Nextel

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Roger, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 2, 2005 #1 of 11
    Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    What are there phones only made by Motorola? Do any of their phones offer full duplex in speakerphone mode? Nextel phones are big, clunky, pieces of crap. Why in the hell would Nextel and Moto give you a junk battery with a rating of 750
    Mah? My first phone 7 or 8 years ago had a better battery rating than that and it didn't have a color display.

Nextel's new phone the I275 is as big as a home telephone and comes with only 3 wallpaper designs and the piece of junk doesn't come with a calculator.

Then their network sucks to the point where you often get “digital feedback” of your own voice like first generation digital phones of years ago. Then you have to pay $5 for a generic and I mean generic alarm clock when that should be standard on all phones in this day of age.

I can’t wait until Verizon comes out with the LG VX 8100 so I can tell Nextel to stick it and get rid of the Motorola junk.

2. Jul 2, 2005 #2 of 11
    BurgEnder

BurgEnder AllStar

Aug 14, 2003
    My Moto i836 is hands-down the best mobile phone i've owned. It's no bigger than anything else out there either CDMA or GSM. Neither is my wife's i860. The reason that all Nextel phones are made by Motorola, except for the Blackberry, is because Moto doesn't license their iDEN technology to anyone else. The i275 is just like any other mass market handset-meant to get new customers into the door with a 1 or 2 year contract. After being a customer of Sprint(currently merging w/Nextel), Cingular, and Verizon, I can honestly say that Nextel treats me better as a customer. Also it helps that my Nextel phones actually work at my home, unlike my past service with Cingular and Verizon. As with anything else, your mileage may vary. Also, you may want to try Verizon's PTT service before you buy. Once you press the button, it takes anywhere between 10-20 seconds before connecting to your callee, not 2-5 seconds like you're used to. I've sampled it a few times as a relative of mine works for and was part of the beta test with Kyocera-one of Verizon's handset suppliers.

3. Jul 2, 2005 #3 of 11
    JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I've had good luck with my i710 and nothing but good service with Nextel. :shrug:

The i170 may be a bit larger than some other flip styles, but that's what I like about it. I can't stand those little tiny phones.

4. Jul 2, 2005 #4 of 11
    Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Actually, I'm surprised Roger, Nextel phones are all GPS enabled (even the one's they don't tell you about) and the government can track you wherever you go. With the Sprint/Nextel merger, expect Sprint to go GPS soon as well. Don't know about Cingular or Verizon, but since these are all multi-national companies in league with the Illumnati, I suspect they are working something up too.

Plus we are all aware of the governments attempt to induce brain tumors by increased cell phone use...

5. Jul 2, 2005 #5 of 11
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I had Nextel for MANY years, even before moving to Florida. It always worked great for me until the hurricanes. I suffered with unusable cell service (no call would last more than 2 minutes and I could rarely dial out) for about two months. I visited the AT&T wireless office and their sales slime assured me that their coverage was as good as Nextel's, so I became a proud new AT&T customer. As soon as I crossed the bridge to the barrier island that I live on service went away. The reason that I had Nextel was their coverage was the best I could find here. The next day I returned the phone to AT&T and visited Verizon. I transfered my old Nextel (then AT&T) number over to Verizon and gave it a shot. All has been well since. Verizon, at least here, is the only one that has the coverage that Nextel had before the hurricanes. Nearly one year later Nextel is still having problems and losing (not loosing) customers in the area every month.

6. Jul 2, 2005 #6 of 11
    lazaruspup

lazaruspup Godfather

Mar 18, 2005
    OK, a couple of correct points there and a couple of incorrect points. Motorola is the owner of the iDen technology used by Nextel. However, Motorola has tried unsuccessfully to sell or license the technology out and no one has been interested. When I worked for Nextel corporate, there were negotiations to license the platform to Sanyo, but that fell through. Nextel also offered to purchase the platform, but came under fire from SouthernLinc, Nextel Partners, and TelUS(who coincidentally is the Canadian arm of Verizon Wireless). All three of those carriers also use Moto iDen phones.

As for the latency on Verizon PTT. It is all but non-existent now. Since the re-launch, the service has been improved significantly. I use it on a daily basis and its about a 2-4 second latency between uses of the PTT button. So, no, there is not a huge lag problem like there used to be in the initial launch.

Nextel phones are bigger because they have to be. The i830 platform pushes the limits of what iDen can do in such a small package. You have to consider, the phones now include cellular service, two-way, off-network two way, and a GPS unit. Which, I might add is the only GPS unit in anything besides a PDA phone to provide full service GPS locator services.

All carriers are now GPS compliant. Every phone you can go out and buy/activate from a carrier must be AGPS complaint as of June 5, 2005.

7. Jul 2, 2005 #7 of 11
    RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    I, too, am a happy verizon customer... with a Motorola phone, of course.

The Portland Police use Nextel as their non-emergency "channel" and their link with the public without having to be patched in via dispatch. Nextel also serves as a backup in case disaster strikes their emergency equipment.

8. Jul 4, 2005 #8 of 11
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Happy Verizon customer who wishes he had his old Motorola back. This Kyocera that I had to get when I lost my Motorola (and had to buy the cheapest I could as I was out of full-time work) is *awful*.

9. Jul 5, 2005 #9 of 11
    SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    I'm a Verizon "Free-Up" (prepay) customer. $15/month, all unused carries over.

I tried to keep my old USWest blocky Nokia 'causee of the accessories, but couldn't because it's "locked" to them - even though I own it. Verizon dude was very cool - GAVE me a better, but compatible Nokia, and transferred my address book.

Happy camper here!

10. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002

That isa good deal. Here on the reservation Verizon Fee Up minutes expire after 30 days.

11. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Well - yeah - if you don't buy more time, expiration is:
    30 days for $15
    60 days for $30
    and so forth.

So, I auto-pay my $15 a month and rarely have to drop more in the bucket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.