NFL Network/FOX Thursday night blackouts?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by epokopac, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Oct 3, 2019 #1 of 15
    epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
  2. Oct 3, 2019 #2 of 15
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Im a DirecTV subscriber but I feel for every provider out there getting squeezed by these companies always trying to jack up the rates. I hope that Dish is able to make a deal that makes sense for both sides. Sometimes it appears the only way to handle these big players is to tell them if you want to much money try getting no money and see how you like that. Hope for a quick resolution but support your provider trying to keep prices low.

Spoonman27 likes this.
  3. Oct 3, 2019 #3 of 15
    tenpins

tenpins AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Colorado
    similar story in Denver with a twist. Altitude Sports is in dispute with the 3 main players (Comcast, Dish & DIRECTV). First game is tonight, being able to view the Avalanche game tonight doubtful but there's a chance.

4. Oct 3, 2019 #4 of 15
    shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    You gotta be kidding me!!!! Do we not already pay for NFL network access? Fox has got some balls to do this. I can still watch it off air but still, rediculous

5. Oct 3, 2019 #5 of 15
    shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
  6. Oct 3, 2019 #6 of 15
    WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    Doesn't NFL Network, in it's contract, say they will broadcast X number of games - and that is how they set the rates they charge? 98% of the time there is nothing to watch on NFL network, so I do not understand the rates they can charge.

This whole thing is a mess.

7. Oct 4, 2019 #7 of 15
    sswheeler

sswheeler Legend

Aug 27, 2008
    I don't know if they have a certain way to blackout this channel to specific customers, or I should say the area where the local channels are in dispute, but the game was on for me. I do not live in the area for a local Fox blackout.

8. Oct 4, 2019 #8 of 15
    SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Yeah. The NFL is the 900 pound gorilla of sports, but really the NFLN is a low value channel after the movement of TNF to other outlets.

What do you get?

- Pre-season games. Enough said.

- Thursday night games not on Fox, or NBC, for weeks 2 & 3. This year, Tampa Bay @ Carolina and Tennessee @ Jacksonville. Hardly must see TV.

- Sunday morning games from London. Carolina/Tampa Bay & Houston/Jacksonville. Which is while most people, especially in the west, are asleep. Again, not unmissable.

- A triple header of TBA games, selected to be games which will NOT involve playoff implications, on the Saturday before Christmas.

- Reruns of old games.

- NFL news. Which, the NFL is well covered on every general sports channel (ESPN, FS1, CBSSN, NBCSN, Stadium) and on radio and on-line. In this sense the NFLN news programming is way less important that news on other channels, like NHLN or MLBN, and especially the Tennis or Golf channels, which cover sports the mainstream channels do not.

It is just not worth that much.

9. Oct 4, 2019 #9 of 15
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Remember, any games on local TV can be viewed on mobile devices using the NFL app and Yahoo Sports app.

10. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    This does not help Dish/Sling customers tho if the local station airing these games also happens to be the Fox O&O and they can't receive them with an antenna. Also not sure how Yahoo Sports can air these NFL Network/Fox simulcast games since Amazon/Twitch have the streaming rights this year.

Yeah but @SamC summed it up well. The question is not the total amount of games the NFL Network airs but the number of games that are exclusive to the NFL Network. Essentially with the Fox deal NFLN is airing the bare minimum number of games needed to fulfill this obligation which is 7. They are doing this by airing 2 NFL International Series games, Week 2 & 3 and the triple header on Saturday December 21.

Fox must not have been happy to have paid lots of money for these games just for Dish to use NFLN against them in a carriage dispute. Something tells me the longer Dish's dispute goes on the more TNF games will be Fox only until this is resolved. For now the Giants @ Patriots is scheduled for next week on NFLN & Fox but let's see if this will actually happen.

11. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Games that are on local TV in your area can also be viewed on the NFL and Yahoo apps. I haven't tested that on the Thursday night games, but I'll check it during next Thursday's game. It's my understanding it applies to all local telecasts. Amazon has national streaming rights for TNF.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  12. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    I would be interested to know if the games are available via the app. I'll try the fox sports app this weekend using my dish credentials. Right now im using my Cox credentials an can watch them no problem. I suspect though that using my Dish credentials is not going to work.

THe problem im having w/ streaming is the CBS games. When I try to watch them on the NFL app, it takes me to CBS All access an ask's me to login, which of course I cant since I don't have a CBS all access account (which to me sounds like its NOT free). And the Yahoo sports app is not available on the Roku or Fire stick, an on my Android TV box, it is there but it fails to display any video, just gives me an error.

I'll still watch the Fox games off-air as I can watch either Fox5 DC or Fox-45 Baltimore.

13. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    No authentication is needed for the NFL app to watch the games that are on local TV. Keep in mind that it only works on mobile devices, not Rokus or other streaming devices. The only way I could get it to run on my TV was to mirror my phone or tablet to the TV, and even then it didn't run full-screen. If you watch any of the ads the NFL is running, they refer to it as "phone football". It has its limitations, but at least you can watch the games even if they are blacked out due to a fee fight.

14. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I didn't see this specifically mentioned, but I read a report that NFL Network contract with Dish requires that Dish customers be shown the same programming as all other carriers, therefore if FOX blacks out TNF for Dish, NFL Network must black it out for everyone.

15. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I checked last night and I was able to view the Thursday night game on my phone with no authentication. I've in the last week or two that it only works on my phone now, not my tablet, but at least the games can be viewed if they are on local TV.

I also noticed last night that the Thursday night game wasn't available to me on Amazon Prime. I couldn't even pull it up in a search, let alone watch the game. Anyone know why it would be blacked out for me if I'm a Prime subscriber?