DBSTalk Forum banner

Newbie needs help w/set-up

4K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  veryoldschool 
#1 ·
Hello all you wizards,
As you know I don't qualify for that or I wouldn't be clicking keys on my keyboard at this moment. Here's my dilemma,
I have a vacation home in the wilderness and have set up a 6 foot dish and I have a DTV32+ LNB with 2 outlets on it. One coax goes to my detached garage while the other one goes to the house. Now, I have the single coax feed centralized in the house where all of the coax feeds from other parts of the house meet. I tried to to use a multiswitch (WNC DIRECTV Splitter MSPLIT4R1-01 2-2150 MHz) and it tried to work but lost the signal. So in my research I went to an installation guide by Directv and found a diagram for my issue. The following is the URL that I went to. satinstalltraining.com. This is when I threw in the towel and decided to get help from you guys.
So I'm sure that I need a power source but I don't want to be obtaining anything before I know that I am headed in the right direction. That being said, I need some good guy out there to advise me on whether or not this is something that is a simple task and the what's and how's of putting the proper pieces in place. I did notice that the diagrams that I saw showed a phone line attached to the back of the receiver. No phone here so I don't know if that is an issue or not. By the way my receivers are Directv's standard D 12-100.
Okay, Can someone with a little knowledge please tell me if this is possible with the information I've provided or will it not work? And a little guidance would be much appreciated. Thank You all so much in advance. Bob...

See less See more
#3 ·
First off what kind of 6ft dish are you trying to use? You do not need a 6ft dish.

Second, the DTV32+lnb is a two output standard lnb and will not work with a 6ft dish

Third, you can not feed a muliti switch with one cable, it needs at least two and depending on the switch, it will need 4 cables.

So, with that, if you are feeding 2 locations with one cable each from the dish, then yes location 2 with switch will not work.

Are you wanting to get just standard programing or HD?

If just standard then you only need a basic 18" round dish, if you are looking for HD then you need to get a SL3 dish and I would go with the 4 output type.

Go to solidsignal.com and look at the differant dish's.

Now, you are feeding a location away from the main house, at this point yes you will need a switch.

Soo, the way I would go is, SL3 4 output, with a Zinwell 6x8 switch then feed each location from the switch.

Do not use the splitter that you have in this setup, as you can not devide a cable feed.

#4 ·
Hey veryoldschool, I don't know if you got this reply or not. So my current concern is that I would tie this all together in the garage and someway or another replace my single lead into the house with as many coax cables as I would like receivers. Can you give me the types of multi switches to use and whether or not they would need a power supply. I am sorry but I'm just a rookie. Thank you, B
p.s. I'm using standard definition, no HD. also i can't send url's so I breaking this up so it doesn't look like one.
prosatellitesupply. com/PDF_Files/4-WAY_MULTI-SWITCH.pdf

#5 ·
Bobirino said:
Hey veryoldschool, I don't know if you got this reply or not. So my current concern is that I would tie this all together in the garage and someway or another replace my single lead into the house with as many coax cables as I would like receivers. Can you give me the types of multi switches to use and whether or not they would need a power supply. I am sorry but I'm just a rookie. Thank you, B
Give that you're only needing signals from the 101 SAT, this is a bit of overkill, but: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...band-frequency-(ku/ka)-6x8-multiswitch-(wb68)

Connect a coax to the 13 & 18 volt inputs and you have eight outputs for receivers.

Maybe the next question might be how long will your coax runs be?

#9 ·
I will have under100' to where I need to place the multiswitch. Then from the multiswitch I will need to feed maybe 40' to the longest run in the house, but I will also need to feed the coax back to the garage area which is another 70-80'. Is that going to be an issue. And I'm supposing that a standard DC volt tester will allow me to find the 13 and 18 volt sides of the LNB?

#10 ·
the voltages dont matter on the LNB. The reason that was mentioned is if you get the WB68 switch suggested it will have 4 inputs - 13v, 18v, 13v w/22khz, and 18v w/22khz. Until you go HD you wont be using the w/22khz inputs. Either cable from the LNB can go to the 2 inputs you will be using

#11 ·
thanks. I get this message when i click on your setup.

Bobirino, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Log Out Home

#12 ·
Connect a coax to the 13 & 18 volt inputs and you have eight outputs for receivers.

Maybe the next question might be how long will your coax runs be?[/QUOTE]

I will have under100' to where I need to place the multiswitch. Then from the multiswitch I will need to feed maybe 40' to the longest run in the house, but I will also need to feed the coax back to the garage area which is another 70-80'. Is that going to be an issue.

#14 ·
Bobirino said:
I will have under100' to where I need to place the multiswitch. Then from the multiswitch I will need to feed maybe 40' to the longest run in the house, but I will also need to feed the coax back to the garage area which is another 70-80'. Is that going to be an issue.
140' is about the limit, so I have some concerns about the run to the garage.

#15 ·
Okay, new problems. After taking a good look at my wiring for the house to the garage and then from the entry point of the house to the island in the center of the house where I branch out to separate areas of the house is a problem. That is the conduit that houses my wires from the entry point is not large enough to pull the wires in that I need. So, my new question is... Ready... Is it possible to put the Directv wb68 Dtv 6x8 Switch at the point of entry into the garage. Keep my single coax feed into the house from the wb68 and place another switch under my counter at the island to branch out again with another multiswitch?.. I think that is my only hope because of the limited size of the conduit and the number coax cables needed. Any other ideas on how to make this thing work??

