NEXSTAR Stations dark on DIRECTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jamieh1, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Jul 4, 2019 #1 of 93
    jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    Nexstar stations are dropped from Directv.
    Can go to your online acct and click on the message link about the dispute and should give a option for a one time $10 credit.

Link takes you to Directvpromise site.

Greenvile Washington New Bern NC market lost CBS and CW

May be a good time to get a LCC since there is a local dispute if you have not been able to get one.

2. Jul 4, 2019 #2 of 93
    dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    They're also gone from Uverse...both our CBS & MNTV locals gone.

3. Jul 4, 2019 #3 of 93
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Apparently AT&T has decided to play hardball with providers.

4. Jul 4, 2019 #4 of 93
    dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    We lost nbc and fox. In norfolk, va

Where the link

Update I found the link when I signed it
    I was offered $15 credit

Will call later see if i can get those new LCCs

It's crazy I feel DirecTV should be exempt from this , what are bars and restaurants going to do if they cannot show the world cup or other sporting events .. do they get waivers ??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  5. Jul 4, 2019 #5 of 93
    dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Yes, & we're STILL missing our FOX & CW locals from last month's dispute with several small station groups. (ours was GOCOM)
    https://www.multichannel.com/news/small-tv-stations-locked-in-retrans-dispute-with-directv

AND...this WILL probably be repeating itself next month with Sinclair stations, as AT&T's contract with them runs out:
    https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/help/pdf/June-2019.pdf
    (scowl down to August)

6. Jul 4, 2019 #6 of 93
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    We lost our local FOX and My network TV affiliates back in February. Like I said, apparently AT&T is playing hardball with providers and is sending a message that they will not pay outrages fees for content.

7. Jul 4, 2019 #7 of 93
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    OTA antennas.

dod1450, BigRedFan and dtv757 like this.
  8. Jul 4, 2019 #8 of 93
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    They can apply for a waiver from the lost station. If it's granted DIRECTV can provide them with the national feed. If not, then as TheRatPatrol stated they'll have to use a OTA antenna.

TheRatPatrol and dtv757 like this.
  9. Jul 4, 2019 #9 of 93
    VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    Brought my antenna (CM 4228) down from the attic and placed it on the chair in our office. Connected the AM21 to our brand new HR54 (installed today) and ALL the locals are coming in. The AM21 has ALL the subchannels of CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, MNT, PBS, CW, an Independent, ION, TBN and three low-power stations too!

dtv757 likes this.
  10. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Looks like I started the process of cutting the cord just in time. After almost 22 years with D*, I suspended my account just this past week and was planning to give it a month or so before I called back to outright cancel. I didn't just cancel right then because the wife was a bit skeptical about accepting the new setup with FireTV and the Recast OTA DVR. However, now with our local CBS station being taken down last night right in the middle of my wife watching James Corden and it being the channel my wife watches and records almost all of her TV shows from, the FireTV/Recast setup is saving the day today and the odds of my wife telling me to "make the final call" are going up by the hour. She was all in a panic because her soaps wouldn't record today and what about Big Brother?? When I reminded her of the FireTV Recast and how it "had her back", she got a big smile on her face! And when she said, what about the TV in the BR, I just went over to the store and bought another FireTV stick. Who would of thunk it? ATT is actually doing me a favor by being ATT!! LOL I never in a thousand years thought I would ever say this but, THANKS ATT!!!

11. slovell

slovell New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Chesnee, SC
    I clicked on the dispute link but there's nothing coming up about a $10 credit option. I lost Greenville, SC channel 4 and 62. I'm really getting tired of these pi#$*ng contests over rates every year. My bill has become ridiculous over the last five years and I'm really starting to question whether it's worth it. I've called several times trying to get a discount and was offered nothing but free HBO, Starz, etc for a month. Big deal, no thanks. Thinking about going to Dish just to get a lower introductory rate for a year. I'm retired on a fixed income and Direct/ATT are pricing themselves right out of my budget.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  12. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I have a Fox and ABC that are Nexstar, WVNY 22 ABC and WFFF 44 Fox, both from Burlington VT. Interestingly, 44 is off with a "Nexstar has pulled this channel blah blah blah" slate but 22 is still there.

blueoyster likes this.
  13. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Here we go again :(

You will need to use an off-air antenna until the corporation that owns those stations allows DirecTV to provide them again. This is an all too common negotiating tactic used by these corporations to extort more money from TV service providers. None are immune, so even switching providers won't help. This might be a good time to get DirecTV's Local Channel Connector (if you have HR44/HR54), or request a credit.

Find out who owns those stations and call them. Request that they allow DirecTV to continue carrying them while negotiations continue. And ask them why providers like Dish, DirecTV and Comcast have to pay them anything when they get to use our public airwaves for FREE?!? After all, these service providers increase their viewership and overall advertising revenue. They're shooting themselves in the foot!

The FCC and Congress could easily fix this. Just allow service providers to deliver an out-of-area station when local stations get greedy.

