NFL Local Blackouts-A Distinct Possibilty

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by sdk009, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1 of 66
    sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-08-31-nfl-tickets_N.htm

The attached article from Tuesday's USA Today discusses how the economy has hurt ticket sales in certain NFL cities. It also has a team-by-team summary as to the potential for local blackouts this season.

What's missing from the article is any questioning of the archaic NFL's policy, or questions to the league to see if they are considering lifting the policy due to the recession. Some columnists in the Bay Area have already spoken out against the league's policy this summer and have suggested the league change its policy. With unemployment over 10% in California, it will be a tough fall for the Raiders and Chargers to sell out all of their games. The league could go a long way in developing some beneficial PR by changing its policy.

2. Sep 1, 2009 #2 of 66
    rayzor1211

rayzor1211 Cool Member

Sep 25, 2007
    It's not the economy. When the economy was good the chargers didn't sell out. As for the Raiders, put a good product on the field and they will sell out. I blame Al. USC does not have trouble selling out and they're in a larger stadium.

3. Sep 1, 2009 #3 of 66
    saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    How the hell can the Chargers not sell out? They are so fun to watch, they are playoff bound again and SD is a large city... California people suck as football fans...

4. Sep 1, 2009 #4 of 66
    Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    What sucks is that the NFL decided that those of us in the Los Angeles DMA are now in San Diego's home market. We get those games blacked out, even though we live anywhere from 40 to 350 miles from San Diego. We already kicked 2 teams to the curb and had 10+ years of no blackouts and plenty of games. Now we are stuck with this crap. They need to do away with the blackout rule completely. Lower the prices of your parking, beer, food and seats, lower the ridiculous amounts of money you pay these primadonna's and maybe I will consider coming to see your product. But the way things are now, why would I put up with all of that crap when I can sit in comfort and watch the game in HD at home?

5. Sep 1, 2009 #5 of 66
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    CA people have other options. There are so many more things to do on a Sunday afternoon in SD than in Pittsburgh, especially once the weather turns.

6. Sep 1, 2009 #6 of 66
    dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Blackouts are moronic. I can't believe they sell more than a handful of extra tickets at most because of the policy. It's certainly not enough of an increase to make up for the loss of opportunity to showcase their product on TV. I'm amazed the NFL hasn't gotten rid of the policy, especially considering how much the networks are paying for the rights fees. I'm sure CBS is going to love having to show the Raiders in San Diego instead of the Chargers.

7. Sep 1, 2009 #7 of 66
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    So the NFL should change it's policy rather then the teams make it more cost effective to go to a game?

They have a huge oppertunity here to bring in the next generation by offering great family deals that would include concension food comp tickets and discounted seating.

I think the NFL needs to put the pressure on the owners to change their prices to get people into the games.

8. Sep 1, 2009 #8 of 66
    dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Actually they cant show any game on the channel in that timeslot....thats when they run a movie or whatever.

9. Sep 1, 2009 #9 of 66
    carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Not true. Chargers have sold out every game for the past 3 seasons. I know as I live here and am a season ticket holder. Not exactly comparable to a Green Bay, DC, Pittsburgh or Dallas I know.

Granted, some of the sellouts came through a company buying up the remaining seats. :D But they were sellouts.

This year...well...economy has hit SD hard. Nowhere near as hard as Detroit or Jacksonville though.

I think the home opener will sell out. After that :confused:

10. Lodi25

Lodi25 Legend

Jun 23, 2009
    You could always "MOVE" to another location to avoid NFL blackouts.

11. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    FTA -

"• Carolina Panthers: Blackouts unlikely."

Well, that's all I need to read :D

12. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    If I recall correctly, the blackout rules were part of the NFL/AFL merger. Congress needed to pass an anti-trust exemption for the expanded league, and I think the blackout rules were actually part of that law.

Now, I was 9 when this all happened, so I might be wrong.

13. LCDSpazz

LCDSpazz AllStar

Dec 31, 2008
    It could be worse. The current policy dates back to 1973. Before 1973, all NFL games were blacked out in their home markets, regardless of whether or not they sold out.

14. tbpb3

tbpb3 Legend

Dec 9, 2006
    I guess were too busy inventing computers,the internet,making your tv shows and movies. Growing your food etc. To go watch a lousy football team. Thats why there is no L.A> NFL team , No Body Cares! I guess it gets you out of your trailer! Last year So.Cal. had 10 million baseball fans! How did Florida do?

15. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Really? They don't just show another game? I've never lived anywhere that had blackouts (NY area, then Chicago, now Denver) so I've never seen them. This makes it even harder to believe the networks put up with this bs for the billion dollars they pay.

16. thomas_d92

thomas_d92 AllStar

Nov 29, 2004
    Why should cities that support their team have to prop up those that do not. The economy is bad everywhere and not a good excuse. If Buffalo,Green Bay,, and other small market teams can support a team with sellouts surely San Diego can.I am a Eagles fan and in Phil. you have to get on a waiting list for tickets. Buy the way in Phil. almost every baseball game is a sellout.I may go to the Eagles /Chargers game since tickets will be available.

17. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Every year here in Denver the seats that are not already sold to season ticket holders go on sale on a Saturday morning in July. They sell out all 8 games in 10 seconds.

18. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    This is just more lazy reporting. There are teams that have always sold out and teams that are not that popular. And a few cities, Jacksonville chief among them, that wanted to be "big time" and got an NFL team they simply cannot support. But its so easy to cite the "bad economy" and then write an article on just about anything. The NFL has had blackouts forever.

A well written article would look at ticket sales this year, three years ago, and maybe back during the Carter years, and so on. It would also look at baseball, NASCAR, and, most importantly college football.

The NFL made a mistake going into Jacksonville. It is the least "Florida" of all of the Florida cities (less retirees and move ins, more blue of a blue collar Southern port city of people that have always lived there, less prosperous) and it is the 47th market, very small. Smaller than 18 markets that do not have the NFL. With no legit claim to any subsidary markets. And, most importantly, it is college country. SEC.

Los Angeles Jaguars? San Antonio Jaguars? Portland Jaguars? Las Vegas Jaguars?

19. mgoblue99

mgoblue99 Legend

Dec 11, 2007
    FYI, for those of you with Sunday Ticket, the Red Zone channel shows portions of blacked out games. I'm in Detroit, and saw many (of the Lions opponents') live scoring drives on the Red Zone channel last year, despite the games being blacked out in my area.

20. sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    A little history for those of you who are too young to remember. Up until 1973 all NFL home games were blacked out in the host cities' markets. It actually took an act of Congress to get this rule changed. Many Washington lawmakers couldn't get to the games in DC on Sundays. So they cajoled the NFL and passed legislation lifting the the blackouts. As a compromise, they did allow the NFL to blackout home games if they were not sold out within 72 hours of kickoffs. Then commissioner, Pete Rozelle's biggest fear was that he didn't want the the games to become just a studio performance with nobody in the seats because they were all at home watching the games. So here we are in 2009 and the antiquated policy still exists.

dccowboy, I would like to amend your statement. All markets, regardless if the home game is blacked out or not, gets at least one early game and one late game. That market will not get a double-header game, though.