#17 ·
I have my dish on the ground between the house and the garage.
my coax cables from the dish will go to my garage first.
from there a have an underground conduit that leads to a closet in area on one end of the house. No problem with coax cables to that point. now.
I have a smaller conduit that leads from the closet area to under the island in the kitchen which is my feed for all the rooms and areas where I will be branching off from. In short I am stuck with to small of conduit for the amount of feeds that I would need to bring to the junction box from the closet as it is only a 1/2 inch conduit.
I would like to eventually have as many as 5 receivers in the house and one in the garage. However, I would be happy with 3 in the house and 1 in the garage. And if that wouldn't work I would be happy with 2 in the house and 1 in the garage.
My problem in short is, to put the multiswitch where all my leads are under the island counter I would have to pull in 2 coax cables to feed the switch from the garage area.
then, In that same conduit, I would have to put in 2 more coax cables as feeds to receivers, 1 in the bedroom and one back to the garage. It's tough for me to explain so I will send you some pictures. and a quick drawn diagram. My problem is with not being able to put the more coax cables in the existing lines at certain locations. Like the main group to and from where switch would be.. I'm sorry if I'm making this difficult to understand. We can call it quits if you want.

With where I have to put the multiswitch I don't have enough room in the conduit for return coax cables to feed other receivers. If I could put a multiswitch in the garage first. then feed to a junction box with just one coax cable and split it from there. Would that work?

Attachments

#18 ·
Since wiring has now become a gating factor, moving to a single wire system, "might be" an option.
If you're in the continental US [hopefully], you don't need a dish that big.

If you stay with the dish & LNB, then one of these might work:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...-switch-with-power-supply-(8-channel)-(swm-8)

You'd connect the two coax from the LNB, then connect the garage coax to output #1, with the power inserter and receiver there.
Output #2 runs to the house, where a 4-way splitter could feed for receivers.

The same technology is found in this LNB, but it would be hard to mount to your dish: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...built-in-multiswitch-(sl3-swm)&sku=8546300073

Starting with a new dish: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ce-and-sl-3-swm-lnb-combo-(au9-sl3-swm-b-pws)

These are for HD, so if you ever want to move to HD, you'll be ready.

Coax lengths and types of splitters can be seen here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=2934393&postcount=13

Your photos show your coax might need some work. Good RG6 solid copper core is needed on the run with the power inserter, and you can get away with other types on the other runs, but with long runs, RG6 is your best option.

#19 ·
Yes, I think we are on track now. Wow, I'm starting to feel it. Just a couple minor thoughts before I go to Amazon and order.

Here is what I'm going to order:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C292AC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2HIWVB3P59IHZ

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FG73YO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2HIWVB3P59IHZ

Here's what I have:

1 WNC MSPLIT4R1-01 2-2150 MHz
1 Perfect Vision 2 way splitter 2-2300 MHz
1 Ideal Satellite/Digital Cable 85-334 5 MHz -2.3GHz
1 High Performance Splitter 1GHz 4way 7.4dB outlets

Now, is there something here that I definitely use and maybe something here that I definitely shouldn't use.

One more thing: Between the house and the garage I have a large enough conduit to bring in 2 additional coax cables but only to that point. That means that I can place the powered multiswitch about 40' closer to my junction box where I can only continue on with single coax. Would that be something you might suggest or wait and see how it does in the garage before I take it to the next step?

You are the best.........

P.S. I do need that size dish....

Other info I have found.

This product will provide 8 independent tunners for your DirecTV service. You can connect either 4 HD-DVR's or 8 SD Boxes. One of my favorite options is that you can cascade this device with another SWM8 multiswitch to increase the number of tunners.

#20 ·
Bobirino said:
Yes, I think we are on track now. Wow, I'm starting to feel it. Just a couple minor thoughts before I go to Amazon and order.

Here is what I'm going to order:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C292AC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2HIWVB3P59IHZ

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FG73YO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2HIWVB3P59IHZ

Here's what I have:

1 WNC MSPLIT4R1-01 2-2150 MHz
1 Perfect Vision 2 way splitter 2-2300 MHz
1 Ideal Satellite/Digital Cable 85-334 5 MHz -2.3GHz
1 High Performance Splitter 1GHz 4way 7.4dB outlets

Now, is there something here that I definitely use and maybe something here that I definitely shouldn't use.

One more thing: Between the house and the garage I have a large enough conduit to bring in 2 additional coax cables but only to that point. That means that I can place the powered multiswitch about 40' closer to my junction box where I can only continue on with single coax. Would that be something you might suggest or wait and see how it does in the garage before I take it to the next step?

You are the best.........

My first concern is the PI. There are two a 21 volt & 29 volt. I'd tend to stay away from the 21 volt.

1 WNC MSPLIT4R1-01 2-2150 MHz < good
1 Perfect Vision 2 way splitter 2-2300 MHz < maybe can use it
1 Ideal Satellite/Digital Cable 85-334 5 MHz -2.3GHz < nope
1 High Performance Splitter 1GHz 4way 7.4dB outlets < useless

The SWM8 can be mounted outside in the weather, where the PI can't be.

You want to locate it where the output coax runs are as close to the same as is feasible. If you're using a 4-way splitter its loss is close to 100' of RG6, so it's the combination of coax & splitter losses that you need to deal with.
If locating the SWM8 near the house is the way to go, then use the PI there and swap output #1 & 2, as it can only be powered through #1.
The closer the PI is to the SWM8, the less you would need/prefer to have, the 29 volt, and the 21 volt will work.

I wish you hadn't posted this, because it suggests you're not in the continental US, and receiving DirecTV service outside the legal service area, isn't something the forum supports.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.