1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ubrddenny, Apr 7, 2013.

1. ubrddenny

ubrddenny New Member

Apr 7, 2013
    I am helping a friend that has an old Direct TV antenna and receiver (the DL 11 if I am not mistaken). They recently bought a used HR-24 500 receiver and it will not work with the antenna they currently have installed. What antenna do they need to pruchase and install to make the HR-24 receiver work? I appreciate any assistance.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  3. ubrddenny

ubrddenny New Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Thank you, yes it was verified and previously owned. I appreciate your time in responding. Will I need anything to purchase any additional equipment in addition to the Slimline antenna?

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If not upgrading to a SWM system, 2 b band converters. If you did use a SWM LNB, the D11 wouldn't work if that wasn't replaced by the hr24.

Also to be clear, the slimline dish and the LNB needs replaced, you can't take the LNB off the current dish. You also may need mounting hardware, slimline needs more support I believe. The one I linked to has the LNB, and I believe one mounting option.

5. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    I have a slimline 5 (upgraded a couple years ago) which has the base mount (went in the same place as the round dish it replaced) AND two stabilizer arms that the DTV installer said "must" be used because the dish is larger and needed to be braced for wind gusts

If you do a self install, do be aware that you need to aim the dish in TWO directions... the angle and compass degree of the dish to point in the right direction AND the dish needs to be tilted so all 3 signals are received