1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie coming over from Comcast

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jacksg35c, Apr 5, 2009.

1. jacksg35c

jacksg35c Cool Member

Feb 20, 2003
    I will have Direct Tv installed in 2 weeks. I will have 2 hd dvr's and one non-hd box in my garage. What should I look for in the install? How does DOD or VOD work? Does it require additional hardware? What is best hd-dvr out now? I will not have any control probably but it would be nice to get latest dvr. I am getting QWEST package (dsl phone direct tv) on one bill. Any advice to avoid having the installer come out 2 times to correct any problems would be appreciated. I need to have the dish hidden as best they can due to ccr's in homeowner's association. Thanks Jack in Albuquerque

2. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    DOD requires a network connection, and being as many homes are not hardwired for ethernet you may be forced to get into wireless. While not the best choice: it does work. Yes, you will need equipment for this as its not provided by DirecTV. A quick search at www.directv.com using "internet connection kits" will provide the answers you are looking for.

As far as installers go: searching the forums here will get you more than enough information to make sure your install goes well.

"Hiding" your dish due to CCR's could be your biggest challenge.

3. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    Well you're right about not having control over which HDDVR you get but it most likely will be HR-22 or higher depending on the HSP stock. As far as avoiding the installer revisit is to have the installer show you the signal strengths of all the sats needed for your location. Sat 101 should easily be in the 90's for most and the HD sats 99 and 103 should be in the mid 80's which is about as good as those get. That is the easiest way to verify a good install but you should look at the actual install of the dish and make sure that it is very secure as the current HD dish has a high wind load. A solid install and great signal strengths should provide years of trouble free service as I have had.:) The DOD works by connecting your HDDVR to the internet. It uses the connection to download the requested movie or show. Depending on the speed of your internet will decide how fast you can start watching the show or movie. It shows you how much has been downloaded and has a color indicator that will show you how its is progressing. Other than that not much else. Look around here or post your questions and I am sure it will be answered! Enjoy your DirecTV!

4. hummer1823

hummer1823 Mentor

Apr 6, 2009
    I just wanted to say i am right there with you. I came over from Comcast to Dtv. I have had the service for a little over a week. I really enjoy it, the pc of HD and SD channels are better than i expected. At the time i only had locals in HD with Comcast, and Dtv pc is great.

Installation went really well, having a background in installations helped. (former installer of wifi) I was able to tell them how and what i wanted.

But to answer some of you questions... like the others said when the installer is checking sat. signal strength make sure you are there and verify it with them. Make sure that the coax is neat and properly secure, also i dont like it when coax or data cables run parallel next to electric lines. (this is just me)

Hope my little knowledge helps. :rolleyes:

Anywho, i think you will be happy.

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
  6. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    An HOA cannot preclude you from installing a satellite dish on your property (exclusive use by you). Do a search on OTARD and it will enlighten you greatly. If the land is exclusively yours, and you need to put your dish somewhere to get line-of-sight, then the HOA is pretty much powerless to stop you.

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yes...this is correct.

We have a strict HOA here, and all they can do is rubber stamp the installer's plans.

8. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    To add, the FCC and federal law prohibits HOA's from stopping you... here's the text of their ruling in 1997...

http://www.ccfj.net/FCClaw.htm

It's different in a condo association, since they own the common areas (walls, grounds, etc.) and they can restrict what gets put on their property.

Our HOA tried to stop me from putting up both my dish and my external antenna, and when I brought the law to the attention of their attorney with a simple e-mail, they realized that there was nothing that they could do.