 24
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I think I'm eagerly awaiting this show and this article has increased my positive anticipation:

[​IMG]

I think they look somewhat older even in the haze of the explosion than they did previously:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Oct 6, 2015 #2 of 24
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Can't wait!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. Oct 6, 2015 #3 of 24
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Same here. Looking forward to it's return.

4. Oct 6, 2015 #4 of 24
    Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Viewing the trailer gave me chills and (a renewed) hope that the truth will finally be found.

5. Oct 6, 2015 #5 of 24
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yep, but at the same time because of all the cast that are back acting like they did before it felt somehow a little "campy" or at least "tongue-in-cheek." As I said in the first post "I think I'm eagerly awaiting this show...."

6. Oct 7, 2015 #6 of 24
    oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Super excited for it's premiere in 2016

7. Oct 7, 2015 #7 of 24
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I think that's the way it normally works. Most of us look somewhat older than we did previously.

But she is still smmmmmmmmmmmokin'!

The first few eps were kind of weak in season one, other than "Squeeze", yet still way, way far and above any of the pilots from 2015, or other recent years. And it got a lot better. This was in my top 5 all-time shows, and on top of that there were half a dozen eps in the heyday that transcended everything, and were probably the most entertaining TV I have ever seen. "Pusher" (I still can't hear the phrase "cerulean blue" without thinking of it) proved that Scully was smart enough to know exactly when to pull the fire alarm (also, no one ever opened a bottle of wine any sexier, unintendedly, than she did). And Emmy-winning "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" comes to mind; "Sorry, Mulder, but autoerotic asphyxiation is not an elegant way to die". Gimme a minute and I'll give you 5 more.

OK, "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'".

8. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    OK. Now we know.

Sorry some critics felt they had to whine about it. I thought it was pretty good. Looking forward to ep 2 (and 3-6). Of course, technically, we are in the 200's.

I thought it was pretty compelling. Chris Carter, who essentially left the biz (he had a couple of weak attempts that went nowhere, I guess) might be a little rusty. But I gave it a solid B+, and I grade on a curve; I'm comparing it to other X eps.

I thought the conspiracy angle was pretty strong, updated with the expected Edward Snowden/NSA phone tapping milieu of recent days. To be expected, I guess. But still solidly executed. It wasn't "Paper Hearts", or "Bad Blood", but we are getting eps 2-5 from their best writers, so maybe we will have another "Small Potatoes" or another Eddie Van Blundht to enshrine on the wall when all is said and done.

I guess what stuck out for me were two things. First, it is hard to beat the two principal actors. They are probably the two most charismatic folks working. And at 47 and 56 they are both looking better than ever. It was really fun to see them work their magic, just like they had never left.

I think it was Gillian Anderson who said something on the order of "no, it's not like riding a bicycle, it's like riding a unicycle", meaning it was not effortless for her to find Dana Scully again. Sure seemed effortless to me. Maybe it was someone else that said that. But I think their experience on that show as well as after that show has really made them both formidable seasoned pros. Duchovny shines on Aquarius, even if the show is otherwise unwatchable. And if you like Anderson, Hannibal. Stream that. Or any of her other four shows.

The other thing was the direction/production. With these pros, you got a lot of unspoken stuff that really let you see inside the characters. And they are both so good, that all it takes is a little look, a little pause, a little gesture, for them to speak volumes without saying a word. If you have known these characters for 20 years, that along with their skillset makes it like you can read their minds. Just watch them in the limo ride in Act I. There are a lot of layers working there. And that makes for pretty compelling television. I'm ready for another hundred eps.

My only complaint; Mark Snow. The music sounds phoned-in, like he composed it while he was double-parked. It seemed tacked on, also. There was stuff bubbling under the surface that did not support the drama or the action. Clumsy and juvenile bush-league music, not organic to the story they were telling. This is not The Closer, after all, this is The X-Files, the most iconic program ever. He's better than that. Disappointing. Maybe they dragged him out of retirement and he really didn't want to be there. If so, get somebody else for the next six. Master of suspense and eerie atmospherics Sean Callery would be perfect.

9. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I was hoping for more.
    Maybe it is not fair, but it seemed way too much at once.

10. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    I think hoping is a mistake. A trap. Go in with no expectations. Easier said than done.

I also think that the bulk of disappointment will be due to the high bar already set, assuming there is more disappointment other than what we have seen.

I tried to ignore the high bar for True Detective that season one set, and I was mostly able to do that, which probably contributed to me enjoying season two more than most folks did who were keyed into the Yellow King, and time being a flat circle. It did not begin to reach the bar from season one, but it was still very good. A high bar. Fargo? Maybe not so much. I am still having problems getting through that one.

Hold on to your wigs and keys for when they stream Star Trek next year. The whining will be deafening, regardless of how good it is.

And, way too much what?

11. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Too much story line rewrite and plot re imagined all at once.
    Too much too swallow.

I will see if I can adapt. But it is not taking hold yet.

12. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Well, when I say no expectations I don't mean not to expect that Chris Carter won't try to wrap up 23 years of the rich mythology in the two new episodes he wrote as well as update it to present day. I think we have to expect that.

