1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NHL Blackouts in my area

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Codeman00, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1 of 13
    Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Can someone please make some sense of this and explain to me what is going on here?

I moved to Nashville, TN and quickly became a Nashville Predators fan (NHL). I go to a lot of the games but its too expensive to go to all of them. I have Dish Network and get about every channel including the sports pack. The Preds game is always shown on the guide but I never can access the game because its not available in my area.

However, if I had expanded cable, I could get the game on channel 28 of cable (Fox Sports South). But I don't get expanded cable, I only get basic cable for about $14 a month. I called the cable company and asked how much it would cost to get the Fox Sports channel and they said I would have to upgrade to expanded which would up my bill to $44 a month. Another $30+ a month so I can get one more channel !

I pay for the sports pack on Dish. I live in Nashville. Can someone explain to me why if the channel is available to me on cable for a price, that its not available for any price on Dish? After reading some threads, I might not even be guaranteed to get my games even if I had NHL Center Ice.

I don't understand.

2. Dec 9, 2008 #2 of 13
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Are you trying to get the game on the ALT channel?

3. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    It seems Fox Sports recently cut up Fox Sports South into FS-Tenn, FS-Carolinas and SportSouth. They did it back on Nov 1, so you're kind of stuck right now.

4. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I'm trying to get the game on ANY Dish channel without having to add on to my basic cable. And like rasputin said...it does show a Fox Sports TN logo during the games. Maybe before the split, I would have received the games but now I don't (I didn't live here then, so I'm not sure.

From reading the article, it does look like I'm stuck until Dish reacts and picks up the new FS networks. Thanks for the link.

5. marty43

marty43 AllStar

Sep 30, 2005
    Thursday's game with Columbus shows as being on ALT 444 try that channel and see if it is available to you.

6. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I'll try it but I'm not holding my breath. It always says that its not available in my area and I still don't know why. It's my local game.

7. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    You can check it now. Just move the guide to the game and press INFO. If you don't get a blackout symbol, it is available.

8. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I wasn't home tonight to try it out....I guess I will have to wait until next time...maybe on Saturday. I'll let you know.

9. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Alright...I tried again tonight and once again, my local game is not available in my area. This is ridiculous.

Does anyone out there get their local NHL game through one of the Dish Fox Sports Regional channels?

10. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I spent 40 minutes on the phone with an incompetent customer service guy from India...he didn't have an answer to why I don't get the game. He transferred me to a supervisor and we got disconnected.

I called back and while I was on hold, they said go to the dish website and type in your zip code to see what sports are available in your area. So I went to the site http://www.dishnetwork.com/sports/wheresmygame/Default.aspx

And then I got this information. YES!! My game is on ALT 446. Apparently I get the games after all! Thanks incompetent Dish Customer Service guy.

Sort by Event Name: Sort by Channel: Sort by Time:
    Event Description Channel Date/Time (Eastern)
    Predators at Coyotes: Subject to programmer's schedule change. 446: SPORTS ALTERNATE 2 12/18/2008 9:00 PM
    NHL Hockey: Scheduled: Nashville Predators at Phoenix Coyotes. 420: FOX SPORTS SOUTH 12/19/2008 3:00 AM
    Islanders at Predators: Subject to programmer's schedule change. 445: SPORTS ALTERNATE 1 12/20/2008 8:00 PM
    NHL Hockey: Scheduled: New York Islanders at Nashville Predators. 413: MSGPLUS 12/21/2008 1:00 AM

11. saltrek

saltrek Godfather

Oct 22, 2005
    Yes - when one Regional Sports Network gets broken up into smaller pieces, like Fox Sports South was recently, Dish will not provide each new network on a separate channel - but will provide the game content on an alternate channel. This is what mary43 and JohnH were trying to tell you - to check the ALT chennels.

You should be able to see most games on either Fox Sports South (420) or one of the ALT channels. You will not be able to see games on MSGPLUS (413) as that is a RSN for the New York area.

12. marty43

marty43 AllStar

Sep 30, 2005
    It may not be on same ALT channel next time, you have to loook thru all ALT's

13. epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    Additional Multi Sports Pack info:

"In order for a consumer to be eligible for a particular team's games, his zip code (for example, mine is 30043) must fall within that team's territory defined by the leagues based upon zip code. If a consumer's zip code falls outside of the team's territory, he will be blacked out even with the purchase of the Multi-Sports package."