1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL network redzone channel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by PA GIANTS FAN, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Aug 15, 2009 #1 of 207
    PA GIANTS FAN

PA GIANTS FAN AllStar

Mar 28, 2009
    Frackville PA
    NFL Kicks Off Promotion For RedZone Channel
    Spots, Touting New Service, Will Run On NFL Network Games, NFL.com
    Mike Reynolds -- Multichannel News, 8/14/2009 6:30:00 PM EDT

The National Football League was expected to kick off the promotion for its NFL RedZone channel during an Aug. 1 doubleheader on NFL Network.

Commercials were slated to debut on NFL Network's national coverage of the St. Louis Rams-New York Jets game at 7 p.m. (ET) and the Denver Broncos-San Francisco 49ers contest at 10 p.m.

NFL RedZone channel
    The service, scheduled to be launched Sept. 13, will provide fans with a look at the most exciting moments on Sundays, showcasing touchdowns, highlights and live look-ins in high-definition.

The service, hosted by NFL Network reporter Scott Hanson, will switch viewers from game to game, as teams drive inside the 20-yard line, the so-called red zone, giving the audience a chance to see every important play.

Hanson will host NFL RedZone, produced and edited by NFL Network, from a newly constructed, state-of-the-art studio at its Los Angeles headquarters.

NFL RedZone is a new and different service than the Red Zone Channel offered by DirecTV to subscribers to the Sunday Ticket out-of-market package.

NFL RedZone is being made available to cable, telco, satellite and other distributors that have carriage agreements with NFL Network, according to NFL Network president and CEO Steve Bornstein.

NFL Network secured the rights to offer the new service as part of the league's $4 billion extension with DirecTV to continue to carry the full Sunday Ticket package exclusively during the 2011 through 2014 seasons.

Creative will sport copy reading in part: "NFL RedZone, a new channel of NFL Network. Every touchdown, every game, live on HD, Sunday afternoons this fall."

Promos for the service will run on NFL Network, which is presenting all 65 preseason games this season in HD, as well on NFL.com. Other NFL carriers are expected to carry the messaging as well.

2. Aug 15, 2009 #2 of 207
    B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    So this is a channel that's only going to be active on Sundays for the six hours of game play? (I'm assuming this channel wouldn't be live during Sunday, Monday and Thursday night games.) Wouldn't it make more sense to simply swap this program for the Sunday Blitz satellite radio simulcast on NFL Network? Either way, I think it's a nice alternative for those that don't wish to subscribe to DirecTV or DirecTV subscribers that don't want to purchase Sunday Ticket.

The bigger question is a) will this be available on DirecTV, and b) would it be enough for some people to be content with their local affiliate broadcasts and drop Sunday Ticket subscriptions?

3. Aug 15, 2009 #3 of 207
    dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    This link is on the nfl.com site.
    It lets u put in your email address & looks like they will send u more details when they get them.

http://redzonetv.nfl.com/

4. Aug 15, 2009 #4 of 207
    Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008
    If they did that, then people (including those on DirecTV) would get it for free, so that ain't happening.

It's a distinct channel from NFLN and DTV RZC so I assume this channel will only be available to cable cos and DISH.

The question is whether DTV will ever allow subscribers to subscribe to their own RZC (w/o ST) for a cheaper price (such as the current Superfan price).

5. Aug 15, 2009 #5 of 207
    Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008
    Just saw this:

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/63222

That's a great deal.

6. Aug 15, 2009 #6 of 207
    dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    That article says no host yet but the other article said Scott Hanson will host the new channel.

7. Aug 15, 2009 #7 of 207
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    will it be in HD?
    Will you need sports pack to get it?
    Will get it free with ST + SF?

8. Aug 15, 2009 #8 of 207
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    REDZONE CHANNEL

Is part of NFL-SuperFAN (SO) if you have that you will get it.

The channel runs from Kickoff on Sunday until the last 4pm regular season game ends.

It shows all the games Hightlights and Live play (regaurdless) of Blackout condition restrictions. IN HD- With NO commercials-

Channel is dark all other times.

Once you see it, youwill never beable to watch Footbal another way :D

9. Aug 15, 2009 #9 of 207
    dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ

You arent reading the above articles....there is a new version of the redzone channel as well the regular version.

10. Aug 15, 2009 #10 of 207
    hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    This NEW Red Zone Channel will only be available to Cable providers if they want to pick it up. This is not something that will be coming to DIRECTV. DIRECTV has it's own exclusive version of Red Zone Channel that is available only through NFL Sunday Ticket with SuperFan.

11. Aug 15, 2009 #11 of 207
    sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    What I have read is D* has no plans to add the channel because they have their own "Redzone" channel already. The only provider currently going with it is Comcast. A lot of the complaints (and rightly so) are that it's only a 6 hr a channel once a week but they want $.25 a sub for it. That's a lot for a channel that will only be on for 6 hrs I'd think. Maybe down the line it gets added into D* sports pack, might give a reason for more people to order it w/out ESPNU in it????

12. Aug 16, 2009 #12 of 207
    bradfjoh

bradfjoh Legend

Jul 17, 2007
    how can we find out for sure if this will be an offering on DirecTV?

13. Aug 16, 2009 #13 of 207
    joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Why would they carry it? It would draw some subs away from Sunday Ticket.

14. Aug 16, 2009 #14 of 207
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm betting it won't be nearly as good as ST's version. It'll probably be just like ESPN News with only NFL info/stats scrolling and limited live look-ins. We'll see.

15. Aug 16, 2009 #15 of 207
    bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    As long as I'm given the option to remove the stats from the screen and they take the approach that the focus is on the games being played, not the stats being rolled up, I'd be fine with that. I had NFL-ST last year and about 2 weeks in realized RZC in HD was all I needed, the rest seemed like wasted real estate.

16. Aug 16, 2009 #16 of 207
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    It has to be different because cable companies would be upset at the constant plugs for what channels the game is on that he gives. Plus the DirecTV logos and remotes all over the studio.

17. Aug 16, 2009 #17 of 207
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It's geared towards fantasy footballers, so the stats probably won't be removable.

18. Aug 16, 2009 #18 of 207
    Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    So from what I am reading, we will still be getting the RedZone channel hosted by Andrew Siciliano? I hope so, as Andrew is good and knowledgeable but has a little bit of fun with things (Like the time he called a LenDale White touchdown ending with the line "He must have smelled food on the other side".).

I would have to guess that we will still get just the DirecTV version. No other provider would want the DirecTV version of the channel, as it is always telling people what DirecTV channel number these games are on.

19. Aug 16, 2009 #19 of 207
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
  20. Aug 16, 2009 #20 of 207
    renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    Why doesn't NFL Network simply make this a seven-hour program on its regular channel? It doesn't show anything right now during Sunday afternoon games anyway. Why does it need to be an additional channel?

(EDIT: Now I see the same question being asked in the link Larry provided above.)

I've never cared much for the ST RedZone channel myself. I'd rather watch Game Mix and tune into the channels and situations that interest me.