1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Night of the Living Zombie Blue Rings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Throckmorton, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Weekend before last, I moved my HR20 and HR21 around the entertainment center and now have them right around eye-level. The bright blue ring on the HR20 got a little annoying after a couple of days so I deceded to turn them both off. Much better. And I'll gain the added benefit of knowing when 0x034C showes up, though I don't care so much.

A couple mornings later both blue rings are back on. Odd, I thought, since I usually get updates a day or two apart on the two boxes. Turned the rings back off but never actually checked the boxes. When that evening's TV vieweing began I checked the software version and was surprised to see 0x312 still on both DVRs. Hmmm...

A couple of nights later, rinse and repeat. And then again, a night or two later. And again last night. I noticed it happened between 2:00 AM and 4:00 AM.

So it's not happening every night I don't think, but every 2 or 3 nights, as best as I can tell. I didn't start paying very close attention until I noticed it happening several times.

I don't understand why they would be resetting like this. They are both plugged into a UPS and the UPS is in good shape. If there was a power loss and the UPS was failing too, I'd get an alarm which I know is loud enough to wake me.

Any ideas?

2. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    power cord loose or strained ?
    ups have a load cell test happening or a timed cell shutdown/restart?

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    So what software version do they ahve now?
    Did they go back and forth with each restart?

4. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    No, I checked that. And it's happening to both units when ever it happens.

Don't know, but that shouldn't effect the outputs. It would kind of defeat the purpose of a UPS wouldn't it?

This began when I relocated everything over Labor Day weekend. The other thing that is different is that I added a SWM and recabled all the tuners.

5. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    0x312 from June.

No, they've been stuck on that same version.

I wonder if it is something to do with a failed attempt at upgrading.

6. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    without knowing ups specifics its hard to say, but I have 2 that can, at specified times, shut cells off then restart them per schedule.I have them set to not shut off of course :)

is there a pc hooked up to the ups that you can check logs with?

7. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    No, but I can probably do that. Good idea.

Let me just mention that this is the same UPS the DVRs have been hooked up to for close to a year now and this didn't start until I moved stuff around. It's nothing fancy though. Just one of the ~$60 500VA APC units. It doesn't know what time it is or have the ability to cycle the cells.

But I just remembered something else. We had an extended power outage one day last week that drained the UPS completely and both DVR did lose power eventually. When power came back on, everything came up okay.

But I don't recall if the blue-ring issues started before or after this. Perhaps that event took out the UPS. I suppose I can test it by yanking the plug from the wall and seeing what happens.

Or it has something to do with failing to update properly. Is there any way I can tell if my units are trying to pull 0x34C and failing?

8. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I don't know if there is way to check update fail history, would be nice though :)

9. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    some have a breaker that affects battery output while still allowing pass through on power. I don't think many newer ones are like this but might want to check breaker.

10. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Try forcing an update and see what happens. You may see it fail trying to get the new update then reboot which could explain your problem because it would usually try every day or so if the update is waiting and it was not sucessful.

11. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    I'll try the plug-yank test on the UPS and see what happens. I hadn't considered the possibility that the UPS may have just died.

That's a good idea. Can you remind me how to force an update?

I wonder if the new SWM screwed something up that is preventing them both from updating. I know that doesn't make sense but I'm at a loss.

12. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    I have had a UPS fail for no apparent reason...although when it failed it simply didn't put out any power whatsoever...

To force an update do a menu reset and press 0 2 4 6 8 when the blue ring first comes back on.

I would really be looking at your system setup, since you added the SWM that has inserted another point of failure...

13. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I think it would be odd for the swm having anything to do with arbitrary rebooting on 2 systems, but yes I would look at it too.

14. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    I was thinking more along the lines of preventing an update. They try to update and fail, then reboot to back out of the failed attempt.

15. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    Unplug your UPS for one second and plug it back in. That's probably not long enough to set off the alarm, but if your UPS isn't working correctly, a very short power interruption like that will make your HR reboot. Also make sure that the power cord is firmly plugged into the back of the HR, and that it doesn't reboot if you try to move either plug end without actually pulling the plug out.

16. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Right. I mentioned I'm going to try that this evening. The UPS may have bitten the bullet. My biggest problem with the bad UPS theory though is that it happens only over night. That has been consistant.

Unlikely, since there are two HRs rebooting at the same time.

17. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    I need to correct an assumption I made earlier: that this began when I recently moved and recabled the HRs and added the SWM-8.

But it was only then that the blue ring became annoying and I started turning it off. It just dawned on me that they could have been resetting far longer and I just never knew it. Assuming, of course, that they are resetting.

Is there anything else that might cause the blue rings to come back on? I know my poodles are smart but I don't think they're _that_ smart.

18. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You did remember to remove the BBCs, right?
    They aren't needed with SWM.

19. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Yes, I removed them gleefully. They were cable clutter to the Nth degree.

I have 6 or 8 of them just taking up space in my cabinet now. If anyone needs 1 or 2 in the Aurora/Naperville area, PM me and stop by.

20. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I think you will find this to be a power issue. when you get the chance to do the tests you plan please update us.