1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by OMal, Dec 18, 2012.

1. OMal

OMal New Member

Dec 18, 2012
    I currently have Direct TV with an HR-21 HDDVR. My hard drive is approximately 80% full right now. I am going to be switching over to FIOS, but don't want to lose what I have recorded. I know I can copy the programs do disk, but my device died earlier today. My question is....is there any way in which I can watch what is already recorded after my service is canceled?

I apologize if this has been asked before, I've looked and can't seem to find it. Also, I'm pretty much a tech idiot, so simple answers will be most appreciated.

Thank you.

2. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    You should be able to view your recorded programs on the Directv DVR. You will probably get an annoying "Searching for Satellite" or "Dish not found" pop-up while viewing, which you can remove by hitting "Exit". I watched several recorded programs on a "Disconnected" HR21 during a house remodel last year.

3. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Once deactivated you can not use the receiver to watch previously recorded programs. You can remove the incomming satellite line prior to cancelling service; however this will only buy upto a few days before it will be tuned off by non authorization default.

You also mentioned your "device died"? what exactly stopped working?

4. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    This may be true. I can't remember how long mine was not connected to the dish.....

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Also, your HR21 is almost certainly leased, which means you will have to return it to DirecTV following deactivation. So even if your recordings are viewable for a few days, possibly a week or so, when the recovery box shows up you need to ship it back.

Best is to plan to keep the unit active until you have either watched the recordings you are interested in, or are able to record them elsewhere.

6. OMal

OMal New Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Thank you all for your responses.

Sorry I was unclear. I meant that my DVR, which I was using to transfer some programs to disk, pooped out this morning. I think the cosmos are trying to tell me something about watching too much TV.:lol:

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Since the dvr is now dead, you're out of luck. Currently the only way to view those recordings is on the device that recorded them, or via MRV but the playback is still originating on the original device that recorded it.