NFL bonus coverage overruns late game

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by the2130, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Nov 3, 2018 #1 of 12
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    When the NFL moved back the starting time of the late-afternoon games to 4:25PM, it was intended to minimize the chance of an early game on the same channel from overrunning the start of the late game. Now it seems like they overrun the start of the late game almost every week. If the early game is over in time, they go to bonus coverage of one of the other games and run it up to and sometimes past the start of the second game. If the bonus coverage ends in time, they go to a bunch of commercials and still join the late game in progress.

As a longtime Rams fan and Sunday Ticket subscriber, it hasn't been much of an issue for me until this year, because the Rams never showed up on the late afternoon telecasts here. It happened last week with the Packers-Rams game. The Redskins-Giants game was over in plenty of time, but they switched to the end of the Bucs-Bengals game. That game ended right around the starting time of the Rams game, but they went to a commercial break that lasted 3 or 4 minutes. By the time they joined the scheduled telecast, the Packers had already run a number of plays. I checked the Sunday Ticket channel and found it was unblocked until the local station joined, but by that time the game was already underway.

If I set one of my DVRs for the Sunday Ticket channel, will it record up to the point where they start blacking it out on that channel, or will the recording go away when the channel gets blacked out? It seems ridiculous to have to miss the start of the game when I am paying for Sunday Ticket. I face the same situation this week with the Falcons game on at 1:00PM and the Rams on the same local channel at 4:25.

2. Nov 3, 2018 #2 of 12
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    The only way to solve this is to literally live in the home DMA (Los Angeles) of the Rams. In the home market of the team, the affiliate will cut away from the early game and start the game on time. This ONLY happens in the markets with teams. A similar situation happens here with the Patriots. Most counties in VT only get WCAX from VT but my county also gets WBZ from Boston. Both air Patriots games. WBZ is the only way to be guaranteed to see the entire game. They will cut away and start the game on time, from the very beginning, where WCAX will do as you describe. The blackouts on the ST channels that you note are not always reliable. It will record until the blackout starts, but only if they properly activate it. I do check to see if they "get it right" when the situation arises, and it's probably a 50-50 shot. For me, I have Sunday Ticket to avoid the Patriots but friends and family outside this county have the same problem as you when they play at 4:25 and there is a 1:00 game before them. Most of them do not have Directv. I am a Colts fan, so most of my games are terrible and at 1:00, but not available here. I am loyal to Directv for this reason.

3. Nov 3, 2018 #3 of 12
    schmave1

schmave1 Active Member

May 20, 2016
    Reynoldsburg...
    Cutaways also happen in secondary markets as well, but only for road games.
    I remember a huge Colts-Bengals game in 2005. Here in Columbus as well in Dayton, we got the Browns game at 1 and it ended in plenty of time for us to get to the start of that Bengals game at 4:25 ... but then we got bonus coverage of Steelers-Ravens and it went to overtime, dragging well past 4:25. WKRC in Cincinnati went to the start of the game, but not even Dayton got that courtesy. Had the Bengals been on the road, they would have.
    Non-secondary markets can request to be taken to the start of their local team or a team of substantial interest (I've seen it happen in Houston for Cowboys games) as well.
    As for the recordings, they'll get everything up to the blackout and you'll also get a message saying something to the effect of "this entire program did not record."

4. Nov 3, 2018 #4 of 12
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    That's why I said the only the way to guarantee it is to actually live in the team's market...

5. Nov 3, 2018 #5 of 12
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    If I lived in the DMA of the Rams, I wouldn't need Sunday Ticket to watch the games. I pay good money to watch out-of-market games and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to see a game I'm paying for from the beginning. The NFL moved the starting time back to 4:25 to avoid this situation, but they are letting the networks get away with murder on the bonus coverage. The NFL could easily adjust the rules to stop this if they got enough complaints about it.

I'm going to try what schmave1 suggested and set one of my DVRs to record the Sunday Ticket channel this week. Or maybe I'll just go to my second DVR and watch to see if the channel is unblocked at game time.

6. Nov 3, 2018 #6 of 12
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    That's really all you can do. It's a terrible situation.

7. Nov 3, 2018 #7 of 12
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Sunday Ticket isn't really DVR friendly. Even outside of overruns, Fox and CBS can switch non-committed affiliates to different games during a blowout. So if there's a game you want to record in its entirety while you're away, it's safest to set recordings for both the Sunday ticket channel and your local CBS or Fox station.

8. Nov 3, 2018 #8 of 12
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Yes, I've seen the feed switched in the middle of a blowout game. It's really annoying, because I always DVR the games, even though I'm always at home during the games. I sometimes watch more than one game at a time, and the DVR makes it easy to switch back and forth without missing anything. Sunday Ticket really should be more DVR-friendly than it is.

I can set one of my DVRs for the Sunday Ticket channel, but I'm pretty sure a blackout will kill the recording, even if the channel is unblocked later in the broadcast. I guess I could set a manual recording for the Sunday Ticket channel. Wouldn't that allow the channel to record the time range I set, even if part of it is blacked out.?

9. Nov 5, 2018 #9 of 12
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Well, they went to bonus coverage of Tampa Bay-Carolina after the Falcons game yesterday, but it was a 14-point game and they switched back to the studio at about 4:12 PM and started the Rams-Saints game on tiime. I had my second DVR tuned to the Sunday Ticket channel in the event the local station joined the game late, but it didn't happen this time.

This Sunday's Rams game is on the local CBS channel at 4:25, but the program guide shows the Patriots-Titans game on the same channel at 1:00 PM. The Falcons game is on the Fox affiliate at 1:00 PM. It's my understanding that NFL rules don't permit a local telecast at 1:00 opposite the Falcons. Is that correct?

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    What do you mean? Do you think the Falcons have some sort of special deal with the NFL about 1:00 games that no other team has? That seems highly unlikely.

11. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    CBS has the doubleheader this weekend, with games at 1 and 4:25. The local Fox station has the Falcons game at 1. I'm pretty sure NFL rules prevent the CBS station in this market from showing the 1:00 game opposite the Falcons. It isn't specific to the Falcons. See the following:

A primer on the rules for broadcasting NFL games

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Ah OK. I'm in Iowa which isn't in any team's home market so I'm not sure how they determine whether Fox or CBS gets the show the late game. Seems pretty random. All I know is that I have to extend recordings of the Simpsons when Fox has the late game, just in case :)