1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No boxes available for upgrade in my area?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DJJ2, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Jul 1, 2010 #1 of 19
    DJJ2

DJJ2 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Hello all,

I have a H20 box and wanted to steam from my pc to tv using the Media Play feature but I don't believe my box supports it.
    I called Directv yesterday and talked to a friendly but not too knowledgeable person whose response to all the following questions was "I will look into that for you sir".

Can the H20 use the Media Play feature?
    Can I exchange my box for one that does?
    Will there be a charge for the exchange?
    Does a service tech come out or can I take my box somewhere and hook-up the new one myself?

Really some of these questions seemed to be new to the kid I was talking to and he never really answered them.

Then he states that there are no boxes in my area that I can upgrade to any way and that I should call back in a month!

So does that seem right that there are no boxes higher then my old h20 in my area?

I live in a very populated area between Ann Arbor and Detroit in Michigan so I find it hard to believe they don't keep any boxes in my area.

Thanks for any help.

2. Jul 1, 2010 #2 of 19
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    To do any type of streaming/sharing would require a receiver with a network connection, which the H20 doesn't have.
    I very much doubt that there are "no receivers" in your area, or that you can't get an upgrade from DirecTV.
    I kind of doubt it would be free though.

3. Jul 1, 2010 #3 of 19
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The H20 does not have network capability, so it will not work for Media Share streaming. You might be able to have Directv send you a newer model but there may be a cost of up to $99 to upgrade. You could also purchase one (it will still be leased) from a dealer, such as Solid Signal. If your H20 is leased, they will probably want it to be returned and will send you a box and prepaid shipping label.

4. Jul 1, 2010 #4 of 19
    DJJ2

DJJ2 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Thanks for the fast responses!!

You two were more help in 8 minutes than the 20 I spent on the phone with Directv!!

As for your answers I was afraid that was the case. Too bad I got an out dated box only last year.
    Don't think the $99 charge is worth the few times I would use the Media Play service.

Thanks again...

5. Jul 1, 2010 #5 of 19
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    There appears to be a national shortage of HD gear (receivers, lnb & switches). Upgrades are getting pushed out. All areas are on allotment. Some areas are faring better than others depending on how much stock they had squirreled away.

6. Jul 1, 2010 #6 of 19
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    I guess they are not cranking out the refurbished units fast enough.

7. Jul 1, 2010 #7 of 19
    jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000 Hall Of Fame

Feb 15, 2007
    Manchester NH
    theres a big shortage of DECA adapters in NH
    i have been cancelled for my MRV upgrade twice :mad:

8. Jul 1, 2010 #8 of 19
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I think the demand for whole home dvr service plus the pushed up "free HD" launch caught them with their pants around their ankles.

9. Jul 2, 2010 #9 of 19
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I predicted that... :lol:

10. Justin85

Justin85 Legend

Jun 16, 2010
    I just got a buddy of mine set up with an install, and it has been rescheduled by the HSP three times this week due to lack of equipment. He is a new sub, and is getting a little hesitant to go through with it... I hope they hurry up and get their supply lines squared away or it's going to cost them new customers.

FYI: He ordered 1 HDDVR + MVR, and 1 HD.

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    RobertE,

I think that is the way they do business.

Instead of presenting a system that was accepted and running it until the overhead was paid and cash was flowing I get the feeling that every other year a new technical wrinkle was added.

If you look at the progression from Primestar to the current HDDVR with MRV
    and VOD you see a bunch of guys running around with their pants down trying to distribute new equipment to replace working equipment. Trainers have been training constantly. The industry has filled with customers rushing from one unrequested new toy to the next unrequested new toy.

It has been a wild ride. I think excessive commercial ads and low tech pay are balancing the books for now. Stock is up.

Joe

12. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    I disagree (somewhat).

Primestar really doesn't count. The progression from RCA DSS to today has been (IMHO) well thought out and implemented. All those original boxes and all their SD followons, from any manufacturer, still work.

HD has been more unpredictable, primarily due to the FCC's "DTV is coming", "No, not yet" and the cost of HD televisions. MPEG2 HD was clearly a false start, and the H20 wasn't a very good start for MPEG4 HD. (To their credit, D* figured that out). Every later IRD works (with the exception of 3D) with all available functions. The last thing D* wants to do is to replace working equipment (although that's what existing customers want).

