1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New York City to become the 51st State?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by raj2001, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 7, 2003 #1 of 27
    raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    I heard this being discussed on WCBS Radio 880 this morning, for New York City to become a separate state. (I thought they were going to make it part of New jersey).

I know it may never fly, but... What if it did? Then Bloomberg could bring back the commuter tax (which I fully support) and ensure that we don't get ripped off by Albany.

I think Vallone and some others are proposing this.

2. Feb 7, 2003 #2 of 27
    RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    We here in the Pacific Northwest still want to form the new country of "Cascadia" - made up of Washington, Oregon, Nothern California, and British Columbia.

3. Feb 7, 2003 #3 of 27
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Some here in the south want to form a separate confederation. Oops, already tried that - didn't work. ;)

4. Feb 7, 2003 #4 of 27
    firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    RichW,
    Your use of "we" is a little too broad. I would guess that there are some that want that but "we" can't be due to the fact it would include me. ;)

I would like this state (Washington) split down the Cascade crest to create a new state. Maybe it would be the 52nd state if NYC gets 51. NE Oregon and the Idaho Panhandle would be welcome to be part also. Columbia for a state name would be good too for the fact that the Columbia River runs through the region providing power, irrigation, and recreation.

Hmmm....... I wonder if this can be put on a ballot?

:)

5. Feb 7, 2003 #5 of 27
    James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Don't forget Californnia wants to split into 3 seperate states... :bang

6. Feb 7, 2003 #6 of 27
    razorbackfan

razorbackfan Godfather

Aug 17, 2002
    Ridgway,...
    I've heard about California wanting to be 2 seperate states since the 50's. But 3? Northern California, Southern California and The Great State of Fresno!

7. Feb 7, 2003 #7 of 27
    James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Remember real nocals, those above SFO don't want sacramento to tell them they can't log the forrests. Those in SFO don't want LA to tell them what to do either. So you have Northern California (above Sonoma Country), Central California (Between Sonoma and Morro Bay) and Southern California (Below Morro Bay).

8. Feb 7, 2003 #8 of 27
    toomuchtv

toomuchtv Godfather

May 17, 2002
    I hope we never add any more states because of the fight that would result from trying to come up w/ a new flag design. Can you just imagine what a nightmare that would be!!!!

9. Feb 7, 2003 #9 of 27
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Isn't like 98% of the population of the state of New York located in New York City anyways?

10. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I love the joke about how Alaska threatens to split in two just so that it would result in making Texas the THIRD largest state :)

11. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    i would like to remind the board that the great state of texas WAS once an independant nation and has it in it's state constitution that should we vote to do so, we can become one again!!!!

12. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    But that constitution would not exist anymore once it became a state under the new constitution would it?

13. jeffwtux

jeffwtux Icon

Apr 27, 2002
    Why is Virginia called the "The Commonwealth of Virginia"? Is it's constitution or government different from every other state. I know GOPer joke about Massachesetts as being the "Peoples Republic of Mass" but that's just a joke. Isn't Virginia really "The Commonwealth of Virginia"? Does it have anything to do with the British Empire? Could they be reclaimed by England?

14. jeffwtux

jeffwtux Icon

Apr 27, 2002
    I wonder if in Michigan's constitution there's any sort of allegiance to Quebec or France, especially for Detroit.

15. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    And 98% of the population of New Jersey works in New York, too :lol:

16. Jasonbp

Jasonbp Godfather

Jun 17, 2002
    Don't know. Maybe....

Hear about Michigan wanting to split into two states? Something about Michigan and New Michigan.

17. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    So was California... Ask Geronimo about independant nations...

18. Brett

Brett Legend

Jan 14, 2003
    Thats what New Yorkers think. New Jersey is a diverse state, not just a suburb, or sides of the N.J. Turnpike in Linden and Elizabeth. Many media groups pretend to treat NJ as a city or suburb of NY. NJ has several cities - Newark, Trenton, Edison, etc. and people work within NJ. Yes we do get our influences from cities out of state and there are commuters to NY or Philly by the south. Pro NJ stations like NJ 101.5 and NJN, both which Trenton based, offered "NJ" news but of little relevance to most of us. People in Northern NJ dont care about Ben Franklin Bridge backups, by the shore they are not interested in NJ turnpike backups at exit 7, and Southern NJ people dont give a dime whats going on up north.

19. jeffwtux

jeffwtux Icon

Apr 27, 2002
    thatguy16: what part?
    The UP? There wouldn't be enough population for to qualify? BTW: in the presidential conventions, do the delegates from Virginia announce themselves as being from "The Commonwealth of Virginia"?

20. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    A couple states are know as "Commonwealths", Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Kentucky. In the truest sense, the only Commonwealths in the U.S. are Puerto Rico and the Northern Marianas. American Samoa, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands are called possessions. Commonwealths have their own constitutions and greater autonomy than possessions, and Guam is currently in the process of moving from the status of unincorporated territory to commonwealth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.