1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NH man, pregnant wife get speeding ticket on way to hospital

Discussion in 'The OT' started by James Long, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jan 7, 2011 #1 of 182
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    LONDONDERRY, N.H. -- Little Kyle Coughlin couldn’t wait to be born, and now his quick arrival has his parents fighting a speeding ticket.

... Angela delivered a healthy baby boy and John got clocked going 102 miles per hour in a 55-mph zone, with a fine to be determined.

“There’s no lesson to be learned because we’d do the exact same thing again,” said Angela.

source

102 in a 55? Ludicrous speed. He's fortunate that their trip to the hospital wasn't delayed waiting for someone to extricate them from a wrecked car.

2. Jan 7, 2011 #2 of 182
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Isn't that Reckless driving? That usually kicks in around 20 over. Dude should lose his license.

3. Jan 7, 2011 #3 of 182
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Yes and normally I would agree. However, there are times when I can understand it (not saying it's an excuse) and this very well sounds like it could be one of them. My guess is he will get himself a stern lecture from the judge and that will be about it.

4. Jan 7, 2011 #4 of 182
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    102 MPH? I'd accept 5 or 10 over the limit ... and 20 over is reckless. But 47 MPH over posted speed? He needs more than a lecture.

Perhaps he can plead temporary insanity?

5. Jan 7, 2011 #5 of 182
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I can see the parent going slightly over the speed limit because of the situation. But going 102mph in a posted 55mph zone is reckless endangerment and should be delt with harsh'ly! I hope the judge takes the wife's statement of "There's no lesson to be learned because we'd do the exact same thing again" into consideration when he administers sentencing. Talk about needing a attitude adjustment. :rolleyes:

6. Jan 7, 2011 #6 of 182
    smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I'm on the side of the driver here, he was in fear for his wife, that above all else was the forefront of his mind. We shall see how this turns out. :)

7. Jan 7, 2011 #7 of 182
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Ummm... You call for an ambulance if you are in that much fear for your wife's safety. Endangering her even more by running at that speed does not help and now you've just endangered everyone else on the road.

And here in Northern VA, the judges are all pretty much under agreement that jail time is required for any speed over 90 MPH. Usually the guideline they follow is 1 day for every MPH over although they have also been more severe.

- Merg

8. Jan 7, 2011 #8 of 182
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    And what about the safety of others? While everyone's entitled to their opinion I have to wonder about your power of logic and reasoning. :rolleyes:

9. Jan 7, 2011 #9 of 182
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Wow. I had a similar situation but I NEVER considered doing 100 MPH in a 55 zone when my wife was just about to have the baby in the car. I did 60 the whole way and made it with 10 minutes to spare...

10. Jan 7, 2011 #10 of 182
    hancox

hancox Godfather

Jun 23, 2004
    Wow - can't believe the reaction here. Did anyone notice the time on the ticket?

3:30AM.

I'm sure all 2 cars this guy passed are really ticked off.

This guy was all set for a normal trip to the hospital, on his way, and his wife told him the baby was coming.....NOW. How would they meet an ambulance? Where?

Maybe I'm sympathetic as my wife is in her 3rd trimester, but still.

11. Jan 7, 2011 #11 of 182
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    In times of panic, not everyone uses logic or proper reasoning. Some people do not handle a crisis situations well. When Mrs. Fluffybear went into pre-mature labor (100 days early) with our first child and yes, I broke several laws doing it. My only thought was getting her to the hospital as quick as I could.

Given 40+ miles over is extensive but I still think this was not an everyday occurrence and do not believe he should be punished nearly anywhere as severe as the guy doing a 102 in order to get to liquor store because he just ran out of Budweiser or the person who is doing a 102 because they wanted that 10 extra minutes of sleep.

12. Jan 7, 2011 #12 of 182
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I drove through Londonderry at 117 MPH back in 1973, when I wanted to see how fast my Olds 98 would go, but that was on the divided highway that passes through it. I don't remember if that was before or after the speed limit was dropped from 70 to 55 MPH. My previous chariot, an Olds F85, only got up to 102.

There is (or was) some old guy living in Londonderry that my parents knew some years ago who collected antique cars and drove them around town without having registered them.

13. Jan 7, 2011 #13 of 182
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Again my friend, what about the safety of others? There's a 911 number for a reason. The wife was merly giving birth, not having a near death situation. And with her stating that they would do it again do you really want someone like that operating a motor vehicle?

14. Jan 7, 2011 #14 of 182
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Unless you've been to some of the New England states you can't really appreciate the folks that live there. Maine, NH and Vermont do things differently than the rest of us do.

