Nexstar Next to Go?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by SomeRandomIdiot, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 4, 2014 #1 of 16
    SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    Nexstar Broadcasting Group said Thursday evening that Dish Network subscribers in 60 markets are at risk of its stations at 11:59 p.m. ET Friday night since the satellite service has yet to reach a new distribution agreement allowing Dish to continue to air Nexstar’s stations. For over a month, Nexstar said, it has been negotiating in good faith to establish a mutually agreeable contract with Dish.

Nexstar said it has established a long-term record of completing hundreds of agreements with cable, satellite providers and telecom companies for the carriage of its programming and “is proud of the fact that it has had no material service interruptions related to distribution agreements since 2005.”

Code:
    DMA Rank  Affiliation  Station  DMA Name
    8	NBC	WHAG-TV	Washington, DC
    11	CW	KASW	Phoenix, AZ
    17	CBS	KREG-TV	Denver, CO
    34	ABC	KTVX	Salt Lake City, UT
    34	CW	KUCW	Salt Lake City, UT
    45	CW	WLYH-TV	Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York, PA
    48	CW	WCWJ	Jacksonville, FL
    50	CW	WLMT	Memphis, TN
    50	ABC	WPTY-TV	Memphis, TN
    54	CBS	KGPE	Fresno-Visalia, CA
    54	NBC	KSEE	Fresno-Visalia, CA
    55	NBC	WBRE-TV	Wilkes Barre-Scranton, PA
    56	NBC	KARK-TV	Little Rock-Pine Bluff, AR
    56		KARZ-TV	Little Rock-Pine Bluff, AR
    67	FOX	WFXR-TV	Roanoke-Lynchburg, VA
    67	CW	WWCW	Roanoke-Lynchburg, VA
    68	CBS	WFRV-TV	Green Bay-Appleton, WI
    72	CW	KCWI-TV	Des Moines-Ames, IA
    72	ABC	WOI-DT	Des Moines-Ames, IA
    75	IND	KOZL-TV	Springfield, MO
    78	CBS	WROC-TV	Rochester, NY
    79	FOX	WZDX	Huntsville-Decatur-Florence, AL
    83	NBC	KTAL-TV	Shreveport, LA
    84	ABC	WSYR-TV	Syracuse, NY
    85	CBS	WCIA	Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, IL
    85		WCIX	Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, IL
    86	NBC	KVEO-TV	Harlingen-Weslaco-Brownsville-McAllen, TX
    87	FOX	KWKT-TV	Waco-Temple-Bryan, TX
    91	NBC	KTSM-TV	El Paso, TX
    93	CW	WBRL-CD	Baton Rouge, LA
    93	FOX	WGMB-TV	Baton Rouge, LA
    98	FOX	WFFF-TV	Burlington, VT-Plattsburgh, NY
    100	CW	KGCW	Davenport, IA-Rock Island-Moline, IL
    100	CBS	WHBF-TV	Davenport, IA-Rock Island-Moline, IL
    101	FOX	KFTA-TV*Ft. Smith-Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, AR
    101	NBC	KNWA-TV	Ft. Smith-Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, AR
    103	ABC	WEHT	Evansville, IN
    103		WTVW*	Evansville, IN
    104	CBS	WTAJ-TV	Johnstown-Altoona, PA
    108	NBC	KETK-TV	Tyler-Longview, TX
    117	CBS	WMBD-TV	Peoria-Bloomington, IL
    124	FOX	KADN-TV	Lafayette, LA
    124		KLAF-LD	Lafayette, LA
    127	NBC	KGET-TV	Bakersfield, CA
    127	TEL	KKEY-LP	Bakersfield, CA
    128	FOX	WEUX	La Crosse-Eau Claire, WI
    128	FOX	WLAX	La Crosse-Eau Claire, WI
    130	NBC	KAMR-TV	Amarillo, TX
    130	FOX	KCIT*	Amarillo, TX
    130		KCPN-LP*Amarillo, TX
    135	FOX	WQRF-TV	Rockford, IL
    137	FOX	KARD	Monroe, LA-El Dorado, AR
    144	CBS	KLBK-TV	Lubbock, TX
    145	NBC	KFDX-TV	Wichita Falls, TX -Lawton, OK
    146	ABC	KMID	Odessa-Midland, TX
    149	ABC	KCAU-TV	Sioux City, IA
    150	FOX	WFXP*	Erie, PA
    150	ABC	WJET-TV	Erie, PA
    151	NBC	KSNF	Joplin, MO-Pittsburg, KS
    154	ABC	WMBB	Panama City, FL
    155	NBC	WTWO	Terre Haute, IN
    159	NBC	WBGH-CA	Binghamton, NY
    159	ABC	WIVT	Binghamton, NY
    164	CBS	KTAB-TV	Abilene-Sweetwater, TX
    166	FOX	KHMT*	Billings, MT
    166	ABC	KSVI	Billings, MT
    171	FOX	WFXV	Utica, NY
    171		WPNY-LP	Utica, NY
    173	ABC	WDHN	Dothan, AL
    175	NBC	WETM-TV	Elmira, NY
    176	FOX	WJKT	Jackson, TN
    177	ABC	WWTI	Watertown, NY
    179		WNTZ-TV	Alexandria, LA
    180	CBS	WJMN-TV	Marquette, MI
    185	FOX	KFQX*	Grand Junction-Montrose, CO
    185	CBS	KREX-TV	Grand Junction-Montrose, CO
    185	CBS	KREY-TV	Grand Junction-Montrose, CO
    198	CBS	KLST	San Angelo, TX
    201	ABC	KQTV	St. Joseph, MO
    * Operated but not owned by Nexstar