I might have been a little hard on Carter. He's The Sheriff. He has the hardest job. He owns the franchise and is responsible for the writing that does all of that heavy lifting. And in the last ep he has to extend the mythology and tease us for the next six. That's difficult business.

The other guys are just hired guns. They get to write the fun episodic stuff and ignore the mythology. Except that they are possibly the fastest guns in the west; it is hard to find better writers than the Wongs or those other guys who wrote the best eps in the 90's. With luck, we will get even more eps and Vince Gilligan will get his turn.

The episodic stuff was always a lot better than the mythology eps anyway. The perfect ep recipe is a mostly episodic story with just a hint of the conspiracy arc. Hard to do in a 6-ep reboot for an iconic show from 14 years ago.

13. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I had no expectations and loved it. I particularly like how they updated us with every conspiracy controversy that's made the news since the 2002 season. It was just the right tone to reset a short season story arc. As I stated about the preview, it was a bit "campy" and "tongue-in-cheek" which reflects what Carter did in occasional episodes in most seasons. My guess is it will get down to the "serious" investigative process tonight.

14. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    I too loved it. In particular, I thought the look of the leads fit the story-line nicely -- Gillian Anderson thin and angular, like she'd lost weight due to depression. David Duchovny haggard and jowly, like he spent decades in disillusionment. Mitch Pilleggi looked great, like no time had gone by at all.

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    And you have to love the cigarette smoking man.

16. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    No you don't. To me he represents the conspiracy mythology, which was always the weakest part of the show. Also, probably the weakest actor in Vancouver.

Ep 2 was classic James Wong X-Files. There are eps that this guy and the Morgans wrote that I consider the best episodes of any program ever on television. Ep 2 was not quite in that class; there are a dozen old eps from those guys that were better. But this one still gets an A, among X eps, IMHO. Knocked it clean out of the park.

And he also got the recipe just right. A classic episodic stand-alone story, yet still dovetailed into the arc. And it really felt like the eps he wrote in the 90's. The dramatic hook to what drove Mulder in the 90's was his sister, and without giving anything away, they just really upped the ante on both characters' motivation, making even the conspiracy mythology compelling. This is exactly what I think X-Philes have been wishing for, hoping that the reboot would bring us. And once again, the production was topnotch.

Not only is this still in my top 5 shows ever, maybe at or near the top, but Mulder and Scully were without a doubt the two coolest people on television in the years they were on this show, and now they hold that title again. I did not say coolest characters, because both the characters as well as the actors are the coolest. And that is an impressive feat, and anyone else is a distant second.

Better work in ep 2 from Mark Snow. There was still unnecessary track in the background during exposition, but his stuff really shined in the action scenes.

17. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    And Ep 3 was classic Darin Morgan. Almost. I was hoping more for a "Jose Chung's..." or a "Bad Blood", but that's probably hoping for too much. As strong a writer as emmy-winner Morgan is, his weaknesses were on display here. Maybe my expectations were too high. It is probably not possible to reach those heights when you are cut loose on your own for 14 years instead of collaborating in a writers' room with the likes of Vince Gilligan and Howard Gordon 5 days a week. His chops might be rusty.

But I hope he is busy creating more gold for Ep 7 or Ep 10, because he is still great and this ep was also pretty great, in spite of feeling a bit like Old-Timer's day at the ballpark. One of DM's calling cards is whimsy. But whimsy is sort of weak if you do not have enough to back it up. While this was comedic, and bittersweet in the character's role reversal, caring for each other, and Mulder's mood swings (all of which greatly helped enrich the bond there, and to the audience), I thought it too whimsy and fantasy heavy.

The tired idea of a man turning into a monster (hence the title reference 'were-monster') was cleverly turned on its head in another role reversal. And there was a lot of great sarcastic social commentary, and humor at Mulder's inability to cope with change and technology. There were a lot of classic reaction takes from Scully, and at one point during an autopsy, the viewer is firmly convinced that regardless of whatever drove these two apart, they still both love each other madly. It goes unsaid, but we know. We know.

But even as great as this ep was, and reviews are glowing, I was disappointed. I never expected another "Clyde Bruckman's...", but I wanted it to be a little better. Expecting an A+, I give it a solid B.

I also shudder to think how more substandard this ep would have been without the brilliance of Rhys Darby. Imagine another actor trying to fill that character's deep shoes, and the story would suffer even more.

One reference I missed at first was Guy Mann's wardrobe choice. I thought it was great and clever and suited him, but then I realized the brilliant callback, which was it was the exact clothes that Darren McGavin as the iconic Kolchak;The Night Stalker wore.

But DM delivered in the end, and gave Mulder a reason to want to believe again.

18. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I don't know what kind of grade I'd give the episode, but we chortled all the way through it. The fun with this mini-series is experiencing all the old feelings which were spread out over a number of seasons.

19. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    As I was watching this one... I found myself really hoping the reveal would be turning the traditional were-story on its head... and they actually did it! Plus it was really funny.

20. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...