NFL Preseason on NFL network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Mauiguy, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Aug 9, 2019 #1 of 63
    Mauiguy

Mauiguy Cool Member

Jul 13, 2007
    yesterday the live game listed for Hawaii was the giants game. it was blacked out here. There was a different game on the nexstar channel but it is preseason and black out shoud not apply. Today the Steelers game is blacked out. There are no competing game on local networks. I called DTV. They claim that while I do have Sunday ticket it does not include preseason games. How in the heck can one get things fixed when nobody knows anything?

2. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    DirecTV just started doing NFL Network alternative feeds this year. the games blacked out in your area are replaced by a different game on the alternative channel of 212-1.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    As far as I know ST does not include preseason games

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Correct -Never has and Never will - That's why it states in the pro-mo AD all the regular Season Action --Order it and you can cancel anytime before the Regular season STARTS -- Once it "KICKS" off --NO refunds

5. Mauiguy

Mauiguy Cool Member

Jul 13, 2007
    I never said that the Sunday ticket included the preseason games.

I should have been more clear. We are talking the NFL channel 212. It is acknowledged that pre-season is not included in any game package as they are supposed to be broadcast on the NFL network to anyone who has that channel in his package

All of the games are supposed to be free (preseason) and not blacked out unless they are being broadcast on a local channel. The only thing required to see those preseason games is having the NFL channel included in your package.

BUt the idiots at AT&T looked and saw that i am paying for the Sunday ticket and tried to convince me that since the NFL pre-season games are not included in the Sunday Ticket, I should not be able to view them.

I later called back again and got an intelligent lady on the phone who has English as a first language, and while she could not help me she connected me with another little lady who actually knows about these things. She agreed with me, and while she could not solve the problem she did give me a discount.

The problem, is that if AT&T cannot figure out the black out rules for live pre-season games, then i strongly suspect that they will be unable to run the Sunday ticket. Then of course if you find after one or two games that the Sunday ticket is messed up you cannot cancel.

6. mickat

mickat New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Mike here in Boca Raton, last nite tried to watch TB at Pitt on 212 it was blackout. Tried game on 212-1 it also blackout. I called D* told them both the guide and the red button scoreguide said I was to get the game on 212, TB At Pitt. She tells me I am blackout because I live with in TB area ! I live over 100 miles from TB. I tell her Ok why can't I get the game on 212-1 then. She was clueless, had to hang up before I lost it and said something I unkind.

7. BLMN

BLMN Mentor

Sep 6, 2011
    Southern NH
    I think the least they could do is at least open up the preseason games on the mobile app for ST subscribers, they usually only do this on week 4 of preseason to test the streaming. I think ST is getting so watered down that its hard to keep paying 300+ when most of the good games are free to watch anyways.

8. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Was the game being carried on one of your local stations?

9. mickat

mickat New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    No. I tried to tell her that it wasn't on local, we get Miami games locally. We have never been blacked out for TB game, also if it was blacked out in our area should we have gotten the other game on 212-1 then?

10. Mauiguy

Mauiguy Cool Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Your ordeal was just like mine. They have no reason for the blackout and because they are stupid, they just make stuff up to get you off of the telephone line. Clearly some moron has decided to select some zip codes for blackouts and nobody can figure out how to fix it. Frankly I think that they just do not care.

AngryManMLS likes this.
  11. Khaetra

Khaetra Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Florida
    That happened to me too. The TB game was local for me, but I should have received the Vikings game on 212-1. It was black screen all night :/.

12. Mauiguy

Mauiguy Cool Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Today they blacked out the Steelers Game in Hawaii, while the titans game is being broadcast on a nexstar channel. No reason for the black out under old rules. I called Directv, and was told that it is the NFL calling the shots on blackout and the mentioned that the NFL says we can go to NFL.com and pay for Game Pass to see the "out of market" games....Only a hundred dollars per year just for the preseason and of course to stream non live games for the next year.

Sounds like an NFL scam if what the rep said was true. Pretty Pathetic.

You can call the following and see if they say the same thing: 844-822-3352

13. TV_Guy

TV_Guy New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I believe they substituted the Titans game due to the extended rain and lightning delay in Pittsburgh. The new start time was 8:30 EDT. When I was watching the Rams game from Honolulu they mentioned on NFL Network that the Pittsburgh game had just gone final. If they had stayed with the Pittsburgh game they would have missed the 1st half of the Rams game.

14. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    With the 7:30pm start time for the Pittsburgh game, I was afraid it would overrun the start of the Rams game, but fortunately they switched to the Rams at 10.. I checked the alternate channel, which the channel guide showed Patriots-Titans, but I got a blackout message. It didn't conflict with any in-market games, since the Falcons played on Thursday. Does anyone know under what circumstances a game would NOT be blacked out on the alternate channel?

15. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The way it is SUPPOSED to work is similar to the alt. channel situation on MLBN or NHLN. Most of the country should get the 212 game, but if it is local to you, you should get the other game on 212-1. Unlike the other sports, the NFL has no hard and fast map, each team can sell its games to whoever will bite, so a lot of the teams with "national" (AKA bandwagon) fanbases will show up on some Fox or CW or worse UHFer far from home.

The NFL does sell an internet, not TV, just internet, package of the pre-season games similar to NFLST.

As to the static the OP got. That is the DirecTV MO, and has been from day one. They have a "Big Book Of Why The Customer Is Always Wrong". Any call about a sports blackout and the CSR will argue you that WHATEVER you are getting is correct. Other issues, such as tech problems, get esculated to a human with specific knowledge, but not sports blackouts.

16. Mauiguy

Mauiguy Cool Member

Jul 13, 2007

If you had the Steelers game in Honolulu you did better than Maui as we did not have it from the start. The Titans game was scheduled to be broadcast in Hawaii anyway. Just sayin.

I also called again last week during that Steelers game and was told that the NFL was making the blackout policy and that AT&T had nothing to do with it. They then said that I could go to the NFL game pass and subscribe to it if i wanted to watch my preseason game live.

If , what the rep said was true, then it sounds like the NFL has changed their rules in order to force people to go to game pass.

In a way it makes sense that the NFL made the decision, in order to squeeze more money out of the consumer, but as i recall the original idea was to get people to watch the NFL channel, and then subscribe to the Sunday Ticket... Remember "see all of the preseason games live or rebroadcast"?. Well on Maui they seem to be making it all about rebroadcast.......

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  17. mjd180

mjd180 Cool Member

Dec 21, 2010
    I don’t think it has much to do with Game Pass. That thing is worthless for American football fans. You get to see a total of zero live games...

18. Mauiguy

Mauiguy Cool Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Actually they claim to stream preseason games live, while during the regular season they only stream the games after they have been aired.

19. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    They were selling a package of preseason games a couple of years ago, but now you have to subscribe to the $99 GamePass package to stream the preseason out-of-market games live. I spend enough to get NFLST that I'm not about to pay another $99 for preseason. I just watch the delayed telecasts if the games I want to see aren't carried live.

B. Shoe and AngryManMLS like this.
  20. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Ah, the good old days of Preseason Live. Just $25 for live streaming access to all NFL preseason games. The current GamePass package does include live preseason games, along with the All-22 replay and some other original content. But for $100, it’s a hard sell.

Back to the OP’s original topic. I sympathize with the issue. It’s a PITA, for sure. But if you’re expecting any low level CSR to help solve a sports blackout issue, for any of these telecom companies, it’s not likely. I hope the regular season finds less blackout issues for you.