No benefits for 20 year subscriber

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by william f. schmittle, Aug 20, 2020.

1. william f. schmittle

william f. schmittle New Member

Aug 20, 2020
    Wow, to DISH, it doesn't matter that you are a 20 year subscriber. I'm a snowbird and I recently upgraded my DVR to a HOPPER at my winter home. I'm at my summer home now and wanted to upgrade it to a hopper. I called DISH and was told I would have to sign a two year contract. After 20 years they want a contract. I asked to talk to a supervisor and she said I would have to pay a $95.00 tech fee or subscribe to a protection plan of $9.95 a month. Then she said she would waive the protection fee for 3 months but I would have to call in 3 months to discontinue the protection plan. HOW RIDICULOUS. After 20 years they want to play a game. I had the protection plan for 15 years and never used it so I discontinued it 5 years ago. Now they are forcing me to have it again, but they waived it for 3 months, then I have to cancel something I don't have. I finally agreed to what ever they said and my WO is 143858639 scheduled for the 24th. I installed dish 20 years ago when they 1st started out. Use to get free movies occasionally, but now they give you nothing but a head ache. Guess its time to look at an alternative TV subscriber. Its ironic that with the installation of my first hopper several months ago I was waived all this ********. With this new hopper, my bill just went up an additional $10.00 but this doesn't satisfy dish, they have to make me jump fences to get the equipment I want.

2. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    That is unfortunate. But all services seem to be feeling a pinch. Why not try the CSR roulette wheel. Try back again and see if you get a different deal? It has worked for some.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  3. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    No one gets a new piece of hardware without a 2 year commitment. No one gets a truck roll free (Hopper installation) without the protection plan or a fee. What's the problem? I guess you can skip the value of Dish's Hopper system and go somewhere else for a new customer deal, your loss. The cost they are quoting is nominal in the long term scheme of things.

Go ahead and try CSR roulette, you might or might not get a price break on the Hopper, but you will have a 2 year commitment. They offered a way out of the full $95 truck fee.

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    The only way for no commitment is to go buy it yourself and install it yourself. They are really offering a pretty good deal - in the end you should have a properly installed and correctly working system. The techs are required to try to upsell to you, but they are not excessively so (they know how to take NO for an answer).

Poorsha likes this.
  5. comizzou573

comizzou573 Legend

Aug 6, 2007
    I think OP meant by upgrade, he wanted to buy a hopper for his house and do installation himself. I encountered similar situation with Directv. I was going to buy a dish and receiver myself, but they wanted me to commit to a contract, and charge all these ridiculous fees to get the receiver activated. Sounds like they make extra revenue with all these silly fees.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That is not the way I read the story. What I see is that DISH did give this customer a free upgrade to a Hopper several months ago but wants to charge him for the second Hopper he is asking for now. I am also reading about a summer home and a winter home. I am wondering if he has stacked both homes on the same account or if he has two accounts.

7. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    If there aren't 2 accounts, that would be a reason not to want a tech to install. :D

8. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    If you've been with DISH 20 years (like me) you may be old enough to ask for a Senior discount. Basically you get a PPV per month. Yay.

9. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    May I ask how long do you get the PPV's?

10. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I
    I'm not sure. I assume you get 1/month as long as you remain subscribed. I think I'll check.

11. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I could find nothing about Senior discounts on the web site. A call would be necessary. Often with the right CSR they will throw a bone your way to keep you as a customer.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH 55 Exclusive Offer | DISH

"Best Value in TV for Customers aged 55 and Older"
    "This exclusive offer gives you the best TV value, technology and service with some added extras. Get no cost in home service visits from our expert technicians with our DISH Protect Plus protection plan including Advanced Agent Access, Identity Protection and more. Plus your first On Demand movie rental every month is on us, with over 20,000 rentable On Demand titles and over 80,000 total On Demand titles."

Other offers:
    Special Offers | DISH

13. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    I am well out of original contract. Last year I got a $30 credit and that's coming to an end. Been a DISH customer for 7 years on this swing and 6 years the first time - after taking a time out for Directv for 4 years.

I cringe at having to go through this all over again, and right now I am reviewing all the offers from everyone from Comcast to Fubo, Hulu, Youtube, Sling, Vidgo and the rest. I can honestly say this - with Comcast's new focus on internet - my internet bill is going way up.

My analysis of combined internet/TV shows DISH is higher than every competitor. EVERY. And that's not just using teaser and sign up rates. DISH is consistently $30 - $60 more and I am not getting some of the sports channels the others are getting. DISH does have the BEST equipment in the industry.

I know DISH will probably give me something - but I do NOT want to sign another 24 month contract. And so I am at a crossroads here, and like 20 year customer, I find this to be a sad situation I am in.

14. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Is this offer exclusive or can it be combined with other offers?

For instance I have a small discount on my programming package with the 2 year price lock. Can the 55+ offer be combined with my preferred customer discount with 2 year price lock?

15. ncbitman

ncbitman New Member

Sep 4, 2020
    That's funny, as my story is nearly identical to yours. I'm also a snowbird, and I upgraded my Hopper last year. I've had technical problems, and I also had to do the temporary protection plan. The tech fixed one problem, but caused another. I've finally ditched DISH at my 2nd home and I'm going to YouTube TV. It has much better picture quality, and I don't think I'll miss anything about DISH.