1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question - Why buy an HD receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by megabytes, Jul 25, 2013.

1. megabytes

megabytes New Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Hi,

I just bought an HD receiver to replace a non-hd box. I thought by buying it I would eliminate the monthly charge.

I call DTV last week and paid $20 for a new access card for it and activated it today. When I called them, I was told that I would still be charged the same monthly fee, but it wasn't a rental fee, it was a "regulation fee".

What is the point in buying the box if I still have to pay DTV a monthly fee for it?

Am I just stupid? Whay would anybody buy the box if you still pay the same monthly fee?

2. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    They still get the same monthly fee if you own or lease sadly.... The only reason to own is so you can specify a model and you can start/stop your subs when you feel like it because you are not under contract. But - as you now know it doesn't save you on your monthly bill.

Sorry....

3. megabytes

megabytes New Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Wow!!

What a scam!!!.

They lease a box to you, but if you buy one, they charge you anyway.

How do I start a business like this?

Thanks for the info. Wish I knew it sooner.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    calling it a "scam" because you were not aware aware is not right.

Another reason to buy instead of lease, is that there is no commitment, no difference than buying a cellphone

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Look at it this way, every stb you have costs $6/month. There has always been a monthly charge per stb since as far back as I can remember and I've been with them since 1997. no different than the cable provider models. The only difference is if you pay the much lower lease price from them, you have to return the receiver if they want it back, if you ever choose to cancel your service, again just like the cable providers model for stb's. You can pay more and outright buy an stb if you choose, but at the end of your tenure with D* as your provider, you get to do with it what you please. It is not any kind of scam by any definition I am familiar with either.