NHL Center Ice on DISH

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by statsman, Aug 19, 2018.

1. statsman

statsman Mentor

Mar 27, 2011
    Had DISH about 14 years ago but switched to DirecTV... Now I thinking of coming back. Trouble is, the thing that drove me from DISH was sports blackouts (specifically NHL games). DISH always pointed the finger at blackout rules, but DirecTV always showed the games.

I live in upstate NY, south of Albany, and with DirecTV I have enjoyed seeing all the NHL games from my 4 (yes, 4) local teams (Rangers, Islanders, Devils, and Sabres) on Madison Square Garden (MSG) networks, the NHL network, and the local NBC station. Usually if a game was unavailable on one channel, it would be available on one of the other two.

My question to those who have made the switch from DirecTV to DISH: Are you still able to get your NHL games? Are there more blackouts? Do you have the same local teams? Heck, anyone with a DISH subscription feel free to chime in with your experiences vis-à-vis NHL game blackouts (although the experiences of upstate NY residents would be most welcome).

In this household, the answer to these questions may be potential deal-breakers (3 people in the household- one a Rangers fan, one an Islanders fan, and one a Devils fan).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  2. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Directv is still the sports leader.

madcow68 likes this.
  3. statsman

statsman Mentor

Mar 27, 2011
    Thanks for the reply but I didn't really need that information.

4. Mister Coke

Mister Coke New Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Oak Hill Ohio
    Where the pack 12 network at of Directv

5. zippyfrog

zippyfrog Mentor

Jul 14, 2010
    Dish no longer carries MSG, so if you need that channel, that would be a deal breaker for you. Dish dropped MSG some 8 years ago.

statsman likes this.
  6. statsman

statsman Mentor

Mar 27, 2011
    Thanks, much obliged for that important information. I simply don't know how I missed not seeing MSG in the channel lineup.

7. statsman

statsman Mentor

Mar 27, 2011
    I edited my original post but I think it makes more sense to start a new thread instead:

Edit:
    Thanks to ZippyFrog below, I now understand that I won't be able to get my NHL games via any regular package if I switch from DirecTv to DISH (as DISH does not carry MSG).... but I don't want to give up just yet.

Anyone have experience with NHL Center Ice on Dish? What's the approximate cost for the season? Are the games broadcast in HD? Are all the games carried? Any caveats I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance!

8. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    I haven't seen this season's price yet, but it was $150 last season. All regular season games are carried as far as I know, but games are often blacked out in their home market per league requirements. Many games are carried in HD, but not all. I don't know if that's a network or Dish decision.

statsman likes this.
  9. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    I just received my renewal notice, its $160 this year, they have me set up to pay installments on it. Not sure if you have the option to pay all upfront if you choose. You get all games carried by FSN regionals (both feeds) and you get the AT&T regionals also. As stated above, MSG is out and last year I noticed that the Rogers SportsNet games from Canada were SD only. The only time the MSG problem is impactful is when two MSG teams are playing each other, otherwise you get the game from the opponent's feed. Plus NHL network shows a lot of games and may have a Rangers game on from time to time.

If you have a strong wifi you might want to consider the NHL.TV streaming package, price is similar and no network contract issues. Plus replays on demand.

statsman likes this.
  10. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Those NHL Network games are blacked out for in market viewers, instead they get a different game on the alternate channel.

In market viewers are also blacked out of games on Center Ice and NHL.tv involving their teams. The Albany DMA is in MSG's Zone 2, that sweet spot where they're considered in market for all 4 of the NY/NJ NHL teams. So where he is, he'll be blacked out of any game MSG and MSG Plus are airing locally involving Rangers, Devils, Islanders and Sabres.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    statsman likes this.
  11. statsman

statsman Mentor

Mar 27, 2011

Special thanks to NYDutch, SDWC, and KyL416 for their helpful replies.
    $160 would have been fine with me, I would have still come out ahead compared to Directv.
    Unfortunately, I'm in a rural community without the broadband internet that would make subscribing to NHL.TV a viable option.
    And...If I lose MSG games due to broadcast restrictions on Center Ice, switching back to Dish will just not be worth it for me.
    Thanks again to everyone... those who responded to my posts, everyone who at least gave them a read and the mods who obviously fixed my dual posts. Though I usually only lurk here on rare occasions, my experience reaffirms what a great resource dBs talk is.
    Though I'm bummed about it, It looks like I'll be staying with DirecTV for another while at least.
    Cheers!