1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL Sunday Ticket Superfan SCAM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by progfx, Jul 14, 2009.

1. progfx

progfx New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't ALL of the NFL games now broadcast in HD on Network TV? Especially since the recent digital broadcast mandate by the FCC eliminating all analog broadcasts. DTV must have to purposely degrade the signal to broadcast in SD quality if we don't pay the fee.

If so, then why are we being gouged for $99 just to receive the games in HD? Just another example of corporate greed. The NFL package is already price $100 higher than any of the other sports packages for far fewer games.

People need to band together and tell them no, we're not paying it! If enough people complain they will drop the charge.

2. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    they should make hd free and SF for game mix and the other stuff. Red zone should be on it's own as well.

Any ST needs to be in sd for all the non hd boxes out there.

3. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Well To Me The Red Zone Channel and the Game Mix Channels are Non Essential. I wish they would just focus on delivering us the Games each on their own seperate channel in the best quality HD they can instead of wasting the bandwidth for the Red Zone Channel and the Game Mix. That is just my opinion. I'm going to watch games and want the Full Screen.

4. prushing

prushing Active Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Problem is there are people who don't care about the actual games and only about their fantasy team. This is all geared towards them. I need to call in the next few days to start the process to get it free once again as I will not pay 2 HD fees.

5. tbirds118

tbirds118 Mentor

May 28, 2009
    Maybe I'm mis-understanding you but digital tv doesn't necessarily mean high definition.

6. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    I think this is the biggest misunderstanding of the transition. Then folks think they have HD and wonder what all the fuss is about - it looks the same as before.

7. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I'm still waiting to hear about the "scam." :)

8. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    There is only one signal being transmitted by each station. In most cases the major networks are transmitting an HD signal. Some minor networks are transmitting SD only. As noted, all signals are digital, most HD, some SD, and the FCC doesn't care which or what mix (in the case of sub-channels) a station is transmitting.

Paying for HD in the NFL-ST is an entirely different matter. When D* raised the prices quickly and consistently over several years, I finally dropped it. I have had NFL-ST since the first year it was offered on C band (BUD), but I dropped it last year...and guess what....I didn't miss it. If D* had kept the prices within reason, I would most likely, never had discovered how little it meant to me.

I get plenty of football on regular network, nfl-network and espn...all in HD.

9. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Me too. They offer a product for a price. The consumer chooses to buy it or not. I decided not to, after having it since day one on C band. No hard feelings, no scam, it just wasn't worth the price any longer (dropped it last year). I don't miss it.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The fact that a local station originates the game in HD has VERY LITTLE to do with DirecTV's cost to broadcast those games nationwide.

The vast majority of DirecTV's current subscribers do NOT have HD service, and only a tiny percentage have ONLY HD/MPEG4 receivers. Thus, DirecTV has to broadcast all of the games in SD every Sunday, using up a lot of transponder space. Then, it has to broadcast all of those games again in HD, using even more transponders. And in fact, more transponders are used for HD than for SD. Those are very real costs.

If it isn't worth it to you, then don't pay. NFL-ST is an OPTIONAL, PREMIUM package. Superfan is a premium on top of that. It's hardly new to charge more for a premium service with a smaller audience.

You can't buy a 2009 Ferarri for the same price as a 2009 Camry, even though they are both "just cars". A Ferarri is a premium product marketed to a much smaller segment of the population than a Camry. Ferarri makes a much higher profit per car than Toyota does (they have to; they sell far fewer cars per year). So, does that make Ferarri "full of corporate greed"? Maybe, but no more than Toyota or Ford or GM or any other car company.

Companies exist to make a profit, not to provide free services for your entertainment.

Capitalism 101.

11. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    I know, I was seriously waiting to read about how people call his/her house to get the NFLST at a cheaper price if only they paid with their CC over the phone. Sorry but your issue is not a scam to me. :)

12. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    I have subscribed to NFL ST every year since it has been offered. I have also subscribed to SF every year since it has been offered. I finally cancelled both this year. The price / benefit ratio for the combined NFL ST and SF has just gotten out of whack for me. It is the same with many of my friends and neighbors. As someone in this thread has mentioned, capitalism 101 is at work here. Unfortunately for DirecTV I think the yearly price increases, and the fact that they are still charging extra for HD which I agree is completely ridiculous anymore, has finally caught up with them.

JMHO

13. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    I only get the NFL Superfan just because of the HD...to me it's worth it because you get a lot more with it.

14. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Its also more for $$ for less games because NFL regular season games actually mean something as opposed to mlb, nba, nhl where they play a million games & if u lose today big woop u just play tomorrow again.

15. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    I pay for "HD Access" already. Which according to the D* website:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=P4670012

So, I think that we should get ST in HD with no additional cost. Let SF cover the additional mix channels/Internet access/cell phone access/etc. services.

Isn't HD "included" with EI and other sports packages?

If D* had to incur additional cost to acquire the games in HD, that would be different. However, as others keep pointing out, ALL regular season and playoff NFL games are originally produced in HD.

16. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    NFL ST has to be up linked to direct. for other sports most of it is just remaps.

17. Kansas Zephyr

Jun 29, 2007
    It is up-linked in native HD...every NFL game "leaves the truck" at the venue in HD. D* must down-convert it for the SD customer base.

Just like any other sports package they carry in HD. No different.

18. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    All DirecTV has to sell is its service, and they charge seperately for different parts of it.

I would certainly like to get HD ST without paying for Superfan, too, but what you are saying is like requiring TV stations to give away commercial time because they are broadcasting anyway and it doesn't cost more to show ads than shows, or newspapers should give away ad space because they are printing the pages anyway and it costs no more to print an ad than a story.

Or maybe I should get DirecTV service free since they are transmitting anyway and it doesn't cost them any extra for me to pick it up. (I'll vote for that!)

When a company sells a service, they don't necessarily charge based on cost.

19. Kansas Zephyr

Jun 29, 2007
    No, I'm not saying that, at all. Please, get real.

I do pay for HD Access, and according to D* it covers the HD "versions" of channels I subscribe to (including all NFL games on the NFL Network)....and I subscribe to ST.

Again, EI has HD at no additional cost, for those with HD Access. Why? If they did charge for HD, at least they would have a more consistent (easier to defend) fee structure.

20. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    No scam........No one is forcing you to purchase their services.