1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Install Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dringess, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dringess

dringess New Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Switching from cable, I tried to become a new subscriber with DirecTV with HD and a HR-20. My lot is surrounded by trees so I figured there might be LOS issues. Sure enough, the installer said that he could get the "main" satellite, but couldn't get locals (non-HD) because of a large tree SE of my lot. Needing locals, I cancelled the installation.

My questions are:

1. Does the installer's explanation make sense? I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa if that helps.

2. Is there any way to use multiple dishes?

3. I know this is a DirecTV forum, but if a DirecTV install won't work, is it possible that a Dish Network install might?

2. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    The installer makes sense but he may not be totaly accurate. The E* cluster is located in a different place in the sky and you may have LOS to it. There is some good info on combining dishes for D* LOS issues in the thread below.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=62223

3. rahchgo

rahchgo Godfather

Feb 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    www.dishpointer.com might help you double check the installer. In general, you need a clear view of the southwestern sky for both DirecTV and Dish Network. Here's a link to a great discription of combining dishes. http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1079192&postcount=164

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    See the links in my signature below for tips to help you use the sun & moon's position in the sky to help you find suitable spots with clear line-of-sight, or to use multiple dishes at different spots to "see" all of the satellites.

5. Ext 721

Ext 721 Icon

Feb 26, 2007
    1: it makes sense

2: absolutely...there's even a way to use a slimline and a triple dish...
    requires a powered 4x8, a 6x8 wideband, and 4 splitter-combiners.

3: if the satellite(s) that were blocked were 110 and 119, those are dishnet's primary birds. Unless I'm flat-out wrong, dishnet will be a no-go also if those are blocked.

4: there's always a way...although that way may involve a small tower:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.