NFL Sunday Ticket online without DirecTV sub

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bonscott87, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Jun 2, 2010 #1 of 97
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Satracer,

Any word for 2010 on the Sunday Ticket online only option for those without DirecTV?

Is is still looking to be offered nationwide this year?
    If so, what is the pricing?
    And will there be a free trial week 1 so we can test it out to see how it works on our connection and the quality?

For those that don't know, this is the Sunday Ticket "Supercast" online product that was tested in NYC last year for those that didn't have DirecTV (think apartments) and was planned to go nationwide in 2010.

2. Jun 3, 2010 #2 of 97
    dirwuf

dirwuf Cool Member

Feb 12, 2010
    If it does get rolled out nationally, I'm assuming it will only be for those who can't get DIRECTV...

3. Jun 3, 2010 #3 of 97
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    While I understand the want on DirecTV's part to get money from any available source...I hope this is limited to ONLY those who cannot received service from DirecTV and not those who simply choose not to.

4. Jun 3, 2010 #4 of 97
    bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Why, what do you care?

And secondly, there is no way they could ever check to make sure you can't get DirecTV. They aren't going to roll a truck to every ST online only customer to check line of site and stuff.

And really, still today the amount of people that would not get DirecTV if they could to watch the games on a laptop or computer instead is very, very small. Those like me with HTPC's is very, very small and it will stay a niche market for some time to come. So I highly doubt DirecTV would worry about it taking away from regular subs. The amount of extra money gained from apartment dwellers would far outweigh what they might lose by a few that could get DirecTV but choose not to. If it was a concern they would have never started this in the first place.

5. Jun 3, 2010 #5 of 97
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Either subscribe to DirecTV or don't. (not you specifically, but people in general) If you want the goodies...come on board.

Good point. They shouldn't do this at all then. I would have welcomed it for those who actually cannot receive service where they live, but since we cannot determine that...no dice. I don't want any HD-Lite'ers getting a taste. :D

6. Jun 3, 2010 #6 of 97
    dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Thats what i thought the article last year said....that it will only be if u could not get directv.

7. Jun 3, 2010 #7 of 97
    Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008
    That's what I wonder too. I couldn't care less. I think it's a shame that ST isn't available to all anyhow.

8. Jun 3, 2010 #8 of 97
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Some competition might drive the price down.

9. Jun 3, 2010 #9 of 97
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Why is it a shame that it isn't available to everyone? It is available to all who subscribe to the provider who paid for the rights.

10. Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008
    Thank you.

Plus for millions, there are limitations to what provider one can sign up with. Many only have one choice. So it's a shame that ST is limited to one provider.

11. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Well, no other provider bid for it initially. That's their own fault.

12. Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008
    I'm not questioning that.

I'm simply saying that it's a shame that an excellent product like ST isn't available across multiple providers. I don't see any need to be territorial about it and prefer it to be limited to my provider, particularly since it would likely be cheaper for everyone if more than one provider had it.

13. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    DirecTV is the one selling the online only option for those without DirecTV. So DirecTV gets the money either way.

Like I said, hardly nobody is going to actually drop DirecTV and then still pay $300 or whatnot for Sunday Ticket on their computer. DirecTV isn't going to lose many full time subs for this and they may sell a few tens of thousands of online only subs. Win-win for DirecTV and they obviously already made their decision with their trial last year.

This thread isn't about arguing if they should do it or not, they already have and are. This thread is about trying to get more info about it.

14. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Hey I understand that folks aren't going to start dropping DirecTV altogether to go for the online Sunday Ticket option. I have no problem with those who cannot subscribe to DirecTV (due to housing and location restrictions) having this option. I just don't want to leave it as an option for those who choose to subscribe to another provider...such as Dish. :D Those people who have chosen not to subscribe to DirecTV shouldn't get any of the goodies. Again, those folks who have no choice are exempt from this. Just my opinion.

15. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I wouldn't be suprised if we see something like $200 for Supercast alone, or $100 for people who also subscribe to Sunday Ticket (they hinted at something like this in the survey that was posted on here a while back).

16. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    We have been thru this a billion times (well not really a billion but it sure feels like it) the reason why the NFL wants/likes a cap on the # of ST subs....without going into it (again) it has to do with the networks fear of losing the local ad ratings thus revenue.

If everyone had ST then nobody is watching the local commercials blah blah blah.

But (to quote dr.evil) i dont want to get into that old chestnut (again).

17. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Directv already said it will be $49.95 for supercast.

for directv people.

18. Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008
    I still don't know why it matters to you whether a DISH person could subscribe to ST, so long as you can on DirecTV. It doesn't effect your ability to enjoy ST and, if anything, it would lower your cost (and yes, I understand the point above why the NFL has limited it to one carrier, but then again, they made the ultimate commercial-killer, RZC, available to everyone).

19. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The test market last season was for Manhattan, NY only. Obviously some buildings might have LOS issues or the cost to run the coax from the 50th floor to the 2nd floor is too $$$ for some people. Here is a link with the 2009 season offer, cost was $350.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/nflstonline/overview

20. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Looks like you can order it for the upcoming season...it gives an "Order Now" option but you can't be listed as a current sub.