1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Question: Are any "used" HR20's on Ebay legit?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by whitepelican, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 7, 2007 #1 of 39
    whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    I see people selling some used HR20-700's on ebay. One such seller has a good rating and said that he bought the box at Circuit City a few months back and has since cancelled DirecTV service. I got the RID # from him and called DirecTV and they said that the box would be OK to be activated on my account. So I guess my confusion is this: Aren't these boxes all "leased" units? And if so, why doesn't DirecTV want them shipped back to them upon cancellation of service? I'm having a hard time fitting these puzzle pieces together. Someone help me understand how this situation is possible. I just want to make sure that I wouldn't be getting hosed if I buy a used DVR.

2. Dec 7, 2007 #2 of 39
    Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    I wouldn't bid on any H20-21 HR20-21 unit without checking the RID# out with DirecTV first.

98% are leased not owned !!

The likely hood of getting a leased unit on ebay is high.

PS: Think Directv should allow someone who mistakenly bought the leased unit to go ahead and activate it anyway, as long as the person agrees it's still Directv's property and takes the two year agreement.

3. Dec 7, 2007 #3 of 39
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    While that provides the buyer a degree of protection on his "investment", the seller is going to be charged the full list purchase price when he fails to return the unit (which he shouldn't have sold to start with).

Carl

4. Dec 7, 2007 #4 of 39
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's possible that some are, but I'd bet that those are the ones from satellite dealers offering you a similar price to what you'd get anyway.

5. Dec 7, 2007 #5 of 39
    whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    But that's exactly what I did. I checked with DirecTV and they said I would be able to activate it. I'm just trying to figure out how that is possible if it is most likely a leased unit.

6. Dec 7, 2007 #6 of 39
    HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    As previously mentioned...most are leased. I think the 98% is a bit high. In sept 06 when i got my first two....one of them came owned. It was replacing an owned HR10-250. Call D* and give the the ID# and make sure it is an owned unit and there is no outstanding balance from the previous account.

7. Dec 7, 2007 #7 of 39
    Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Some are OK. I know that a co-worker, who had problems with his owned HR10-250, but was on the protection plan, ended up getting DirecTV to replace his Tivo with an HR20 or HR21. At the same time, he was in the process of changing to cable (they had offered a "triple play" including all premium channels, for $99 per month for the next two years, to people converting from satellite or Fios.

Last week, when he got the replacement receiver from DirecTV, which he now owns, he sold it on ebay. Since DirecTV didn't want the HR10-250 back, he replaced the hard drive and sold that on ebay too. Right after receiving the replacement, he canceled DirecTV.

8. Dec 7, 2007 #8 of 39
    HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    That may come back to haunt him. He may have signed up for a new 2 year comittment.

Did he ever activate the new HR20/21?

9. mishawaka

mishawaka AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    so what's the deal here? is the joke on the people who are selling them, in that they have to pay when they don't return the unit? can any unit off ebay be activated?

i am looking to upgrade to a HD DVR solution, but want the HR20, since i don't get my locals in HD from D*.

10. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    No, not any unit off ebay can be activated. Any previously OWNED unit that you purchase should be able to be activated. Any previously LEASED unit that you "purchase" would normally not be able to be activated. In that case both you and the seller are stuck. You paid for something you can't use, and the seller will be charged full retail for something he should have returned to DirecTV.

So, how do you get an HR20? Easy.
    1. Buy from a legitimate dealer who has one in stock (including some ebay sellers).
    2. Get the receiver ID number (RID) from the seller of an HR20, call DirecTV and ask them if you buy this unit, will you be able to activate it? Do this before you pay for the unit.

Carl

11. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    A replacment under the protection plan does not increase your commitment.

12. vernonator

vernonator AllStar

Jul 31, 2007
    I would not say that...I had an old DirecTivo (owned) replaced under the protection plan and they made me sign the 2 yr upgrade.

13. TMullenJr

TMullenJr Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Most of the HR20's on Ebay are going for around $180 plus shipping. You get get one directly from DirecTV for $200 with some haggling. Unless you get a killer deal on ebay, I would stick with a unit that you know will not be an issue activating.

14. dhhaines

dhhaines Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Has anyone NOT been able to activate a unit from EBay? I've purchased 2 h20's and 1 HR20 from Ebay and just called and activated. 5 minute call for each. No problems with any of the units.

15. Incog-Neato

Incog-Neato Godfather

Apr 21, 2006
    Then you should complain to them. It specifically states "OWNED REPLACED BY OWNED" and "NO ADDED COMMITMENT" in DirecTV's customer system for receivers replaced under the Prot Plan (the plan you pay $7.95 or $5.95/month for). Either they erred or you don't have the PP. If they came out and installed a new DISH that would be an UPGRADE which is a different story, but just a reeiver replacement, no contract.

16. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    That just doesn't seem right.

17. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    I don't see why they wouldn't activate any unit. They get a 2 year commitment on the leased receiver from the buyer and they get to charge the seller the full price for the non-returned leased receiver plus any time left on his commitment. More money for DirecTV.:lol: The only time I could see a problem would be if it was reported as stolen. Checking the RID # would show that.

18. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I have seen a couple of posts from people who have not been able to activate a unit they purchased used. I don't have first hand knowledge of any such situation.

Also, we are all familiar with CSR Roulette - sometimes it's just a coin toss as to what will or won't happen.

Carl

19. w3syt

w3syt Legend

Feb 17, 2006
    I just fired up an H-20 from Ebay ($25) and it was an open box with a new sealed card. They sent me a Fedex box to return my D10 which I had bought on Ebay previously for $5. I would have to return my H-20 if I ever disconnect it. I imagine the D10 will go to a crusher ?

20. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It will probably get refurbed and sent out as a replacement for someone else's D10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.