1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nhl center ice question about HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by buffalofrenchy, Aug 29, 2010.

1. buffalofrenchy

buffalofrenchy Legend

Aug 29, 2010
    Hi everyone

Here is my question: I understand that games not shown on versus or nbc are shown on center ice. Are these games shown on HD? What about the JIP usually shown on VERSUS, are the entire games shown on center ice? If so, in HD?

Thanks for the answers. I m trying to figure out if it is worth the cost.
    I can't believe that NHL playoffs are not all shown on cable/satellite just like any other sports. Hence if NHLCI makes the "other" games available and in HD then it makes the package even more interesting.

2. GlennDio

GlennDio Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Castle...
    The package is unbelievably great for any hockey fan ...

I assume your local NBC is in HD if so on D* with an HD receiver and access you will get all NBC and Versus games in HD PLUS all (virtually all? maybe all live games) NHL Network Games (including at least the first game of HNIC each saturday night) in HD and every american team HD feed that exists (except maybe CSN Philly--not sure what will happen this coming season) and all MAple leafs feeds on SNET -Ontario in HD AT LEAST .... this package is great .... come playoff time you get all the feeds of all playoff games NOT completely shown on NBC or VERSUS ...so VS JIP games and the games not covered nationally ... in HD from the same sources talked about above

Short Answer the Package on D* is an incredible value and well worth it ...you will love it ... if you can afford it (and it really isn't that much) I highly recommend it!!!

3. buffalofrenchy

buffalofrenchy Legend

Aug 29, 2010
    Great! Thanks for your reply so with NHLCI and obviously NBC + VS, you have access to all playoff games in HD come April

4. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    Well, if Montreal plays Ottawa in the playoffs, I do not expect an HD feed unless it is on VS and I doubt that VS would have the game unless it was the conference finals. Same for any combination of Western Canadian teams. So, if say San Jose played Vancouver there would be an HD feed available, but if Edmonton played Vancouver then maybe not.

Nonetheless, the package is a real bargain. The VS blackout night in the regular season only applies to US feeds so if the Leafs are playing the habs that game is till available.

5. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    Worth noting here is that it's not technically a blackout because US Teams are not permitted to broadcast the game at all against an exclusive Vs broadcast. For the most part the schedule is done in such a way to avoid this happening on most occasions.

If Phoenix is playing Tampa Bay against an exclusive there is no TV at all. If Phoenix is playing Toronto against an exclusive, the TO feed would be on CI.

6. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    Yes, thanks for clarifying that, it is only US feeds.

7. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    Another point is that the "window" is only against the telecast. So if it's 7:00 eastern game, the west coast games would be unaffected.

8. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    yes, but generally not an issue if the WAF is one game per night or if you are on the east coast where west coast games do not start until 10 PM