'Technical wrinkles' have been driven by competition. FIOS and Dish. The same is true of pricing. Dish forced D*'s hand on the free HD (doesn't seem to matter that HD has been 'free' on cable for a long time [at least here]). Since there's more suppliers of Hx24s, someone at D* anticipated the increased demand. It's just happening much faster than expected. Just before the MRV announce, I told an installer, "You guys are going to get slammed." He seemed puzzled.

It certainly has been a wild ride. I just look at the dueling Dish and DirecTV commercials as comic relief. The shameful tech pay (and resulting turnover and incompetence) needs to be fixed.

13. DJJ2

DJJ2 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Seeing that my box is an older one it makes me wonder...

Is it a total luck of the draw for which box you get on install?

If so, because I got an older box, I now have to pay for a newer box that has a feature I want?

But if by chance my installer had a newer model box when I got service, less than a year ago, I would not have to pay now for the upgrade?

It's not like I want a new line run or anything or a special box that you only get if you pay more for it. Or the newest box.

What I am wondering is if my next door neighbor and I both got a new install on the same date and I got a h20 box and he got a newer model that could do Media Play, that I would then have to pay extra to get a box like his?

Am I right on this?

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Supply was ok for the MRV launch, it's just that the local offices dropped the ball on training and ordering enough gear. Then Dish dropped the free HD bomb and that really pushed a tight system past it's limits.

15. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Yes you are right.
    I do think if you got the right CSR on the phone that they could help you out somehow. A discount, some credits to defer the cost or something. You also could lie and say it doesn't work anymore. Of course they might send you another H20 to replace it.

16. DJJ2

DJJ2 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    That doesn't seem right.

I understand they want to use up the old stock but it seems wrong you are at the mercy of truck stock.
    I will have to call back and see if I can get a better CSR who will work with me.
    Like I told the first CSR I was not asking for a tech to come out, I could exchange the box myself. I even pay the shipping, which could not be much as the boxes themselves don't weigh much.

When I got the install I thought I was getting a newer box because I was getting the HD DVR.
    Besides it was only going to be temporary because I was going to get the TIVO box when it came out later that year or early this year!!:D:nono2:

Thanks for the replies...

17. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    DW,

You are the kind of guy that makes this forum work!

Regarding Primestar...it was a CATV invention to ease the Primestar Partners (CATV Co.s) strain for remote rural installations. When word got out that the new SAT thing worked better that the local CATV the cable wonks found themselves funding their own competition. SO they sold their cx list to Directv...BRILLIANT!

My point was that Primestar was the end of customers paying for service. A picture was offered for sale and the provider........ provided. The subtle change was that equipment began to be customer property; you buy the box or it is offered for FREE.

Your observation that the oldest boxes still work is a tribute to the ability of someone at Directv to insist that it it easier to keep an old customer than find new ones.

The Primestar receiver (IMHO) had more bells and whistles than consumers could master but it was pretty cool. Directv's first official act was to dumb it down so it could be given away without pain.

I agree with your summary of the competition that Directv seemed compelled to out shoot, shot for shot. My thought is that the (knee jerk) responses pissed away the money.

So, as the complexity of the installations increases, they can't find people to work for them. They can't seem to keep track of equipment.

My last call to an installation entity ended when I told an HSP recruiter I would be glad to become one of their newbies but, how about the judgments against their former contractors?...(around $8000.00 in judgments and another $5000.00 from vanished subs). And my numbers (losses) are low!

Until now Directv has been just ignoring the squeals as their HSPs did what they do. Now customers expect a system about fifteen years old to perform like a mature company. Until they stop eating their young, Directv (IMHO) is going to stay a first generation start up company.....running around with their pants down!

Joe

18. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    If they're going to make you pay the $99 anyway, I'd order an H24 from solidsignal.com If you're gonna pay full price, might as well get the latest receiver, and ordering from solidsignal guarantees it.

19. DJJ2

DJJ2 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Thanks for the advise I will keep that in mind.