1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NHL CI Low Subscriber Number?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by islesfan, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 28
    islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I keep reading how low the NHLCi subscriber base is when compared to the other sports packages, but are we all just assuming that? I mean, if I had to guess, I would also assume that NHLCI was the lowest subscribed to service as well, but I have also noted what Stan Fischler has documented about the news bias against the NHL, so is there any official figure with regards to the numbers of NHLCI subs as compared to the other packages?

If you check the posts at DBStalk lately, it looks like we're the majority! (Wishful thinking)

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 28
    mitoca

mitoca AllStar

May 31, 2006
    I'd love to see these numbers. My experience is that hockey fans are often very enthusiastic compared to other sports. Hockey definitely lacks the number of casual fans, but the die hard fans, the ones that get these subscription packages, are there. Just look at attendance numbers. The NHL is right up there with the other sports. And in many markets, like here in Detroit, the local RSN often outdraws the big 4 networks when the Wings are playing.

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 28
    whalerfan

whalerfan AllStar

May 31, 2007
    I subscribed to NHLCI until the league decided to take a season off. Oops, ensure financial stability. During that time I found other things to do so re-subscribing became unnecessary. It's too bad that they don't offer a Hockey Night in Canada sub subscription. Those are the only games I'd be interested in. The CBC people know how to do it correctly.

Besides, i'm still irritated about the Whalers.

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 28
    bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Definitely wishful thinking, I'm afraid. AFAIK, those numbers are not available to us, but I'd guess they wouldn't be huge, extrapolating from ratings data from national telecasts. Among the sports packages, I'd guess NHL would trail all but MLS Direct Kick.

However, we hockey fans are a very loyal and fanatical group. :)

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 28
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    My guess would be MLS Direct Kick is the lowest subscribed to Sports Subscription Service.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 28
    bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    CBC knows how to do some things correctly, though the PQ of their HD hockey broadcasts is not great in general. I have access to them via Star Choice, but wish that DirecTV would include CBC-HD games in Center Ice.

Yeah, I hear you about the Whalers. I remember going to games when they started in Boston as a WHA franchise.

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 28
    TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
  8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 28
    late1

late1 Cool Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Aren't most true NHL fans ravenous, and either go to all games or watch all them?

Here in Columbus only have a crap NHL team, and they get virtually the same 15,000 at each game. Population 1.2 million. So that equates to less than 1% who care about hockey.

For all the other sports a fan is likely to go to one or two games a year, and catch some others on TV. Unless it Buckeye Football and you can't get tickets, unless you donate huge to OSU.

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 28
    islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    See, that's a great point! I know there are more NFL fans, there always will be. Those fans, however are happy, for the most part, with their one game a week featuring the local team. Hockey fans are more rabid, however. When we moved to Nevada, I started casually following the 49ers, Giants and Kings, but I simply HAD TO get NHLCI in order to see the Islanders. I think hockey fans are far more likely to develop a life long relationship with their team, regardless of where they live. This translates into NHLCI subscriptions. Add to that the fact that hockey fans are more affluent and spend much more on NHL merchandise than the fans of other leagues, and it would be interesting to actually see the numbers of subs, rather than speculating.

10. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
  11. late1

late1 Cool Member

Aug 16, 2007
    United States — Population: 301,139,947

Do the math...
    I don't have a calculator that goes so low.

12. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    I don't think that the original poster was that interested in % of US population that subcribe to CI. My guess is that even Sunday Ticket subscribers approach decimal dust using that denominator.

13. dhhaines

dhhaines Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Ummm ... that's population... NOT households.... two VERY different things

So what exactly are you trying to say? That's still over $35mil in revenue for someone.

14. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    That's my point! We all assume that since there are more football fans, there are more NHLST subs. That is likely to be true, but it is not certain to be true. I'm just trying to nail it down.

You know, we hockey fans go to our local arena (like back when I lived near one) and it is usually packed with screaming fans. Most of those fans are wearing NHL apparel. We see all the advertising sold when the games are on TV. We have many friends who are just as rabid fans as we are. I wear my Isles sweater in Reno, and I come across a whole bunch of people who say "let's go Isles," ... IN RENO! What's the number one team web site in hits every month for a year now? www.newyorkislanders.com ! Then we open a paper and see zero hockey coverage. We get on a message board and endure cracks about "what's this hockey thing? heh, heh, heh" It get sold!

15. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    There were an estimated 2 million NFL ST subs in 2006. Just a couple of dozen more than NHL CI. ;)

EDIT: Last year there were about 600,000 MLB EI subs, of which about 1/2 were D* subs. Now that D* has MLB EI exclusively, that number probably jumped a bunch in 2007.

16. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    DirecTV does not have MLB Extra Innings exclusively.

17. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yeah, it pretty much does. The deal they made with MLB ensured that they would carry it with little competiton. For all intents and purposes, it's exclusive.

18. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    The 235K number includes cable and Dish as well. Lots of cable subs get CI and Dish has a big following as well. If I had to estimate the number on DirecTV I'd say no more then 75-100K.

19. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Statement From Jason Blake Regarding Condition Toronto Maple Leafs Oct 8, 2007, 10:39 AM EDT
    Blake Jason Blake of the Toronto Maple Leafs issued the following statement following the team’s practice Monday at Air Canada Centre:

“This morning I shared with my teammates news that I was diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. It is highly-treatable, and I have begun taking a pill on a daily basis that has proven to be very effective in controlling this cancer. The prognosis, and certainly the expectations of my physician, myself and my family, is that I will live a long, full and normal life.

“This situation will not impact my ability to live my life as I otherwise would, and will not affect my ability to perform at my highest level for the Toronto Maple Leafs. I’m looking forward to my first season with the Leafs and helping our club compete for the Stanley Cup.”

20. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    You must have a very lose definition of the word exclusive. Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Charter, Cablevision and Brighthouse all carry MLB Extra Innings. That’s at least, 45 Million non DirecTV subscribers that have the option of subscribing to MLB Extra Innings. So much for little competition. Dish Network and Verizon are the only two major multichannel video providers in the country who do not carry EI. So for all intents and purposes, no it is definitely not exclusive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.