1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NHL return to ESPN

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by la24philly, Aug 18, 2010.

1. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    Hi all i came accross this site, espn has interest in getting the NHL back.

what you think? http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2010/7/27/1589019/nhl-return-to-espn-a-possibility

when i read it i see it being

COMCAST / NBC vs ESPN / ABC

comcast would put games on USA, Versus and increase games on NBC.

The nhl if it goes back to espn, wants them to increase NHL coverage.

so if you like hockey what do you want to see.

2. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    I don't know. I'm all for anything that doesn't subject us to the fake 5.1 employed by either ESPN/ABC or Versus. NBC does it best however. Having and Emmy award winning sound mixer always helps too.

3. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    i hope if they do get it back, that ESPN will improve on its coverage, but the ovehall on the other sports.

4. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    First off, this debate has been ongoing on many other boards, especially hfboards, for a long time. Check it out (under the "Business of Hockey") for many thoughts on this.

My take:

1.) Towards the end of ESPN's original run with the NHL, ESPN crapped on the NHL. It was because reports started coming out that the NHL on ESPN ratings were piss poor in the 00's. There were many laughable sports/shows on ESPN that were outdrawing NHL games on ESPN, even many playoff games.

2.) In light of #1, no reason to knock the NHL for leaving. When the NHL left, ESPN was offering a deal with no rights fee but split revenues (like the current NHL/NBC deal). Versus (Comcast) was offering a rights fee. Can't blame the NHL for taking money.

3.) Versus for the most part does it right, it has good coverage.

4.) Nobody watches Versus and it doesn't help the NHL's cause in terms of getting more casual American sports fans into the NHL (which should be the NHL's #1 business priority if it is not already).

5.) Since the NHL left, it is clear to see that on ESPN if they broadcast games for a league, they promote the hell out of it. Hence it's all NFL/NBA/MLB there is no more NHL2night, a show many of us greatly miss. Sure Barry Melrose/Matt Barnaby are there, but don't get much air time to talk hockey, and it's mostly during the playoffs or if something crazy happens (Sean Avery incident(s)).

Finally, if bringing the NHL back to ESPN means they will promote the hell out of it, and at the very least have it on one of the ESPN family of networks (including a reimagined ESPN Classic), such that people can easily find the NHL and it's in their face (i.e., NHL games on ESPN on a channel in the 200's near ESPN/ESPN2/etc), I'm all for it.

5. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    i wonder is this the first chance espn has a shot at NHL since the exclusive was signed with versus in 05.

I wonder how many years left are on the current versus nbc deal.

if versus does retain it. it would be great to see comcast / nbc improve coverage and offer games on USA

6. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    If I remember right, ESPN canceled NHL2Night before their NHL contract even expired. No big loss though since Bucigross bugs me and On The Fly is an infinitely better highlights show, but it shows that hockey was way down the list of priorities for ESPN and I don't think that would change given all the bigger ratings sports they already have the rights to. I hope things stay the same with Versus/NBC.

7. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    If On The Fly would go HD, then it will be top notch. Until then its 2nd rate...

8. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    I believe this is the last year on VS. The interesting question is how Comcrap would react when they own NBC next year (something that should never be allowed).

9. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    I'm happy with the games on NBC. The games on Versus and any potential games on ESPN must be of high audio quality.

10. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Anything to get it away from the N(obody) B(ut) C(rosby) network! The picture on NBC is the worst! Blocking whenever it pans, lousy sound mixing, goodbye NBC!

11. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    There must be a problem with your equipment. The NBC sound mixing is the best in the business. Their mixer posts over at AVS and has been awarded with at least one Emmy for his work.

12. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    NBC forgets that there is a western half of North America.

13. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    It was in HD for the playoffs.

but where would ESPN put the games when they over flow ESPN News HD?

ESPN HD alt?

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    With their time slot at 12:30 or 1PM eastern, hard to cover any western teams unless they are on a right-coast trip. But yes, there are a few teams that seemed to be on every weekend on NBC this past season.

15. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    If I were the NHL I think I'd want to stay with VS/NBC at this time becuase you get to be the #1 sport on their network. Moving to ABC/ESPN would mean you're in a fight with all the other sports they carry. That being said if we see the rumored lockout of the NFL next year plus some rumors of issues with the NBA "CBA" you could see ESPN making a move for the NHL to protect themselves in case there is no NBA/NFL for a while. They need to fill those many hrs of programing.

16. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    On The Fly will be in HD starting this season, and if you think ESPN/ABC would do any differently as far as showing Crosby/Ovechkin every week I would beg to differ.

17. scoop8

scoop8 Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    Dallas TX
    That's a good point, if there's no NFL next season. As an NHL fan, that's something to consider. The point about the NHL possibly going back to ESPN/ABC is also food for thought, as it would not get top billing vs the other major sports.

18. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    And lest we forget there is a CBA issue looming in the NHL after the spring of 2012 and Bettman is already screaming the league still needs to bet a better deal.

19. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    Comcast owns the PHiladelphia flyers, i dont think they should be allowed to fully own the national Tv rights but thats the way it looks when they take over NBC, i mean look at how they provide TV to the philly area.

But they did say expansion with games on USA networks.

Would you want it to stay on nbc if they expand more coverage and add usa to the mix of versus and they said more games on nbc.

20. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    all playoff games need to be on NBC or at least USA.

USA is much bigger then VS.