Newbie Hr21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by indiana324, May 14, 2008.

1. indiana324

indiana324 Cool Member

May 14, 2008
    Hey People,

Newbie here and wondering what are the best changes i can make to the hr21...ive found 30 skip and im gonna try media option...i have it on my network and on demand working..what else is worth doing to it??

Thanks for your advice!!

Mike

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Welcome to DBSTalk

If you want to change your sort by for your "My Playlist" and want it to stay the same way every time you go to it you need to use a hidden menu to activate it.

Do a keyword search for "IAMANEDGECUTTER"-->continue-->all-->when it finds nothing press and hold the menu and info button together on the front of the unit for 2 seconds and let go. A hidden menu will pop up and you can turn sort by on. Then go to your "My Playlist" and press the yellow button and go to the sort by option. When you change it that time it will remember your selection and stay that way.

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

Sounds like you've made a great start. You could also consider purchasing the add on OTA tuner (AM21) for $50 if you would like to integrate your local OTA channels into your HR21.

4. indiana324

indiana324 Cool Member

May 14, 2008
    i already get my over the air channels on direct tv..is that what you meant??

5. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    The AM21 actually hooks up to an outside antenna and provides ATSC reception and access from the HR21 guide menu. Not everyone gets ALL local channels in HD due to some of the legal reasons and holding out.

I have two in my area that I have to use OTA to get high def on.

6. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    If you need more than 50 hours HD recording space, you can add an eSata (not USB) external hard drive to replace the 320gb internal drive. Popular disk sizes are 750gb and 1tb. Just search this forum for eSata for more detailed info.

:)

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If you haven't had a chance, check out our Information Resources subforum. It's inside the DIRECTV General Discussion forum. My friend Milominderbinder2, as well as some ouf our other valued members, have put together a huge amount of helpful material including hundreds of tips you can't live without.

8. indiana324

indiana324 Cool Member

May 14, 2008
    but what are the best tips people use?? There is just a crapload of info to sift through...is there a condensed list of best ones?? i have on demand working thorugh my router but getting media share to work looks hard...i tried and didnt get to far...got stuck in the cmd prompt area of setting up pc...is there an easy way to get media share up and running??

thanks again!!

Mike

9. Bronco70

Bronco70 AllStar

May 14, 2008
    Mike,

D* is currently offering the AM-21 for FREE with no shipping charge!

My HR-21 was installed yesterday and the AM-21 is on it's way. In my market only ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX come via sat in HD. So the 21 is needed for PBS HD, the local digital sub channels and couple of other independents in HD.

In addition my house is at about the highest elevation in the county. With a high gain directional antenna, a pre-amp and a rotor I can receive an additional 5-7 stations from an adjacent market. I've had fun fooling around pulling those distant signals in with an HR 10-250 over the past few years.

Time to go play with the new toy. The VOD feature seems pretty cool.

Joe

10. Bronco70

Bronco70 AllStar

May 14, 2008
    Gee I just registered here today and already I've learned something useful.

Thanks,

Joe

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Mike, the easiest way I found to get Media Share working in a basic form is to use Windows Media Player.

-Make sure your DVR is connected to the network, then launch Windows Media Player.

-In Vista, the DVR might be found right away, but in XP, right-click on Library, then click on Media Sharing.

-Check "Share My Media" then the button at the bottom, and then if the DVR shows up, you're done.

-If not click "Settings" and "automatically add new devices". Then leave the PC on overnight.

For many people that's all it takes. Some prefer to use a program like TVersity to share videos as well.

12. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Welcome to DBSTalk

There is a lot of good information around here. The option of adding an eSATA drive is a very nice option. But as the other poster said it replaces the internal drive (does not add to it). Any recordings or series links you have will remain on the internal drive and you can disconnect the eSATA drive and reboot and get to them but when adding an eSATA drive you will need to setup all of your series links again and you will have no recordings on it.

13. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006