NHL:Get rid of the conincidental minor rule

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by George_F, Feb 1, 2003.

1. George_F

George_F Legend

Dec 25, 2002
    Ok, I just had to get this out there because it seems so obvious to me. If the NHL wants to improve the quality of the games then there is one "rule change" that HAS to be done.

Get rid of the coincidental minor penalty rule.

Until the mid to late 1980's, when two players were called for a minor penalty at the same time, the two teams would play 4 on 4 for two minutes. This was changed in large part to teams like the 80's Edmonton Oilers who would kill teams 4 on 4 by putting the likes of Gretzky-Kurri out together with all the extra room.

Under the current rules, when two players receive a minor penalty at the same time the teams remain at 5 on 5.

By getting rid of this rule and going back to the way things used to be, skilled players would get the room they need and that everyone seems to love in 4 on 4 overtime. The other great thing about this is the integrity of the game will not be messed with since this was a rule for many years in the NHL.

This is an obvious thing to me and I can't understand why no one has proposed it.

Opinions?

2. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Dont they go 4-4 on certain calls but not all the time. :confused:

3. Dean T

Dean T New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Pretty sure they brought back the coincidental rule a couple years back.

4. newflyer7

newflyer7 Mentor

Apr 10, 2002
    the coincidental minor rule only takes effect if there is a penalty being served at the time. you play 4 on 4 hockey if there is a coincidental penalty called at full strength.. thsi was ll because of the edmonton oilers domination at 4 on 4 . the league changed the coincidental minor penalty to the way it is called now in the early 90`s.