1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL Ticket

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jenronf, Mar 23, 2009.

1. jenronf

jenronf New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Not sure if this news article from the Wall Street Journal was previously addressed but if not, here is the link for those who are interested.

There are dark clouds over the economy, but they're not obscuring the rosy picture at DirecTV, the nation's largest satellite-TV provider.

DirecTV, based in El Segundo, Calif., is adding subscribers at a healthy clip, and growing earnings in part because of its NFL Sunday Ticket, which broadcasts out-of-market National Football League games. The Ticket, which costs around $300 a year, is must-see programming for consumers such as Heather Polinsky in Alma, Mich., who watches it to track her beloved Pittsburgh Steelers. Declares Ms. Polinsky, an assistant professor and audio-unit manager at the School of Broadcast & Cinematic Arts: "I won't give it up."

The satellite broadcaster is using its premier sports package and the loyalty of its high-end subscribers to shield it from the worst of today's recession. The company added 301,000 new subscribers in the fourth quarter, its best showing since 2005, while reducing customer turnover to a record-low 1.42%. This year, subscribers easily could top 18 million.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123767127285204963.html

2. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Interesting read.

Only question on the next ST contract will be what the economic forecast looks like at the actual time of signing the deal and whether the next contract covers 5 years or more than 5.

Cablers have no shot at getting this package at all.

3. bosco10021

bosco10021 Icon

Apr 16, 2006
    It sure seems that way, especially when Directv has right of first refusal on the contract renewal.

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    It also states that "The company added 301,000 new subscribers in the fourth quarter" Most of those where do to FIOS which Verizon is a D* reseller, I'm not sure if the FISO folks can get NFLST or not? Anyone know? Not that I really care just interested.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Just found my answer:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=154865