1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No 129 sat on new install

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mworks, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 22
    mworks

mworks Mentor

Oct 8, 2007
    I just had dish network installed two days ago and at the time the installer had problems finding the 129 sat. He said it was because it was rainy and cloudy and that it was just too weak to get.
    He told me to run a check switch when the weather was better and that all would be fine then.

Well its not .
    The dish is the 1000.2 and the reciever is a Vip-722.
    The switch installed is labled 123254 separator

The dish system selected is dish 500.
    If I go to the setup screen and do a check switch it finds 119 with a signal strength of 74, 110 with signal strength 58, and shows no mention of 129.
    Those signal strengths seem really low to me considering the dish is in the middle of the yard with nothin in front but the sky.

After the check switch it finds the 110, 119 and says 3rd connected but no signal.

Do I need to get them back out here or is there something I can do without the trouble.
    I have installed the directv dual dish setup so I am somewhat familiar with pointing , just not sure of how its done with 3 sats on dish.

Thanks

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 22
    DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    Call them back.

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 22
    JohnEL

JohnEL Cool Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Dido - I would call them back, to bad you had a poor install:nono:

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 22
    mworks

mworks Mentor

Oct 8, 2007
    Yeah he wasn't very professional.
    He was in a hurry the whole job.
    He also said he was cementing the pole but only used a cup of water for all the cement ? Seems a bit too little to me.
    He also tried to add on "additional charges" for cement, pole, wire, but I wouldn't give on it so he did it anyway.
    Not sure if its ok for them to charge extra or what dish pays for.

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 22
    DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    That's the problem with the contractors that Dish hires for the installs.

I've been a dish customer for 10 years now and we called to get an upgrade to HD earlier this year. Installers came, had some major fire up their asses and got all pissed off because I wanted the old dish moved to my chimney and also have the 2nd dish mounted there as well. Installers also wanted to leave because Dish CSR said that they could move the old dish for free and they don't work for free. (Which is, of course, understandable) The installer also told me that he's paid by the job, not the hour. So obviously, the more jobs they get done, the more money they get. Hence, the major fire that they all tend to have up their asses.
    After waiting an hour for Dish and the contractor's HQ to negotiate the details, they gave me 2 new dishes and new equipment across the board for free.

In the end, I was happy and the contractors were probably happy too since they got their money for the job. Bottom line is, don't let them leave without doing what you want. The fact that he couldn't get 129 because "it was cloudy" is COMPLETE BS. I never lose my signal because of clouds. Hell, I never lose it in heavy rain or even snow.

At least you know for next time. . .

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 22
    davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    Until dish realizes that you have to pay for a professional to get one you will have substandard installs. In this area a professional install on any antenna or cable running job will cost $60 per hr per man + material. You will get a trained qualified tech that will do the job like you want it. Get it done per NEC and everything working. Dish or direct installs get payed per job the install company pays for all install material. This means the tougher jobs get bypassed and the techs are substandard because they are not trained ( or paid)properly.

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 22
    BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    +1

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 22
    Raymie

Raymie Godfather

Mar 31, 2007
    "The dish system selected is dish 500"

There's your answer. You should see 1000, not 500. Call them back and ask for a trained person who can fix the issue and get you better strength.

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 22
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I have a dish 1000 and my system says Dish 500 also - there is no Dish 1000 option. There has never been an option for Dish1000. Dish 500 is the correct choice.

You need to have the installer come back and correctly align your dish.

10. saweetnesstrev

saweetnesstrev Godfather

Oct 8, 2005
    When i got dish network i never gotten a Dish 1000, so i miss my RSN HD, they gave me a DISH 500+ ,, am i screwed outta money or something if i wanted to get a 1000? I wanna be able to see 129. And my signals are really low, now that the new software came into effect.

11. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    If you're paying for that $20 HD Fee, then YES call dish to get the 1000. You should be able to see everything you are paying for.

12. saweetnesstrev

saweetnesstrev Godfather

Oct 8, 2005
    Thanks DBS Commando.

13. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    That doesn't have anything to do with it. Those selections only tell you the aiming coordinates for that particular dish. They will not prevent a properly tuned dish from showing up 'green' in the check switch summary. Classic example of someone not knowing what they were doing. I say it all the time, get your best readings on 129 or 118.7 and the others (119/110) usually will be much higher. :icon_cool

14. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Paying for a professional isn't the problem. In Dish's endeavour to keep their programming costs low, they pass on many of the customer's requests onto their contractor's backs. As a contractor, I try to balance the jobs where I don't make as much money with the jobs where I come out ahead. Pre-wired houses are a good thing for a contractor. But being a professional doesn't mean being someone's fool either. Some customer's behave as if you are at their house solely for them and noone else. You either take up your entire day catering to their "I want my pole mounted 150' from the house, or what do you mean your not going to place my cable in conduit and trench it 150'", or you "professionally" move on. I've heard all the stories of DNS (or their sales partners) promising customers the world. If DNS only wants to pay a subcontractor $40 to go to a customer's apt to relocate a two-dish setup from the rail into two buckets with concrete and poles, they can expect a crappy result, a job that won't be done, or they can send one of their techs out. Allow contractors to pass those costs down to the customer and I'll bet you'll have better quality installs, or customers not asking for all the ridiculous add-ons that they'll never have to pay for. :icon_cool

15. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    When was the last time Dish raised the amount they pay for an install?

16. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Exactly. :icon_cool:icon_cool

17. mworks

mworks Mentor

Oct 8, 2007
    Well I went outside yesterday and tried tweaking the dish a bit myself.
    I know at one point while the installer was here, that 119 was at 110 signal strength. It was at 74 before I started tweaking.

The azimuth and skew were both off for my zip code so I adjusted it to what it was supposed to be and got the signal up to 101. I checked all the cables , made sure everything was tight. Still no 129 sat though and so I gave up and put in the call.

Supposed to come out on the weekend .

18. Raymie

Raymie Godfather

Mar 31, 2007
    "When i got dish network i never gotten a Dish 1000, so i miss my RSN HD, they gave me a DISH 500+ ,, am i screwed outta money or something if i wanted to get a 1000? I wanna be able to see 129. And my signals are really low, now that the new software came into effect."

If you have HD locals or internationals on the 118.7 satellite (which is the + in 500+), you can add a 129 LNB (effectively making it a 1000+). If 118.7 is nothing you need, get a 1000 (no +).

19. mworks

mworks Mentor

Oct 8, 2007
    Dish came out and put up a seperate dish for 61.5 ?
    They said I had no line of sight for 129.
    Is this going to cause problems in the future ?
    Will dish continue to use both satellites for the same HD content ?

20. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    Not for HD locals and RSN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.