1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTv ***

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sc4hawx1967, Sep 7, 2013.

1. sc4hawx1967

sc4hawx1967 New Member

Sep 7, 2013
    California
    Hello. I'm new to this forum, and not the most tech savvy person out there, so please bare with me.

Due to line-of-site issues at my apartment complex I was unable to get DirecTv satellite coverage, and I had to terminate a 10 year relationship. However, I still wanted the NFL Sunday Ticket for NFL games from DirecTv, and I was thrilled that DirecTv offers it to people, such as myself with line-of-site issues, on their desk tops, smart phones, tablets, etc. So, I ponied up my money to DirecTv, and I got my self set up with the NFL Sunday Ticket. I can log in and everything is fine. The issue is when I watch the DirecTv Sunday Ticket promo video after about a minute or so a pop-up message appears saying this message, and, by the way, this is word for word verbatim:

"ISSUE CONNECTING TO ALERT SYSTEM, PLEASE MODIFY ANTI VIRUS / FIREWALL SETTINGS TO ACCEPT CONNECTIONS."

Now, after clicking off the warning box the promo video continues beautifully. Question: Do I really need to do something here to enjoy watching an NFL without problems, or should this be addressed?

I use Internet Explorer (not sure what version, but I just purchased a new Samsung desktop a month ago), I have Windows 8 and I use Kaspersky Internet Security (recommended from Best Buy salesperson) for my computer security.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Don't think you have to worry about that. In fact, you may see similar warnings regarding changes to your AV/Firewall settings when you install software in the future.

1 person likes this.
  3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That is a red flag...

4. sc4hawx1967

sc4hawx1967 New Member

Sep 7, 2013
    California
    Thank you C-bad Bolts fan. I have a "feeling" that my issue may be much ado about nothing. *praying* Lol.
    Best of luck to your team this year. I'm a diehard Seahawks fan, by the way.

peds48, I'm not sure how to take your response. Are you be facetious or is this an issue I should be concerned about?

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would take any "recommendation" from a Best Buy sales rep with a grain of salt (or a ton for that matter!)

6. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    While I'd normally agree with peds48 that using a Best Buy employee's recommendation is a terrible idea, in this case - it isn't a bad one. Kaspersky is regularly rated as one of the top Antivirus programs in terms of Detection Rates (nearly 100%).

http://av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_fd_mar2012_intl_en.pdf
    http://www.digitallanding.com/best-antivirus/

Just a few examples of comparisons for Antivirus software which ranks Kaspersky towards the top.

That said - I would avoid using Internet Explorer for anything you're doing with browsing the Web. Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome are far superior web browsers and will give you a better experience. MSIE is a lot better than it used to be - but it still leaves a lot to be desired compared to Firefox or Chrome. Both Firefox and Chrome actually offer lots of Plugins/Extensions to make your browsing experience better - for example Adblock Plus will get rid of annoying advertisements on web pages, and Flashblock (for Firefox - Chrome has similar ones) will prevent memory / CPU hogging flash videos from automatically playing (allowing you to "click to play").

In terms of the error message - see if you have any problems, if you don't have any problems I wouldn't worry about it. If you do - see if Kaspersky has a "learning mode" where you can tell Kaspersky to essentially allow any connections through your firewall and learn them so it won't block them in the future while you're watching Sunday Ticket.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This is why I am glad I have a Mac. I just use Gatekeeper