2. Dec 5, 2014 #2 of 16
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Everyone always says they were negotiating in "good faith" but they never want to state publicly what they have been asking for in those negotiations. Neither side wants to go fully public in these things... so I tire of the "woe is me, I am being completely reasonable but Dish is the evil empire" comments from a company threatening to pull its feeds.

3. Dec 5, 2014 #3 of 16
    SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    Considering over 50% of the blackouts from all MVPDs over the past 2 years are from 1 Company: Dish....If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, Occam's Razor concludes it most likely IS a duck...

And besides, after seeing the end result Charlie's "negotiation" with Tivo, Voom and DNS (just to name a few), someone sure ends up in Court (and losing) a lot more than other Companies.

4. Dec 5, 2014 #4 of 16
    nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    It is easy to blame DISH, Time Warner Cable, DirecTV, Charter, Comcast, at. al., but let's face it, these disputes are becoming more and more frequent. Mainly because, there are less and less media companies. Consolidation of the industry has left the subscriber with fewer options. No in channels, but the content. Many channels show the same show for 8 hour blocks. Many channels now show mostly or only reality shows. Meaning, they are providing cheap content at higher prices. Syndicated scripted shows cost more than reality shows.

This brings us to OTA digital sub channels. Their variety outweighs much of what we get over satellite. Very few cable systems carry them. No satellite system, carries them, unless the digital sub-channels is ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, MyTV or CW. Of course if they were carried, this would take subscribers away from the cable channels; unwanted competition. But, this is happening anyway. When people, in larger markets, discover that they can get movies and TV shows for free; more start cutting the cord.

So, each time a dispute occurs, subscribers go some where else. I am prepared to lose my CBS affiliate. Right now, I am watching MeTV, as I write this. I generally watch movies and sports. So, if it weren't for networks like ESPN, BTN, Altitude, Root Sports being cable only (no streaming); I would have cut the cord long ago.

When one is paying for 250 plus channels and has to resort to watching OTA sub-channels; there is something wrong with the current paradigm.

5. Dec 5, 2014 #5 of 16
    SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    Most systems (except DBS) have the sub-channels on, though I am sure there are exceptions.

However, your comment goes back to the old 500 channels and nothing on, which in today's society with an on-demand mentality, clearly is changing.

Thing is, with on-demand, it will not be free - and someone will have to pay for it.

BTW, just today a Marketing Expert explained why people do not get mad at the Station/Channel during a Dispute and get mad at the MVPD. A customer sends money to a MVPD monthly, not CBS. So they expect the MVPD to deliver it and blame them when it is not there.

6. Dec 6, 2014 #6 of 16
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Here in NW Oregon, Charter Cable does run some sub channels like THIS and Live Well. But most sub's are not available. I do not have access OTA to any good ones right now, but KATU 2 ABC goes digital on their translator next Summer, METV and Get TV will be OTA. In the meantime I get the majority of the sub channels FTA off my big dish in MPEG2 and MPEG4. Only Antenna TV is not available, as it is scrambled. Viewers in metro areas are very lucky to have access to many of the sub channels. Dish at least does have COZI on FETV and Rural carries some too. I am hoping the sub channels will stream in the future. METV is available on the computer, but not on the Roku. But the Roku does have several arctival channels that run a lot of old B&W 40s/50s shows not available elsewhere.
    But I must admit these constant disputes are getting old. I do not blame Dish or any provider, but still the viewer is the one to lose. Fortunately our CBS is not O&O, but I did lose WSBK Boston in the Super station pack. I guess the only way to avoid these loses is to sub to two services. It would be expensive, but one service or the other would have the channel.

