NHL network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by millertime, Nov 25, 2014.

1. millertime

millertime Godfather

Sep 2, 2007
    I have choice extra and now get NHL? Nice;)

2. jceman

jceman Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    North of...
    It is not reflected on their website, but a CSR confirmed it, so I dropped down to Extra. Thanks for the heads up.

3. Jan 2, 2016 #3 of 10
    majikmarker

majikmarker AllStar

Feb 27, 2005
    Arlington, WA
    NHL Network is the absolute worst!

I realize the World Juniors tourney is 'niche' programming and only die-hard hockey fans would be looking for it (isn't that who the NHL Network should be catering to?), but I cannot believe they are not showing the Canada-Finland game live today.

Is it too much of a stretch to assume that a lot of serious hockey fans would be interested in both North American teams? Making this even more painful is the fact that the game is a 'goal fest' late in the the third, with Canada behind....

4. Jan 2, 2016 #4 of 10
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Because they are showing the US/Czech live game now. With the games overlapping, they went with their 'home' team. Sounds logical to me.

5. Jan 2, 2016 #5 of 10
    majikmarker

majikmarker AllStar

Feb 27, 2005
    Arlington, WA
    I don't find it logical at all, especially in this day and age.

For a half hour overlap (who scheduled this tournament?) you sacrifice an entire game? It could have been put on their Alt channel, or worst case, offer a streaming option online to subscribers who get the NHL Network. I realize the network is based in the US but as there is no longer a NHL Network Canada, I don't think its too much to ask to expand their coverage to both the US and Canada teams (I'm not looking for live Belarus games here!)

Must have an ex-NBC Sports executive running the network as they seem to use the NBC Olympics broadcast model...tape delay as much as possible, and take a jingoistic posture as to what they broadcast (because its impossible to think a hockey fan may be interested in more than only Team USA)

6. Jan 2, 2016 #6 of 10
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yes, in this day and age, I looked at the 2016 IIHF app and saw the overlap. I then checked my DIRECTV guide to see my only option to watch both games live was to Google search for a site streaming the Finland/Canada game live. Which I found and watched.

The IIHF scheduled these games to meet the requirements of their host country.

So my recommendation in this day and age is to find an alternative source to watch an event if your provider isn't carrying what you want.

7. Jan 2, 2016 #7 of 10
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The NHL Network alternate is not an overflow channel, it is only for people who are blacked out of the NHL games on the main channel. Satellite is national so all the alternates are in the guide, on cable there are no alternates, instead the receiver at the cable provider's headend is automatically switched to the alternate feed when there's a blackout.

8. Jan 2, 2016 #8 of 10
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    and yet there is a NBC SN ALT that cable switches / ATT put's in the alts even the NHL Network reverse mirror stuff / directv uses but not for the reverse mirror so you (used to need to have a higher package) to GET START OF A IN MARKET TEAM.

I think ATT has a national feed of NBCSN and will put the overlaps onto the ALT slots that cable systems auto switch. How long before ATT adds NHL NET back? + get's MLB EI AND NHL CI?

9. Jan 8, 2016 #9 of 10
    Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    The problem is, the NHL network is just lazy. They don't do their own telecasts and just simulcast what other networks show. Basically, the league, as a whole, doesn't put a lot of effort into many things and it is reflected in their network.

I'm hoping now that MLB is running the show with the NHL network and streaming, we will see an improvement in both.

10. mcl77

mcl77 AllStar

Nov 25, 2008
    is thisreally in the extra package?
    i have to get the highest package to get it.