Next Generation Machines?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rljames, Jun 11, 2009.

1. rljames

rljames New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    I'm thinking of upgrading from a *very* old Sony box (circa 1996) and wondering when the "next" generation of receivers will hit the market? From what I seem to be reading about the current crop of boxes (H/HR 20,21,22,23 etc) there are LOTS of problems with none of them very good choices.

2. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I have six H/HR boxes here and not one of them has ever caused me any problems.

3. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

4. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Not sure what problems you are referring to but all 4 of my HRxx units my old R16 an 2 H21's (retired) are all flawless. I say why not upgrade now. I would recommend an HRxx unit. That way you are ready for the future from then on.

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Remember people tend to complain 20 times as much then to praise. ;)

6. rljames

rljames New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Thanks for the quick replies...

Also pains me to switch to the equipment lease, contract mode so I'd like to try and make sure I make my choices right.

What about the DTV/TIVO collaboration I've seen rumors of? Or the possibility of a Manufacturer change?

7. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
  8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As to leasing, there are advantages. If you own (and you have the choice), the initial cost is substantially higher. Also, if the unit fails after 90 days, you are entirely responsible for the cost of replacement (unless youhvae the protection plan), whereas with leased you only pay cost of shipping. Some people argue the advantage of being able to sell owned equipment later to recover some of the cost, but typically equipment that is more than 2 or 3 years old does not attract the best prices, and technology tends to obsolete fairly rapidly. One other arguement with regard to owning is not having a service committment, however the cost difference to own typically results in a cost advantage with leasing after about 7 months of service. That means if you decide after a year to cancel, your total cost would be less if leasing and paying the early termination fee than if owning and paying the higher up front cost to own.

I don't know when a Tivo based mpeg4 HD DVR will be available for DirecTV, nor what it will look like or do. I would not hold my breath for it at the moment. There are a few threads on the topic, do a search to find much more discussion. I do not expect a change to the current DirecTV model of self-branded units (which are actually produced by a variety of manufacturers), and there has been no rumor or information at all with regard to any other non DirecTV branded equipment (other than the possible Tivo unit).

9. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    I concur! Both of my HR20-700 have been rock solid for two years now!

:welcome_s rljames

10. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    +1 Also just about any problem I have had with my HRxx was my own fault!

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    rljames,

Both the HR2x and the H21/H23 platforms are much improved. You'll still find some negativity here regarding specific issues, but it's nothing like what you would have seen a couple of years back. I'm sure you'll find the HD alone well worth the upgrade, and if you've never used a DVR, I'd recommend that as another way to get a whole lot more out of your viewing experience.

12. benn5325

benn5325 AllStar

Mar 16, 2004
    Four HR2x units here, and no probs :D

13. jsmuga

jsmuga Godfather

Jan 3, 2008
    New Hope, PA
    I have 6 HR2x and have no issues.

14. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I can only say that in my experience problems with my HR20 have been few, far between and no worse than any other consumer technology.

"You don't get a second chance to make a first impression."

The HR20 had myriad issues when it came out and unfortunately that bad "first impression" has dogged the Plus HD DVR's ever since.

To DirecTV's credit they worked dilligently on correcting the problems and as the fixes were developed and tested they were pushed out to the National Release in a very timely fashion. Today the units are not only solid, but include a wealth of features that were not present when the first HR20s hit the market in August 2006.

I've had my HR20 since 2/7/2007 and it has been just fine for me. I would encourage you to take the plunge.

15. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Any time I've seen a brand new line of equipment come out (HR10-250 HD TiVo's, the HR20 initial version of the HD DVR's, etc.) there have been periods of time where there were a fair number of issues that had to be worked out.

Any "next generation" units that would be out soon would most likely go through the same "growing pains" and may be a disappointment right out of the box. I would expect the same out of the new version of the HD TiVo when that comes out based on my experience with the HR10-250 upon it's initial release.

The fact is, most of the bugs have already been worked out of the HR2x series of DVRs.

If you really want to own, get an HR21-Pro. Otherwise, lease one of the HR2x's. You could also wait for the new HD TiVo, but I would suspect there will be a "break-in" period associated with that box anyway.

16. paulsown

paulsown Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    One HR20-700, died after 2 years, Directv replaced with an HR21-200 because I was going to cancel (don't get me started on that ordeal, I was ready to cancel and now I wish I had). One R-15, died after 18 months (this week), I did not/will not replace it, just deactivated it. I currently have two HR21-200's and a SD receiver, and I am counting the days until my commitment is up so that I can cancel.

Read the complaints in this forum and on the internet in general. They will tell you the story about what many people are dealing with. Don't bite into that "people complain 20 times more than they praise so the complaints are not valid" argument. This is not just some individual, or handful of individuals, complaining THOUSANDS of times, there is a common theme.

Directv is having problems, and my impression is that they are trying to trick customers into staying with extended commitments rather than good service, equipment, and value.

17. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    We all have different experiences so I'm not discounting Paulsown's posting. I've not had any problems with DirecTV other than one not so bright CSR and in that case a supervisor called me back after reviewing the phone call to apologize for her behavior and attitude. My HR's have and are working fine. They're obviously both leased and I don't have any concerns about getting them replaced if they eventually fail or become obsolete.

18. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    There are very few % of people that actually have issues with Directv's current boxes.... In fact, based on knowledge of sony, I'd say a smaller % than people who have issues with sony products...

Tivo will likely be a lease program, and more expensive monthly than Directv units... (likely, the tivo software will update on directv units)

I would expect a new generation at some point, but understand, it will likely work on the exact same software platform.. There are features that are being put into these machines that hint at all units being able to talk to each other, like DIrectv2pc... Some issues are software related, some are hardware related, and some are setup related. At this point, many of the major issues, like blank recordings, for the very few that still have that issue, are likely a setup issue, and have nothing to do with the actual units and software..

I have 6 HDDVR's, and my folks have 4.. I haven't had an issue with any of them in over 18 months...