14. slovell

slovell New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Chesnee, SC
    The FCC and Congress won't fix anything except prices and their bank accounts.

carlsbad_bolt_fan likes this.
  15. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I think the amount of credit is based on how many local stations you lost. After a few attempts of going from tvpromise.att.com then logging into my mother and aunt's accounts they both were offered $5 one time credit however in the Huntington-Charleston, WV area we only lost 1 local WOWK-CBS.

FYI their accounts were converted to AT&T's billing system.

16. Steven Paul

Steven Paul New Member

May 27, 2019
    Here in Las Vegas we lost CBS affiliate channel 8 which, is somewhat of a big deal if it is out come football season and the new fall TV season too.

17. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    That's because the blackout is affecting Nexstar owned stations only. In your area Nexstar owns WFFF-FOX which is why its blacked out. WVNY-ABC is actually owned by Mission Broadcasting, Inc. but is operated by Nexstar under a local marketing agreement. This is why WVNY is still available plus based on the network affiliations I would bet WFFF and WVNY are in the Top 4 highest rated stations in your market.

So in 2014 the FCC strengthen their retransmission consent rules which prevent station owners like Nexstar and Sinclair from pulling two of the Top 4 rated stations in a market. Currently with ownership rules the only way a company like Nexstar or Sinclair can negoatiate and operate two Top 4 stations is through a LMA (local marketing agreement) as the FCC's rules regarding duoploies prevents a company like Nexstar from owning two of the Top 4 highest rated stations in a single market. (That ownership rule applies to full stations only not low powered or Class A stations)

The 2014 rule from the FCC forces Nexstar to negotiate their O&O stations separately from any stations they operate via LMA/SSA agreements. Typically stations affiliated with NBC, CBS, ABC or Fox are the market's Top 4 television stations.

In areas where Nexstar is pulling 2 or more locals this is due to one of the two scenarios below:
    1. Nexstar actually owns 1 full powered TV station but that 1 station has an affiliation with more than one network via subchannels. @jamieh1 market Greenville - New Bern - Washington is a good example of this as the Nexstar station WNCT has a primary affiliation with CBS on its main channel but also is the market's CW station via its 2nd digital subchannel.
    2. Nexstar is providing 1 affiliate via a full power TV station while other local channels are on low powered stations they own. Low power stations are often exempt from some FCC rules (i.e. in a market that normally wouldn't allow for a duopoly with full power stations). The Youngstown, Ohio market is a good example of this as WKBN's primary affiliation is with CBS while the market's Fox affiliation is on the low-powered station WYFX that Nexstar owns. To reach the entire market WYFX's primary channel with the Fox affiliation is simulcast on WKBN's 2nd subchannel.

18. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    I clicked on the link on top of my directv acct. that took me to directvpromise. Then clicked on directv in the message. Then screen popped up said qualify for one time $10 credit then had a option to opt in.

techguy88 and dtv757 like this.
  19. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Thank you for the information. It is interesting. Hearst has some double stations in my markets - they own WPTZ NBC (which I do not have) in the Burlington, VT market and WNNE CW (which I do, it used to be a repeater of the NBC until relatively recently). Windham Co., VT is Boston market but gets all of the VT-based (based on COL) Burlington DMA locals with SV, too. Hearst also own the two ABC affiliates in the Boston market - WMUR in NH and WCVB in actual Boston. How does that work for ownership rules? How do they get to own both ABC affiliates and (previously) both NBC affiliates?

When the Boston market was changing NBC affiliates a couple years ago, there was a dispute with the owners of then-NBC WHDH before they lost the affiliation. Even though I had WNNE as a then-NBC affiliate, when I lost WHDH, someone at Directv gave me DNS NBC. I still have it.

Since WFFF/WVNY, the Nexstar/fake Nexstar stations, are SV for me anyway, it doesn't technically matter. I have OTA and other affiliates.

20. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Your welcome :) If I had any DNS locals I would never give them up lol. It's rare a single market can have 2 stations affiliated with the same network but it can happen due to various reasons. Significantly viewed out of market stations is usually the most common reason.
    • WPTZ & WNNE - WNNE's original signal reached the NH portion of the Boston DMA it is most likely considered a SV local. Looking at Wikipedia the reason WPTZ and WNNE both had the NBC affiliation despite being part of the Burlington-Plattsburgh DMA was due to WPTZ being the only station at the time not operating any translators or repeaters. Heritage Media owned WTPZ before Hearst and purchased WNNE in 1990 and turned it into a semi-satellite of WPTZ. It became a full satellite in 2000.
    • WMUR & WCVB - According to Nielsen they identify this DMA as Boston (Manchester) however the NH portion of this DMA acts as a sub-market within the whole Boston (Manchester) DMA. Because of the DMA's size and the amount of full stations it has Hearst was allowed to legally have a duopoly with WMUR & WCVB. The only other stipulation is the FCC doesn't allow common ownership of two of the four highest-rated stations in a single market. Looking at Wikipedia again it seems this DMA has always had 2 ABC affiliates, one in NH and one in MA with each covering their part of the DMA.