NHL Center Ice Package Deal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by birdie_ace, Oct 17, 2008.

1. birdie_ace

birdie_ace Mentor

Apr 11, 2008
    Last night I decided to purchase the NHL Center Ice package (first time buyer). Initially, I wanted to order it online via the website. The purchase price online was four payments of $42.25 or one payment of $169. However on channel 106 it was showing that the early bird price was still in effect (a measly ten dollar savings).

To make a long story short, I called and spoke with a CSR. I said I wanted the Early Bird rate as shown on channel 106. She said she was unable to give me the early bird rate but instead could credit my account $10 for six months.

Well that was a no brainer decision. I checked my account online this morning and the NHL Center Ice package charge, as well as a "6 month pkg discount" of $10 were reflected on my bill. By my math, that means I get NHL Center Ice for $109 plus tax. IMO - very reasonable.

If any of you folks were holding out on purchasing Center Ice, it may be worthwhile to make a phone call and see if you can get the same deal. All I did was ask for the early bird rate.

2. webhype

webhype AllStar

Dec 28, 2007
    Raleigh/Durh...
    Wow, I was waiting till after November 1st as someone I know received a $20 off coupon in his bill. I'd like to hear others who were able to get this deal to ensure that it is not an CSR isolated situation.....Interesting !

3. GlennDio

GlennDio Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Castle...
    even at $169 this is a great value IMHO .... NHL center Ice has a ton of HD feeds and the volume of games with no feeds is almost nil .... as soon as teams starting broadcasting even a little more in HD (almost there) we will get almost every game in HD from at least one of the feeds .... great package ...I really enjoy it!!!

4. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    You got lucky, the CSR did not offer the $60 credit to me. I had a coupon for $20 that was good starting in Nov, so she gave me the $10 off for early bird and said that I will get the $20 credit in Nov for the coupon. If it doesn't show up, she has noted that she received approval from a team lead to offer both. If it all happens, I will be happy to get it for $139 ($169-10-20).

5. birdie_ace

birdie_ace Mentor

Apr 11, 2008
    Since no one else seems to have been able to get this deal, I will consider myself very lucky to have hit the CSR lottery!

Go Pens!

6. pigskins

pigskins Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    Maybe it's only for Penguins fans!

I called tonight and got it. I got $5 off a month for 12 months. I said I was trying to order on channel 108 and could not get that channel. The CSR tried resending the signal and then was going to have me reset the receiver. I said can't you just give it to me, she said I can't get you one channel. I said no not 108 but the Center Ice package. She laughed and said sure! Then she quoted the 42.25 price and I said well channel 106 said 39.75, she said hold on...ok what I can do is 42.25 and then $5 off for 12 months. SOLD!

Net price $109.

Now I'm watching the Pens in HD!

Go Pens!

7. webhype

webhype AllStar

Dec 28, 2007
    Raleigh/Durh...
    Maybe the key here was the Channel 108 banner mention of the early bird special, that seems to be the only common factor here (and that you are both Pens fans). I called and one CSR wouldn't budge, another call later that night I got them to give me a $20 credit for the coupon I had that was good post 11/1. Congrats to those who netted out CI to $109.

8. goondog71

goondog71 Mentor

Feb 15, 2006
    Where did you get the coupon?

9. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    They sent a coupon booklet to me when I signed up in September. They actually have the coupons noted on your account. So if you sign up for something during the designated timeframe, it automatically credits your account. You don't send anything in or use any kind of code.

10. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Good deal! Be sure to check each month for the $10 though. I did the same with Sunday Ticket($10/12months) and I've had to call each month to have them put the credit on. Some CSRs can't seem to make it a monthly credit.http://www.dbstalk.com/images/smilies/confused.gif