1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Receiver Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Arclight, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Arclight

Arclight New Member

May 11, 2002
    I am planning on moving from Comcast to DTV. I have been reading about the various DTV receivers. I am not interested in the Genie Line of receivers.

I am considering this plan:

1. One HR 24 HD DVR in the media room where my modem and router are located.

2. One HR 24 HD DVR in the master B/room where there is hard-wire internet.

3. One HD H25 in the kitchen where there is no internet service. The HDtv is just a small one we watch in the morning. Do not need any recording function here--just for simple viewing.

Will this plan /setup work ?

Would I need internet svc for the kitchen ?

Will these receivers be NIB or refurbished ?

I have never had NIB equipt with Comcast. I am worn out driving back and forth to their office trying to get various components that work.

Thx
    Steve

2. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Yep - that setup will work just fine. You don't need Internet in the kitchen - only need one connection to the internet and then only if you want to do On-Demand downloads.

There is no knowing what equipment you'll get. DirecTV considers the HR21/22/23 and 24 to be 'equal'. They are not equal but that is DirecTV policy. The HR24s are the fastest regular DVRs and the H25 is the fastest HD receiver but again - you can't order specific models.

Some people tell the installer that if they don't have the HR24 (or the HR44 for the Genie) to not bother coming. Sometimes the installer calls ahead, sometimes not.

I personally wouldn't let them install anything but HR24s, H25s or HR44 in the Genie line but that's completely up to you. I figure if you're committing to 2 years you may as well get the best you can get.

I can tell you right now there will be a slew of posts bashing me for saying it but it doesn't make it any less 'true' that the other models are slower and older.

Good luck!

Oh - and as to NIB or used - again DirecTV considers a New HR24 the same as 5 year old beat to hell HR21 to be the 'same' and they come with the same price tag and commitment.

3. Arclight

Arclight New Member

May 11, 2002
    Thx Mike!

So if I order the above, I may not get two actual 24s and one 25 ?

How would I contact the installer to insure I get what I want?

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You'll get what the tech has on his truck. The only sure way of getting the model receiver you want is by going to Solid Signal or WeaKnees.

5. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    No - when you order them they can only put in an order for 2 HD DVRs and one HD receiver. It's up to what the installer has as to what models you'll get. Could be new HR24s or 5 year old HR21s that smell like cigarettes and tequila.

I don't know of a way to find out who the installer will be until they call the day of the install or when they show up at your door. People have requested 'notes' to be entered into the order to make sure the installer calls ahead but that still doesn't mean they will. You may be able to call DirecTV the day before the install and/or the morning of and request again that they call ahead but they may still just show up.

6. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    That is a good point. You can forgo the new customer discounted hardware and pay to lease the HR24s from SS or Weaknees. That will cost you an extra $500 and if one fails 3 days later they could still replace it with that old HR21...

7. Arclight

Arclight New Member

May 11, 2002
    OK, this is getting interesting. So, if I buy from Solid Signal, they will be NIB exact ordered models?

So, who does the install if I buy from SS ?

8. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Why aren't you interested in the Genie?

9. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    As far as I know they will be model specific and new. The SS people seem to be very good re-sellers and are quite helpful. I think I've read that in some areas they have contracted installers but you're much better off calling them directly and seeing what they can do for a new DirecTV customer. Do keep in the mind however, like everyone else, if a box fails you're right back to the whatever is next in line replacement.

10. Arclight

Arclight New Member

May 11, 2002
    I'm leery because it is new technology and may have a lot of problems.

Would it be NIB from DTV?

Would I need an internet connection in the kitchen if I went with Genies?

11. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You would most likely get a NIB Genie from DirecTV. There are two models. The HR34 and the HR44. Both have 5 tuners and a 1TB hard drive. The HR44 is newer and adds the following......External Power Supply......Internal Wi-Fi......RF compatibility with the RC71 remote......Optical Audio Out......Slightly faster processor.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Get a genie, a hr24 and a h25 (as you see you can only guarantee the type.)

That will give you far more versatility than what you where suggesting. In fact, I'd consider getting a genie and two h25s or a genie and one genie mini and a h25, or just a full on genie system.

A full genie only system would actually be more versitale than the system you where suggesting in your first post.

I would chose a genie over an hr24 everyday of the week, no hesitation. They are the boxes to have. The clients in the other rooms is where some more thought should be put into it.

What do you have now in terms of DVRs and such? And most importantly, where do you watch tv the most and the least? These questions might make it easier to give you suggestins on which route to go for the second and third rooms.

13. Arclight

Arclight New Member

May 11, 2002
    I'm coming from Comcast. So, the Genie would be in the media room and the clients (mini-Genies) in the master bedroom and kitchen?
    My wife watches in the master bedroom and me in the media room. In the morn were both in the kitchen but would not need recording option on that small HDtv.

14. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Do you both record everything you watch right now? How many dvrs do you have with cable now?

15. Arclight

Arclight New Member

May 11, 2002
    1. no
    2. none

16. Arclight

Arclight New Member

May 11, 2002
    Just talked to a DTV CSR and he assured me they would not send out used boxes regardless of type.

17. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Don't fall for that! They are either misinformed or lying. Most likely a new person or something but unless something changed today that is not the truth.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not the case, If I were to do your install today, you will be getting HR21s as that is all that is available in the warehouse right now. of course this is in my market and YMMV.

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    also note that DirecTV current promotion includes 1 Genie and 3 clients free of charge (if you qualify). adding an HDDVR will cost more upfront.

20. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Then I'd go full genie with genie minis. A full genie system will give you so much more to work with and do then you have ever had before. At most if you're really concerned about new stuff (although it works great, many people are getting them all the time) I would get a genie in the main room, a genie mini in the kitchen, and an h25 in the bedroom. No reason for you to get two dvrs. Getting one genie is so much better for all sorts of reasons for someone who has never had one.

The big advantage of having genie minis is that then all three locations will act identically. The only difference is that only your main tv will be able to use PIP. otherwise, the interface is the same everywhere. (by the way, no matter what route you go, every location will be able to initiate a record, and every location will be able to play back something that has been recorded.)

Oh, and just start recording everything you watch. You will never go back to live tv as a regular way of watching tv again. (ok, maybe not news in the morning if that's what you have on, as that is the one thing i watch live sometimes still. However, even then, I find myself loving having the buffer in case I miss something that was said and I want to go back a bit and hear it, which is another reason to go all genie system.)