No audio via HDMI - HR44 Genie to soundbar

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dslchiphead, Nov 9, 2019.

1. dslchiphead

dslchiphead AllStar

Nov 27, 2005
    I bought a Kinivo 550BN HDMI switch this week to act as the input front-end to a Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar (only 2 input ports) which then feeds the TV via HDMI. I having a problem with it. I am using the 550BN with 3 HDMI input connections from a DirecTV HR54 receiver, Roku, and a Panasonic Blu-ray UHD player. The output from the 550BN feeds the Samsung soundbar via its HDMI1 input port. The output from the soundbar goes to a Samsung TV on its HDMI1 input port.

Two components devices (Roku, DVD) works like it should with no problems except the DirecTV HR54. On an on/off cycle on the components, the audio from the HR54 is lost on the soundbar. The picture does get displayed on the TV. I also tried a HR44 and that has the same problem. If I hook the switch output directly to the TV (bypass the soundbar), it works fine. If I hook the HR54 directly to the soundbar (bypass the switch), it also works fine. It's crazy!

I've searched around Google and do find others with somewhat the same issue with HR44 and other equipment, but never an answer of what is causing it. What's up with the DirecTV HDMI?

Thanks.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Check the HDMI Control setting.

3. dslchiphead

dslchiphead AllStar

Nov 27, 2005
    I had the HDMI Control off so that's not the issue. I have found the other day that I can reproduce it at will. If the sound bar is turned off then on (say the next day I want to watch DirecTV), the DirecTV HR-44 will not reconnect to it thru the 550BN switch. If I power cycle (remove the power as the switch is always on, no on/off switch) the switch, the sound back comes on. If I turn off then on the sound bar, the sound goes off (picture is always is displayed which is weird). Both the Roku and DVD player does not exhibit this behavior. They always work.

So it may look like the HR-44 is not renegotiating thru the switch to the sound bar, but as the switch is always on, it sees no change to connection even if the sound bar went from off to on. Of course, that's just my guess.

4. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    How did you get a HR 54 and a HR44 ?
    Since you know the cable or the switch are not the problem then the problem is the hdmi handshake with the the soundbar.
    Try connecting the HR to the soundbar bypassing the switch.
    Try turning on the soundbar first before the HR 44 or 54.Then try the HR first then the soundbar.

My HR 44 will not produce sound from my Outlaw 975 unless the 975 is last to be turned on.

Good Luck