NFL on NBC - Bears vs Eagles PQ

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by I WANT MORE, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Jan 7, 2019 #1 of 26
    I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Did anyone else notice that the PQ for the Bears vs Eagles game on NBC was particularly horrible yesterday?
    It looked extremely blurry and not sharp at all to me.
    I did see a few mentions on Twitter.
    On the other hand, the games on ABC, CBS and FOX looked great.
    WNBC.

2. Jan 7, 2019 #2 of 26
    AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Game looked fantastic on KARE 11 over the air.

3. Jan 7, 2019 #3 of 26
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Both the NBC and Fox game this weekend were sub-par. I have multiple affiliates of each (NBC: WBTS, WNBC, WPTZ. FOX: WFFF, WFXT) and it was across the board. CBS and ESPN were fine, but the ABC feed of the ESPN game was sub-par on WCVB, WMUR, and WVNY.

4. Jan 7, 2019 #4 of 26
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Once again, it all depends on how many subchannels your affiliate has and whether they change the bandwidth allocation during stuff like games or not. Don't blame NBC or Directv, they have no control over this, it is 100% the responsibility of your local affiliate(s)

5. Jan 7, 2019 #5 of 26
    I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    I completely agree about the sub channels and it being dependent upon the station, however I felt this game in particular looked off.
    Normally my NBC station looks pretty good. That was not the case yesterday.

6. Jan 7, 2019 #6 of 26
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I watched all the games. All the close shots were superb as usual. On both 1080i and 720p channels the long shots were as awful as they always are. I know it can be better.

Rich

mjwagner likes this.
  7. Jan 7, 2019 #7 of 26
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    I have noticed this phenomenon as well watching the NFL where the close-ups are razor sharp and the long shots are fuzzy. It appears to be an issue with either the affiliate station or the source. It’s not the “service” as I have switched between 2 different stream services (PSVue and FitzyTV/Locast) and OTA and it was exactly the same. I’m guessing that you and I are different affiliates which leads me to conclude that the problem is not the affiliate but at the source.

Just for clarity, I have never noticed this phenomenon in any other programming other than live sports (NFL in my case because it’s the only live sport, or live tv at all really, that I watch).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  8. Jan 7, 2019 #8 of 26
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The problem is that these days almost everyone's local channels have a bunch of subchannels. The few people who remain lucky enough to have a local affiliate with no subchannels would be getting FAR better quality. I'm sure it seems like a problem with "everyone" because local broadcasters keep loading up more subchannels - one of my locals now has added a third subchannel, and I'm sure some people have it worse than that.

9. Jan 7, 2019 #9 of 26
    richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Looking good on DirecTV in Tallahassee

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Never noticed this until we switched to HD years ago. Then it became apparent that we would always see this. Nothing has changed. The closeups are always superb and then we go to a long shot of the field and what I see then is the opposite of what I see on closeups. I started a thread a few weeks ago about a game on the ST. I could clearly read the names on the jerseys of the players no matter if it was a closeup or a long shot. Obviously I should have taken a shot of that but it was late and I didn't. But I saw it and what I wrote was the truth.

I'm not sure what year we transitioned to HD from SD, probably around 2006. I can't imagine how many football games and Yankees games I've seen over those years beginning then but that game where I could easily read the names on the jerseys was the only game I've been able to do that.

If it's possible to see one game with that resolution I think we should see every game in that resolution. Or else we are once again being screwed.

Rich

11. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I notice this, too. I question if every game even has the wide shots on a HD camera. This is different, the NBC and Fox games were bad on the close-ups, too. And the graphics were bad. The ESPN/ABC game was much much much better across the board (PQ wise), and the ESPN feed was better than the ABC feeds.

And I really don't think this is sub-channel related. Why would it come and go game to game?

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I watched that entire game and all I saw was what I always see. Clean, clear pictures on closeups and pretty bad pictures on long shots. The long shots bother me. I have no idea why there's such a difference in the pictures.

Rich

13. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    My "best" guess:

When it happens on Fox, it's probably because they're still using standard-def cameras for those long shots!

I seem to recall that way back when digital TV was starting to become a reality I'd read and/or heard that Fox had invested heavily in widescreen 480p equipment for digital broadcast, as they were not really planning that much on actual HD.

Even if my guess is totally wrong, some of those shots obviously look standard-def (like they have for the past 15 or more years).

This in MLB, too.

For what it's worth, I didn't notice anything more than a couple pixelated blips on the NBC game (KNBC), but I was only watching toward the end. Overall picture looked good.

(Also for whatever it's worth, I think I've been noticing WNBC picture quality isn't quite as good as it used to be since before spring of last year or so).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 4:36 PM
  14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Glad to see someone else noticed that. Thought I was seeing things. The worst channel for sports is Fox.

Rich

15. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I had more or less confirmed the loss of PQ of WNBC viewing content going back to early 2016 last month while "watching-down" HDDs before dropping SSD into the dock of the old HR.

Startled by the clarity of those old recordings, I was.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It was better, huh? Not my imagination. I haven't recorded anything that I haven't immediately deleted upon watching it for a couple years, I have no way of doing what you did. That Cowboys game I saw weeks ago was so much better than anything I've seen this year. I could read the names on the uniforms most of the time. Read them clearly, I mean. I can rarely read them during most games unless it's a closeup. I had begun to think this was always the case. That Cowboys game and what you've seen gives me pause. The Cowboys game was on the ST but it had the Fox logo. IIRC.

Rich

17. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    WNBC has gone downhill since they started channel sharing with Telemundo 47, it's been a while now.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't use D* much. Can you actually see the difference on regular programming, not just sports? What puzzles me about this is the picture I see when CBS has a football game on. Looks as bad as NBC. 'Sup with that? Same problems, damn near perfect PQ on closeups-blurry PQ on long shots.

Rich

19. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    There is a small difference overall. Similar to what someone said earlier, older recordings from WNBC are noticeably crisper and richer. It's probably good quality Dish HD PQ. The other NBC affiliates I receive are also dual HD OTA, so I don't have a comparison. WBTS Boston and WNEU NH both have NBC and Telemundo HD on their signals and WPTZ Plattsburgh NY NBC and WNNE Montpelier VT CW share an RF signal. It's a plague. And it effects more than just OTA since some providers get their signals OTA. Is it the end of the world? No. Is it annoying and noticeable? Only to those who notice it. My parents are always like "as long as it's in color, it doesn't matter if it's HD or whatever" so many just don't care. CBS is hit or miss with games. From what I have seen, CBS stations seem to be better OTA with sharing and such, but that doesn't mean some affiliates don't do it. I think they have more cameras that are actually HD for the wide shots but not all so some games look like other channels. NBC has one game most of the time. There's no excuse for them. I wish they'd simulcast it on NBCSN to get it out of the hands of locals but that will never happen.

Rich likes this.
  20. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    The KC/Indy game on NBC did not have the same issues that I mentioned in my original post.
    I did see the macro blocking on close up motion shots however. (Lack of bandwidth - bit starved).
    The Dal/LA game on Fox was absolutely pristine.
    Best PQ I've seen for an NFL game in a long time.