7. Dec 6, 2014 #7 of 16
    SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    As the diginets are bit starved, you will get a better picture from your Big Dish anyway.

8. Dec 9, 2014 #8 of 16
    SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    On Monday evening, Nexstar Broadcasting Group said it has agreed to the third extension of its distribution agreement with Dish Network, allowing the satellite television provider the right to continue to air Nexstar’s stations until 11:59 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Dec. 10.

The agreement covers Nexstar’s broadcast portfolio of 60 stations in 46 markets. Dish’s previous extension with Nexstar expires Monday at 11:59 p.m. ET.

Nexstar’s statement said that “for over two months, Nexstar has been negotiating in good faith to establish a mutually agreeable contract with Dish and Nexstar remains hopeful that a resolution can be reached without a service interruption to viewers in affected markets.

9. Dec 9, 2014 #9 of 16
    maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Exactly. I can't imagine going back to a "static" delivery of content. I understand that sports lovers most certainly will want to, because there really is no good alternative to live sports, give or take a few exceptions.

People have been complaining about wanting channels a-la-carte for years, but it is actually easier to take a-la-carte to the NEXT level, and having not just channels, but individual programs a-la-carte, by subscribing to online streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon.

I had the same problem, really.... except for the Anaheim Ducks, I could care less about the other 6 major league teams I was paying broadcast rights for, and 200 channels to choose from, and most nights we couldn't find anything we wanted to watch. Before I ditched DirecTV, I was already watching other content for a few months. The DVR recorded maybe 4 programs still. And those were also available through streaming sites, although behind a full season. No, its the end of static programming for me.

10. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    So are the Nexstar owned networks still on the air? It's past the deadline.

11. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Yes, the FTA signal on my big dish for the sub channels is a good 480i, but with our Pacific storms on the Oregon Coast, often in the Winter, I cannot watch anything on the big dish as it gets knocked around. Last night we had 60 MPH gusty winds and tonight, maybe 70 MPH ones. Then a third storm on Thursday. I even have the arm on my Dish dishes anchored down, so they do not get the sideways movement, fading the signal in and out. We get hit a lot in the Winter with strong Pacific storms. One saving grace it that if we get a power outage, the temps are warm. It is 63F now at Midnight.

12. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    What planet are you on. The deadline was Wednesday night at 11:59PM, which is in roughly 45 minutes.

Does not matter anyway, as Nexstar and Dish have come to an agreement just minutes ago.

13. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    WHAG is still coming thru via SAT on Dish.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Nexstar Broadcasting and DISH Network Reach Distribution Agreement Covering 60 Stations
    http://www.heraldonline.com/2014/12/10/6613088/nexstar-broadcasting-and-dish.html?sp=/100/773/385/

IRVING, Texas — Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc. (Nasdaq:NXST) (“Nexstar”) announced today that it reached a new distribution agreement with DISH Network, L.L.C. ("DISH Network") (NASDAQ: DISH) allowing the satellite television provider the right to continue to air Nexstar’s highly rated programming. The agreement covers Nexstar’s broadcast platform inclusive of 60 network affiliated and local stations in 46 markets. On Monday, December 8, Nexstar granted DISH an extension until 11:59 p.m. ET tonight to the companies’ previous agreement.

Nexstar is delighted that DISH subscribers in its markets will have uninterrupted access to leading network content from NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, MyNetworkTV, The CW, and Telemundo as well as local news and other programming produced specifically for local communities. Nexstar is also proud of the fact that no material service interruptions related to distribution agreements have occurred with its station group since 2005.

15. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    So, to rehash:

- Turner reached a new agreement.
    - CBS reached a new agreement.
    - NexStar reached a new agreement.

Welcome to your 2015 price increase, and perhaps an additional "broadcast recovery fee" in the NexStar markets. :D

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Turner did not reach an agreement. They simply extended the negotiating window to likely just after March madness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.