Nielsen 2011-2012 DMA Rankings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by RML81, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1 of 16
    RML81

RML81 Legend

Jul 3, 2011
  2. Sep 3, 2011 #2 of 16
    Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Wow, that's true. I wonder where the migration is to. Maybe to suburban or rural areas outside the incorporated limits of the big cities. On the first two pages, over 90% seem to be declining. Except for in Florida.

3. Sep 3, 2011 #3 of 16
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Looks like my DMA (Pittsburg/Joplin) dropped one spot.

4. Sep 3, 2011 #4 of 16
    LCDSpazz

LCDSpazz AllStar

Dec 31, 2008
    The decline has nothing to do with rural-urban migration. The 210 DMA's cover the entire country. The Phoenix DMA listed here for example covers most of the state of Arizona. The declines have to do with people dropping tv entirely.

5. Sep 3, 2011 #5 of 16
    kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    How do they know people drop TV entirely? They could measure Sat and cable subscribers, FIOS, Uverse, other pay services, but how would they measure OTA and FTA users?

6. Sep 3, 2011 #6 of 16
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Think about it more and more people are going to the internet for content. Shouldnt these numbers be dropping?

7. Sep 3, 2011 #7 of 16
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Up by one.
    Wonder if it really means anything $$-wise?

8. Sep 3, 2011 #8 of 16
    Mariah2014

Mariah2014 Breaking the mold

Apr 21, 2006
    Phoenix Metro
    The economy has everything to do with this. I doubt it has anything to do with people switching over to the internet and not using pay provider otherwise. It's most likely caused by population decline. People moving or having become homeless since the last number probably make up a big portion of this change.

9. Sep 3, 2011 #9 of 16
    russinpa

russinpa AllStar

Aug 11, 2010
    I read a acticle a few weeks ago (i cant find it now) that blamed economic issues relating to young people as one of the biggest factors in the decline of TV households. Basically, kids aren't moving out as fast as they once did or they are moving back home because they cant make ends meet on their own.

So, in the past you would have 2 households (parents house and juniors appt) but now you only have the parents house. You still have the same number of tv viewers but have 1 less household.

10. Marty711

Marty711 AllStar

Oct 15, 2008
    I think the economy is the number one factor but in most of these cities, the population went up in the census, not down. I think most of it is the cutting of the cord because of various reasons. The census numbers don't match the Nielsen numbers at all.

11. skinnyJM

skinnyJM Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    DFW DMA
    Yes it is confusing. DFW dropped in number of TV homes for 2012, but area population is growing substantially.
    I can guarantee the number of automobiles in DFW did not drop. :lol:

12. RML81

RML81 Legend

Jul 3, 2011
    I hadn't thought about people giving up tv as a reason. Yet, if you're watching tv or media via Internet, wouldn't you still be a "tv household"? You're still viewing content, just via a different method. Maybe in the future they'll change the parameter to "potential tv household"?

13. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Be careful about reading too much demographic conclusions from these charts.

Nielsen, with a couple of trivial exceptions, stricly follows county lines in its system. And it moves counties every year, based on which town's channels people in some rural county people view most. Often large gains or losses in the charts are nothing more than some rural county being shifted from one DMA to another. Because these are often very rural places, this can be little more than survey error, as the sample size in the county is tiny.

A fictional scenario would be "Dumptruck County". It is a rural mountain county. There is actually no OTA reception there. You have to have cable or DBS to get TV at all. It is located between 4 DMAs. Cable has a mix of channels from each. Say it gets NBC from one town and CBS from another. The county will shift from one to the other DMA just because CBS is more popular right now. Or say it gets Fox from two towns, and the guy they survey one year is a fan of one DMA's NFL team and the guy the next year is a fan of the other's. Or one town shows Oprah at 3 and the other at 5 and people prefer 3. Shift. And so on.

I have not seen the maps (Nielsen keeps them very secret) but I would bet you money that many of the big changes (such as the Tennessee Tri-Cites going down 6 spots or El Paso going up 5) or the illogical changes (such as growing places like Phoenix and Charlotte dropping) are just the result of rural county shifts (note that Las Vegas, which is actually losing population, grew, probably by picking up a county or two in northwestern AZ, and that the Piedmont Triad grew far more than is logical, probably because some rural county along I-85 somewhere was switched to the Triad.

14. stoutman

stoutman Godfather

Feb 8, 2003
    Rochester, NY probably did not pick up 6k households in a year without a county change. My guess is Yates from Syracuse DMA. They lost 3k though so not a perfect match. Your point is probably in the upstate map. Buffalo picked up 9k. We are stagnant area at best. 15k household increase in a year between Rochester and Buffalo is beyond belief without shifting.

15. je4755

je4755 Godfather

Dec 11, 2006
    My DMA dropped one spot to 125; guess I should feel better about DirecTV’s decision not to provide us with HD LIL.

16. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Still ranked 115. Still no HD locals. Still Ridiculous.