That said, I'd question the sanity of going that fast on those roads, unless he was on an interstate. Those winding, narrow roads are not well suited for that kind of speed. He easily could have lost control and killed everyone in the car.

Rich

15. Jan 7, 2011 #15 of 182
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A good time to be watching out for drunks and tired people. Of course, if he hit a drunk it would have been the drunk's fault ... but at that speed it is hard do react to unexpected changes around you and hard for others to react to you.

So, you look down the road and see headlights ... but the car is half a mile away. How long until the car gets to your position? 30 seconds or 15? It makes a difference.

The ticket says 293 northbound ... so not the city streets, but it isn't supposed to be the Manchester speedway.

16. Jan 7, 2011 #16 of 182
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I live a few miles from where this happened and I drive that stretch of I-93 frequently.

#1 - on today's roads, when deserted, 102MPH, in today's cars isn't what you'd expect. On that same stretch of road, doing 90MPH in my old '76 Pontiac Venture around 1980 was UNTHINKABLE. Last week, in my 2002 Camry, going down a highway much like I-93 on a long-straight stretch I was SHOCKED to look at my speedometer and see I was WELL over 90MPH. The ride in my Camry at 90MPH was far smoother than a 60MPH ride in my Ventura.

#2 - When time is of the essence, you don't want to wait for an ambulance. The response times in the Nashua area aren't that great and that's indicative of what they are statewide. It's easy to see how the guy can think "I can go as fast as an ambulance, and safer since I'm in a car rather than a top-heavy van - and if I start now, I have a head-start on when an ambulance WOULD get started".

I agree - ticket him. But 3:30AM generally means NOBODY on the road. ...other than cops.

17. Jan 7, 2011 #17 of 182
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    My wife is from the midwest and had never experienced I-75 or I-95 in the south. On our first trip to Atlanta down I-75, I warned her that once we passed Chattanooga, if we weren't doing 90+, we were going to get run over. She did not believe me.

I think her fingernail holes are still in parts of that car. :) Drove 95-100 all the way into Atlanta and were still getting passed on occaison. Same goes for I-95 in SC, GA and FL.

Speed is relative. I would have done the same thing.

18. Jan 7, 2011 #18 of 182
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Last summer we lost a state trooper because of a motorist speeding on a state road with a posted 55mph speed limit in the early hours of the morning. He was driving a late model vehicle. It was determined that he lost control of his vehicle because of his speed and improper tire inflation causing him to hit the trooper's vehicle.The trooper who lost her life is survived by her husband, three year old daughter, parents and siblings. Time of day and other motorist's occupation are a poor excuse for speeding. :rolleyes:

19. Jan 7, 2011 #19 of 182
    la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    this happened to my co-worker and he was in his ford escape with the wife going 80 in a 35 cops got him at the hospital and wrote him a tix. he went to traffic court saw the judge and while the judge understood why he did it and it was an emergancy the judge said it was wreckless and you put everyone on the road in danger and you could tell he wanted to give the driver 5 pts which is max but he wound up gaving 2pts and a 500 dollar fine.

20. Jan 7, 2011 #20 of 182
    smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I know, and I respect your opinion on this. I don't know the "rules" and you are a lot closer to it than I am. I trust that the "rule" of miles over posted speed has been analyzed sufficiently to not just come to a conclusion that a particular speed reflects endangerment upon others without jurisprudence. I would hope that each situation is not as black and white, that each situation calls for some form of investigation to find all the facts, to include the entire situation. Based on what I saw, I assumed a lot of things. Those assumptions could very well be wrong. I assume if I am in that situation, I'd be in a hurry and not too concerned at looking at my speedometer, but, more clearly looking at the road and making certain I was in control to get her to the hospital.

Hopefully, guidelines are not indicative of hard and fast rules. Each situation requires its due course, I would hope. :)

I don't know, I made several assumptions in coming to my opinion. One was he didn't consider them, but was focused on one thing.

While I feel a little attacked by your put on my powers of logic and reasoning, and the eyes rolling icon, I would add that I think that there is a lot of grey (gray) area here that has to be explored before coming to any conclusions. In my response to The Merg, I hope it is clear, that a trigger item, like the fact that the individual was going 102 mph, does not mean anyone else was in danger. The entire situation needs to be analyzed and clearly understood. Perhaps that will put your put on my powers of logic in reasoning into a better place. :) BTW, everyone of us is fallible. I'm willing to change to be better, are you? Please don't judge me.