NEXTGEN TV moving glacially

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by harsh, May 6, 2021.

1. May 6, 2021 #1 of 19
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Never mind that there are only a handful of capable TVs and tuners available.

The projections were for there to be 60 markets up and running by mid 2021 (revised from EOY 2020 in October of 2020). Today there are 25 with six about to launch. None of the truly major markets have yet to light up that was supposed to bring NEXTGEN TV to 70% per capita availability.

2. May 6, 2021 #2 of 19
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    say "ATSC 3.0" and you will get more hits

3. May 6, 2021 #3 of 19
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm not interested in hits. I'm primarily lamenting the fact that things are moving much too slowly for NEXTGEN TV to maintain excitement in a marketplace that has been watching a lot more TV than usual.

Those who don't understand the connection between ATSC 3.0 and NEXTGEN TV perhaps aren't all that interested anyway.

4. May 6, 2021 #4 of 19
    hancox

hancox Godfather

Jun 23, 2004
    Totally with you here. I'm between 2 markets, one of which is #1 DMA NY, and not a single channel done yet, and no news of any forthcoming. While we're young!

5. May 6, 2021 #5 of 19
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I had high hopes for ATSC 3.0 a few years ago, shortly after I cut the cord on cable/satellite and adopted OTA TV (in conjunction with streaming). But at this point, I'm skeptical that it will ever reach widespread-enough adoption for broadcasters to pull the plug on ATSC 1.0. I'd say it's more likely in the next few years that we see Disney, Comcast/NBCUniversal and Fox follow Paramount+/CBS's lead and start including live feeds of local ABC, NBC and Fox stations, respectively, in low-cost/free subscriptions to Hulu, Peacock and Tubi.

For folks mainly interested in ATSC 3.0 in order to see more stuff in 4K, HDR and/or Dolby Atmos, again, I expect to see that first emerge via those media giants' on-demand apps. How much longer until new ABC series are available next-day in 4K HDR in Hulu? Same with NBC shows in Peacock and CBS shows in Paramount+. I have to think that's going to happen at the same time, if not before, live feeds of those shows are made available to affiliates for use on their 3.0 stations.

6. May 6, 2021 #6 of 19
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If that's the case, NEXTGEN TV is doomed. The repack and the decision to make the ATSC 3.0 stations do the lighthousing pretty much precludes getting any of the exciting new technology out there to attract viewers to the new scheme. In my market, the NEXTGEN stations are running three networks suggesting to me that there will be no advantage until after DTV is gone and that's a recipe for failure.

3D had its glasses and NEXTGEN TV has been handed a skinny data pipe.

7. May 6, 2021 #7 of 19
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Yes, and then consider that the broadcasters don't even want/plan to use all of their 3.0 bandwidth for TV! They hope to monetize some of it through datacasting. From what I hear, they're really courting Detroit lately, hoping that automakers will include 3.0 tuners in their cars so that it can be used not only to deliver OTA TV (same as available to the general public), but also software/firmware updates, map data, music and even pre-loaded on-demand video content from media partners (sort of like the video options presented on airplane seatback screens).

8. May 7, 2021 #8 of 19
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    one is based on other , but have more in mind
    NextGen TV (ATSC 3.0)

9. May 7, 2021 #9 of 19
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Let there be no confusion (since you seem to fancy confusing things): NEXTGEN TV == ATSC 3.0.

As the article you quoted puts it:
    So kind of you to debunk the myths you seek to create.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    while ATSC 3.0 is OTA-centric

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    ATSC 3.0 and NEXTGEN TV are one and the same. No ifs, ands or buts.

The term "NEXTGEN TV" is registered to the Consumer Technology Association.
    The Internet-based aspects are all part of the standard. Upstream communications via the Internet is one of the oldest surviving elements of the standard.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    IP via OTA ... some of it used for TV content. Moving on.

13. renegade

renegade Cool Member

Jul 28, 2011
    It can take its sweet time ... or never happen, for all I care.

We should not have to purchase new equipment to watch TV ... again. We just went through all this a handful of years ago.

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That's what happens when the FCC gets a taste for the proceeds of bandwidth auctions (and arguably what happens when you demand that an agency funds itself). NEXTGEN TV is the way the industry came up with to give them even more bandwidth to sell and it wasn't practical to try to make it compatible with the DTV system.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The previous transition (from Analog to Digital over a decade ago) freed up some channels for use by cellphones and other wireless devices.
    Digital allowed the FCC to move channels around with the just ended channel repack. No new equipment needed for most viewers. Just rescan to find the channels.

NEXTGEN is driven by the stations. There is no FCC mandate to change to ATSC 3.0. There is a requirement to continue to support ATSC 1.0 for five years.

16. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    ATSC 3.0 aka NextGen is literally within the same spot ATSC 1.0 was at in the late 90s/early 2000's which is early adopter era and very few stations utilizing it.

17. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That's clearly NOT the case in several important ways:

DTV came with a government mandate at both the broadcast and the manufacturing level. NEXTGEN TV comes only with permission.

DTV brought a quantum leap in video and audio capabilities versus NTSC. NEXTGEN TV doesn't guarantee much improvement and thus far has been more of a setback for DTV than an advancement of the state-of-the-art.

The sandbox that DTV was introduced in allowed the stations to start up their DTV operations on otherwise unused frequencies while NEXTGEN TV must be introduced on existing frequencies.

18. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    I'm talking about where NextGen is in regards to how many markes/stations have it up and running along with hardware to access it.

19. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    NEXTGEN TV is considerably behind the downwardly revised roll-out schedule and there's virtually no truly affordable consumer hardware available. Turning up a station requires yet another repack of the participating local stations.

By this time in the previous transition, DTV had a handful of subsidized converter boxes available and turning up a station didn't require stations to huddle.

I don't see the parallels.