Newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by 87bob70, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 9, 2015 #1 of 10
    87bob70

87bob70 New Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Last year I got (2) Dish VIP211Z's plus a Vuqube Flex Antenna for our RV. We have Cable at home. I am considering making the move to Dish for both home and RV. I called Dish to inquiry and the first thing they want to do was to sign me up for a 24 month contract with all new equipment. They push, push, push,! First I'd like some information please. So here are the questions I'm looking for answers to:

1) What kind of home antenna do I need to use the VIP211Z's (or any future equipment) with?
    2) How hard is it to lock in the position of a home antenna?
    3) What meter should I buy to set it?
    4) Has anyone added a hard drive to one to one of these VIP211Z units to record programing?
    5) Since we may want to go to a full internal DVR what is the most current model and can it be bought outright? And where is the best place to go to get equipment?
    6) Are the three Satellites 110, 119, 129 the only main "Dish" satellites I need to get SD and HD on the home system?
    7) Should I get a bundle of equipment and service from Dish why or why not?

Thanks in advance for looking at this post and sharing your thoughts. I'm kind of tired of cable. We have in some cases several channels with the same programing on and the selection is not real great. Plus the cost is rising faster than I can keep up with. I do not watch much broadcast network entertainment (ABC, NBC, CBS). I watch mostly things like the Discovery Channel, Science Channel.

2. Mar 9, 2015 #2 of 10
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That depends on where you call home. Either a 1000.2 or a 1000.4.
    This too depends on the dish. In general, it is pretty easy.
    The one in the receiver will work. If you want something you can connect at the dish, one of those $7-12 Amazon meters will work.
    Lots of people have done this. You pay your $40 and go to town. Having only one tuner as the ViP211z does kinda smarts.
    You can buy any model you want. Getting DISH to activate it is the trick.
    See answer to question 1.
    If you want to turn off the home DVR when you go on the road, then buying is your best option as you can deactivate the DVR arbitrarily and save money on lease and DVR fees.

If you're never very far from home, leasing is a much, much better deal.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    #4, We have an external HD connected to our 211K receiver. As said, there's a one time $40 fee. The 211 is limited to only watching/recording one satellite channel at a time, but if you have an OTA antenna connected to your reciever, you can record a sat channel while watching an OTA channel, or vice versa. You can also record both a sat channel and an OTA channel while watching a previously recorded program, so it's not quite as limiting as it might seem at first. It's still not as flexible as having a three tuner plus OTA Hopper though. :grin:

#6, The two primary sets of three sats that Dish uses are the western arc sats you've mentioned at 110, 119, 129 degrees and the eastern arc sats at 61.5, 72.7, and 77 degrees. Both the 1000.2 and 1000.4 dishes can be equipped with the correct LNB set for either arc, although the 1000.4 is somewhat easier to aim and has a slightly larger surface area. For home use, you'll want to use the satellites that carry your local channels in HD if possible.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The 1000.4 WA has been delared a no-go some time in the last six months or so. This would be especially important for someone on the Pacific Coast where it seems to have a lot of trouble.

5. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I bought my 211k a few years ago and upgraded from the 2700 and Dish activated it just fine. For me, HDD added is great, but I do not have a family to deal with.

6. 87bob70

87bob70 New Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Thanks for all the responses!

It seems like the best way to do this is to go with the Hopper and a Joey with the 24 month contract(I do hate this contract business). Adding the external drives to the 211Z's would cost 80.00 and only allow the recording of one channel each.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Is the $40 fee for a 211 external hard drive per receiver or per account?

I always thought it was once per account.

8. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    it's per account.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That's what I thought... but since he was counting $80 against two receivers I wanted to pose the question to be sure... so hopefully that additional $40 he was counting wasn't the major contributor to his decision one way or the other.

10. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    I've used a 1000.4 for both arcs pretty much all over the US with no problems. I don't understand why the 1K4 on th WA would have any particular issues on the west coast. Dish may not want to install a 1K4 equipped for the WA, but if the OP wants to purchase one for a DIY installation, they're readily available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.