1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL Sunday Ticket Screw Up - IND @ PHI in Orlando market

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jtrain73, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 #1 of 13
    jtrain73

jtrain73 AllStar

Sep 25, 2006
    I am in the Orlando market, and was ready to watch my Eagles vs. Colts at 4:15pm. Sunday Ticket channel was blacked out, no problem, must be on local CBS (WKMG 6) right? Wrong. Jets @ Lions went long and then into Overtime. The Sunday Ticket channel remained blacked out during the entire OT. It is my understanding that in this circumstance, DirecTV is supposed to un-blackout the ST channel - is that correct? The Jets/Lions game ended quickly, but after ended, WKMG went to commercial and then joined the Eagles game in progress at 8:07 left in the first quarter. I missed two Eagles scoring drives.

For the cost of NFL Sunday Ticket, this is unacceptable. The local channel blackout rule is amazing stupid and creates nothing but problems and unhappy fans and customers (like me). I don't have a positive view of the NFL or DirecTV right now and am very annoyed.

2. Nov 7, 2010 #2 of 13
    gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    Interesting that they maintained the blackout in Orlando, because they lifted it in NY.

3. Nov 7, 2010 #3 of 13
    Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    You missed 7 minutes of game time. You should definitely sue the NFL, DirecTV, and your local CBS affiliate for the obvious emotional distress.

4. Nov 7, 2010 #4 of 13
    shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    With all due respect, this is a problem worth noting. For many of us who get NFLST to follow one team, in particular, this is very annoying. And I haven't heard of this happening in quite some time. Disappointing to know Directv let this one get by them.

5. Nov 8, 2010 #5 of 13
    briang5000

briang5000 DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Something similar happened with the same scenario in Cleveland a couple years ago. I wanted to watch a particular 4pm game but the 1pm game was running long. At least I had the Red Zone channel in order to see any scoring. If you really want to see the plays you missed, try and record one of the Short Cut replays.

6. Nov 8, 2010 #6 of 13
    bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    You should call and ask for a week's worth of credit (~$20). You will probably get it. It is DirecTV's responsibility to manage blackout situations like this. If they don't have the right systems in place to manage that, it is not your fault.

7. Nov 8, 2010 #7 of 13
    pfueri

pfueri Godfather

Jan 22, 2007
    It's people like you (shaqdan) that let the big guy like the NFL and CBS oh and Directv do what they want ! Like black you out when you pay BIG MONEY for the NFL package. So if nobody complains they will screw up again .So give (jtrain73) a break !

8. Nov 8, 2010 #8 of 13
    cnmurray8

cnmurray8 Legend

Jun 19, 2008
    This same problem happened in Boston too.

9. Nov 8, 2010 #9 of 13
    AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    It also happened here in Atlanta. In our case here, the 1 pm CBS game was not shown locally since the Falcons had a home game which was on Fox and the exclusivity window.

10. jm_sullivan99

jm_sullivan99 New Member

Nov 8, 2010
    I'm on the phone with directv about this now(I live in Philadelphia and wanted to watch the end of the Jets/Lions which got replaced locally in favor of the Eagles)... here's their idea:

Your local channel purchases the broadcast rights to a particular game. That game will now be blacked out on Sunday Ticket because you can see it locally(so far I agree with this).

If that local channel chooses not to use its right to broadcast, you're screwed(as in no game for you).

IMO, if the local channel chooses not to exercise its right, then it should lose it for the duration that it chooses not to exercise it.

The customer service rep did mention that if you call them about it when it happens they might be able to fix it(after being on hold for a while I'm sure).

btw, it is like pulling teeth to get the customer service reps off of their talking points on blackouts and realize that this is an unusual scenario. Then, once you get them to realize it, they still aren't on your side and want to know why you didn't call to tell them.

I suggested it might be better for them to monitor and track this situation as the provider. They disagreed and I canceled Sunday Ticket. At no time were any credits offered.

11. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You still have to pay for ST even though you "canceled." You can't cancel once the season starts.

Plus, all you had to do to see the end was tune to any CBS ST channel...they all went to DET/NYJ when theirs completed. There were literally 4-5 channels showing Det/NYJ simultaneously.

12. lman12

lman12 AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Sounds like a mistake by Directv. I am a hard core Colts fan living in NJ. So congrats to the Iggles for the win. I also have Sunday Ticket and the Jets-Lions game was on my local CBS and the Colts-Eagles games was the 2nd half of the doubleheader so I should have been blacked out on the NFL Sunday Ticket channel - Channel 713. Guess what? I was not blacked out on Sunday Ticket on 713 until 4:00 minutes remained in the 2nd quarter.

Directv can be so screwy at times when it come to Sports blackouts. Go Colts.

13. jm_sullivan99

jm_sullivan99 New Member

Nov 8, 2010
    all of which were blacked out equally... they may not be smart, but they are efficient.